Sub Par Coal?

GettingStoked
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III

Post by GettingStoked » Tue. Feb. 24, 2015 8:42 am

Up until my just recent coal delivery, I've always had no problem getting my channing III up to a heat level where it would be 78* in the basement. With my last delivery of coal, I am having a hard time keeping the basement up to 65*. My channing is running off a coal troll so it's all automatic.. I just add coal. Nothing has changed other then the new coal... Is it possible to have like a 25% or better drop off in heat production from the type of rise coal I get? Never had this problem before, and before I call the coal guy, just want to double check. Any input would be helpful. Thanks

Chris

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Feb. 24, 2015 8:55 am

Heat levels in a space generally will vary or change with changes in heat loads.
Best to compare stove temps and not room temps. :idea:

GettingStoked

Post by GettingStoked » Tue. Feb. 24, 2015 9:05 am

I don't have actual numbers, but I can say, the magnetic device on the outside of the stove, it use to be over at about 3 o’clock when getting up to temp.. now it’s at about 12 o’clock. I can put my hand on the stove for 4 or 5 seconds… I couldn’t put my hand near the stove prior.
McGiever wrote:Heat levels in a space generally will vary or change with changes in heat loads.
Best to compare stove temps and not room temps. :idea:

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Tue. Feb. 24, 2015 9:12 am

Gotcha, Something's not right.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Tue. Feb. 24, 2015 9:21 am

Is the coal wet or does it have a lot of fines in it? Was it a bulk delivery of loose coal or pallets of bagged?

GettingStoked

Post by GettingStoked » Tue. Feb. 24, 2015 9:30 am

It was a 2 ton delivery, yes wet, yes a lot of fines.. Comes off the shovel, into the bucket I use to bring inside, like oatmeal. Also noticed that on the stage, I have about a 3 inch band of hot coals at the top of the stage near where the coal comes from the hopper... I would think I would have a wider band maybe 5 inches down more towards the middle of the stage.. especially when the temp in the room is 65 and the coal troll is set to 70.. Seems like it's not getting enough coal onto the stage or something.
titleist1 wrote:Is the coal wet or does it have a lot of fines in it? Was it a bulk delivery of loose coal or pallets of bagged?

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Tue. Feb. 24, 2015 10:12 am

wet coal will have issues feeding onto the grates. you need to get it drier before putting it into the hopper.

if it is just damp it should be ok but you may need to increase your feed rate a little to get it to burn the same as the dry coal you were using. I have noticed over the years on mine if the 'rice' size is a little on the smaller side I had to increase the air just a bit, if it is on the damp side I had to increase the feed rate just a little. Only minor adjustments were needed if at all.

GettingStoked

Post by GettingStoked » Tue. Feb. 24, 2015 10:34 am

Ok, I had upped my feed rate a bit, but before I went and started adjusting I wanted to check... sounds like I know what to do.. Thanks for the information I will try and dry the coal out by bringing more of it inside. If temps ever warm up and it gets dryer, should I expect it to basically burn they way it use too? ie I will have to lower the feed rate back down so not to burn too hot... etc
titleist1 wrote:wet coal will have issues feeding onto the grates. you need to get it drier before putting it into the hopper.

if it is just damp it should be ok but you may need to increase your feed rate a little to get it to burn the same as the dry coal you were using. I have noticed over the years on mine if the 'rice' size is a little on the smaller side I had to increase the air just a bit, if it is on the damp side I had to increase the feed rate just a little. Only minor adjustments were needed if at all.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Tue. Feb. 24, 2015 11:40 am

When I was bringing in wet frozen chestnut coal I poured in a 5 quart metal pail and
put it on the boiler to melt. I then poured off the water and then put it back on the
boiler to melt/drip some more and it worked well. I use bagged stove now as it
is easier to deal with and my supplier has it stored indoors out of the weather.

You might just want to get a small herd of 5 quart metal pails from
Tractor Supply and do that with your coal as you could add moisture to your
living space at the same time by letting the melt water from the coal evaporate.
while the small pail is on the boiler if you have room for two pails.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Tue. Feb. 24, 2015 11:45 am

Sounds more like your coal is NOT sub-par. You only need to burn it better. :idea:

fireguy

Post by fireguy » Sat. Mar. 07, 2015 11:41 am

I had the same issue with coal this past winter,bought three ton from somewhere else and had to have the ash door open to produce any heat and that's not right,once that coal was gone went to another place and stove is burning fine now,you can't get near it!

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”