Interesting Locke / Warm Morning Stove Bit From Inter-Web

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Mar. 07, 2015 6:59 pm

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sat. Mar. 07, 2015 7:07 pm

That is interesting. Thanks for sharing.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Mar. 07, 2015 8:38 pm

yeah, have no idea how accurate it is but it made a nice "story"

steve

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Mar. 07, 2015 8:44 pm

Yeah, I'm not convinced the fire bricks would retain enough heat to keep yer house warm for hours after the fire went out. :?

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Mar. 07, 2015 9:11 pm

Lightning wrote:Yeah, I'm not convinced the fire bricks would retain enough heat to keep yer house warm for hours after the fire went out. :?
that may be subject to some interpretation. did they in fact mean the "house" or the "stove" would still be warm ?

another thing to consider from the "Jack remembers" account is the tending practice that appears to have been in place. it seems that the process was to start a fire every morning, meaning of course the stove and fire would have to mature thru the day and be in good shape by evening BUT they don't seem to have been re- tending or filling the stove for the night, thus cold mornings.

we have members here using these stoves in 24 / 7 heating applications and reporting no such problems or issues.

steve

Buck47
Hand Fed Coal Stove: "Artistic" Universal # 360, Carter Oak #24, Locke120, Monarch cook stove, Home Corral #16 base burner
Coal Size/Type: Nut : Blaschak

Post by Buck47 » Sat. Mar. 07, 2015 10:42 pm

I've heated all winter with a Locke120 Warm Morning. Like any coal stove it gets as hot or as cool as you want.

I remember reading this months ago and thinking [The woman's husband was an idiot who didn't know how to keep a coal fire going]

I walk out every morning from a cool bedroom to a warm 74 degree kitchen & parlor. No cold morning where I live :roll:

Buck47
Hand Fed Coal Stove: "Artistic" Universal # 360, Carter Oak #24, Locke120, Monarch cook stove, Home Corral #16 base burner
Coal Size/Type: Nut : Blaschak

Post by Buck47 » Sat. Mar. 07, 2015 10:46 pm

Lightning wrote:Yeah, I'm not convinced the fire bricks would retain enough heat to keep yer house warm for hours after the fire went out. :?
Lightning you are correct. The stove's fire bricks cool down along with the bed of coals. It's that slow dying fire process we are all familiar with.

Regards: john

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”