2000 Impala

Coalfire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 96K btu Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Coalfire » Sat. Mar. 21, 2015 8:30 pm

carlherrnstein wrote:Im not 100% sure but I think it has a timing chain an one cam.
Ok just one cam in the block than. Take your top two torque mounts off. the ones that bolt to the rad support. flip them back now with the car in park rock it back and forth when the engine is slammed front quick set the parking brake. This will allow access to the back plugs. you could also attach a ratchet strap some how to crank the engine front, I just liked to use what the car already has on it ;)

Will make it a little easier for compression testing

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Sat. Mar. 21, 2015 8:54 pm

My bet #6 rod bearing.

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Sun. Mar. 22, 2015 3:32 am

Coalfire wrote:Take your top two torque mounts off. the ones that bolt to the rad support. flip them back now with the car in park rock it back and forth when the engine is slammed front quick set the parking brake. This will allow access to the back plugs. you could also attach a ratchet strap some how to crank the engine front, I just liked to use what the car already has on it ;)

Will make it a little easier for compression testing
Dammit... I've been crawling under them. :mad:

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sun. Mar. 22, 2015 6:21 am

My son had the 3800 in his Malibu, and that's about the mileage when the engine locked up. First was the knocking, then heated up, then the engine slowed down, then locked.

My Monte Carlo had the 3400, Mine all at once started knocking, the engine heated up and slowed down. I waited until the engine cooled down, and got it home. The car made one more trip, straight to a dealer where I traded it on a new car.

I was told that only the 3800's were afflicted with that problem, but my 3400 was also.

You will be rebuilding that engine, or sticking another one in.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Mar. 22, 2015 10:26 am

Well,for Openers,what's the condition overall of the car itself? From what appears to be the high mileage on your vehicles,I'm figuring Your just a regular Joe who wants to get all You can from Your hard earned dollars. Being Tactical and Practical,if You mentally budget for a short block,and do all the work Yourself,will it pay off? Dilemmas And Dollars ! Who needs 'Vegas when You've got Gambling Action like this right in Your Own Yard ? :bang:

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”