LL Pocono Hopper Rust Issue After Only 3 Years

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Mar. 20, 2015 11:55 am

Even stainless takes proper yearly maintenance.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Fri. Mar. 20, 2015 5:41 pm

freetown fred wrote:Even stainless takes proper yearly maintenance.
Yes but will hold up to a little more abuse. We are trying to do what we can.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Mar. 20, 2015 10:11 pm

And doing it real well Dave. It still ain't magic. Just an old farmers thoughts.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Fri. Mar. 20, 2015 10:30 pm

On my Keystoker 90 I annually lightly sand any spots showing rust, or color change in the galvanized finish and top coat with cold galvanizing paint. It seems to work, I am reluctant to use coatings that may inhibit the flow of coal with added friction.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Mar. 21, 2015 6:40 am

On my HITZER hopper, I use a BBQ cleaning brush & with the outstanding draw I have with my chimney, I soak the sucker with WD40, as I do with the entire innards of the stove-- shut her down & walla--set till the fall:)

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Mar. 21, 2015 8:06 am

Having a draw during the summer has to help. Even if you unhook the pipes it is still moving air near the stove. And if you have a block chimney with a draw and keep it hooked up I would think that would help a lot.

i remember when they first came out with SS barreled muzzleloaders and all the rookies were buying them thinking they didnt have to clean the powder/sulpher out after shooting them. They had junk barrels pretty fast.

Its real corrosive stuff, both of them. There is no easy, fit all fix. Its just part of the learning curve.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Mar. 21, 2015 10:40 am

I've got to say,being a Complete Nobody around here,that I'm very Proud of how "Der Coal Board" handled this Topic,and related this Specific Hopper Corrosion Problem to All Manufacturers of a Hopper Equipped Coal Burning Appliance. I've never liked "Shills or Stoolies" that would go blind on an issue due to the fact that they were blindly satisfying an Individual or an Entity that was a Monetery Sponsor or Backer of what The Mayor,and Us,are accomplishing here. Thankfully,We've Got None Of That Happening Here ! As a Group,We're Painfully Honest With Each Other. Dave And Matt took a Great Personal Risk when They put it all on The Line and took Leisure Line Stoves Over And,Most Importantly,Forward....Flyer5(Dave) is the most visible of the Two here. Matt(Matthaus) comes on periodically,is always having a finger on the Pulse of LL here,but seems perfectly Comfortable,Trusting And Confident in Dave's Presence here. Going Forward,Two Thoughts are coming from me....1.) First And Foremost,If You have a Problem with any Leisure Line Product,Pick Up The Phone and Call ! These Two Guys Have Never Hidden From An Issue,And Have Repeatedly Demonstrated,Right Here On The Board,Their Wilingness To Bend Over Backward To Help Their Loyal Customers,and maintain The Integrity AndeReputation Of Leisure Line Stoves.......I do believe that there may even be a Personal Cellphone Number on Their Literature for access. If I'm Wrong,Shoot Me,but I think I'm Correct....Now That's Service !.....2.) As the Owner of a Hopper-Fed Harman Stoker,I've gone through the Maintenance Procedure of Monitoring for Corrosion,especially at the bottom where everything funnels toward the Target Feed Area,and would periodically address The Issue......We're All Here To Help Each Other,And Entertain All Of A Manner Of Personalities While We're Doing It...Thank God ! As Major Dick Winters (101 AB/506th/Easy Co.)Taught:"If We Don't Worry About Who Get's The Credit,Together We Can Get Alot More Done".....We've Proven That Here! We're All About "The Adjustment",We're All About Solving "The Problem"......Carry On,My Fine Coal-Burning Carbonites !! :yes: :up: :dancing:

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sat. Mar. 21, 2015 1:39 pm

Great write-up, HB.

I posted what I did because I happen to have one of those 'damp houses' . My stuff rusts no matter company makes it.

Not to mention, that everyone's house is different, which is what Dave ( I think) was trying to convey ( Flyer 5 wrote: and the fact that very few rot out kind of proves its an environment issue) . An LL hopper would probably last 2 years at best in my basement.

Even though I don't own a Leisure Line product, I can't sit by and let the manufacturer get bashed when my house is on the 'bad end' of the environmental scale.

Don

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Mar. 22, 2015 12:21 pm

Just an idea, about Smitty post, if having a steel hopper, I would try ceramic on cleaned steel.
I saw ceramic paint in spray can for headers and motor parts in hardware stores. Not shure if it's a good product but could make a good test :?:

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Tue. Mar. 24, 2015 9:31 pm

Pocono, 5 years old, all dry coal, always .03-04 draft verified by manometer.

All coal emptied at spring shutdown. Entire stove cleaned. All firebox holes stuffed with plastic bags. Absorption crystals from HD put in firebox, reminder card on door to replace crystals every 2 months during summer, all pipes also go in firebox. Reduces pipe rust to nil in off-season.

Incredible mechanical reliability. Simple to fix which has not been necessary yet.

Do your own "other stoves" parts cost with consideration of many specialized sensors and OEM gear-trains/motors.

Where are other stove support on this forum ?

Extremely happy with LL.

Thank you LL.

Do you sell stock ? Give me 2k to start.

Ug

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Wed. Mar. 25, 2015 8:49 am

Yeah LL when are you going to go public. I want part of the IPO.

emposter
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by emposter » Sun. Sep. 27, 2015 11:32 am

Hambden Bob wrote:I've got to say,being a Complete Nobody around here,that I'm very Proud of how "Der Coal Board" handled this Topic,and related this Specific Hopper Corrosion Problem to All Manufacturers of a Hopper Equipped Coal Burning Appliance. I've never liked "Shills or Stoolies" that would go blind on an issue due to the fact that they were blindly satisfying an Individual or an Entity that was a Monetery Sponsor or Backer of what The Mayor,and Us,are accomplishing here. Thankfully,We've Got None Of That Happening Here ! As a Group,We're Painfully Honest With Each Other. Dave And Matt took a Great Personal Risk when They put it all on The Line and took Leisure Line Stoves Over And,Most Importantly,Forward....Flyer5(Dave) is the most visible of the Two here. Matt(Matthaus) comes on periodically,is always having a finger on the Pulse of LL here,but seems perfectly Comfortable,Trusting And Confident in Dave's Presence here. Going Forward,Two Thoughts are coming from me....1.) First And Foremost,If You have a Problem with any Leisure Line Product,Pick Up The Phone and Call ! These Two Guys Have Never Hidden From An Issue,And Have Repeatedly Demonstrated,Right Here On The Board,Their Wilingness To Bend Over Backward To Help Their Loyal Customers,and maintain The Integrity AndeReputation Of Leisure Line Stoves.......I do believe that there may even be a Personal Cellphone Number on Their Literature for access. If I'm Wrong,Shoot Me,but I think I'm Correct....Now That's Service !.....2.) As the Owner of a Hopper-Fed Harman Stoker,I've gone through the Maintenance Procedure of Monitoring for Corrosion,especially at the bottom where everything funnels toward the Target Feed Area,and would periodically address The Issue......We're All Here To Help Each Other,And Entertain All Of A Manner Of Personalities While We're Doing It...Thank God ! As Major Dick Winters (101 AB/506th/Easy Co.)Taught:"If We Don't Worry About Who Get's The Credit,Together We Can Get Alot More Done".....We've Proven That Here! We're All About "The Adjustment",We're All About Solving "The Problem"......Carry On,My Fine Coal-Burning Carbonites !! :yes: :up: :dancing:
HUA!

Wiz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

Post by Wiz » Sun. Sep. 27, 2015 7:14 pm

If it was my stove, I would've replaced hopper and called it a day.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Mon. Sep. 28, 2015 10:53 am

SWPaDon wrote:Great write-up, HB.

I posted what I did because I happen to have one of those 'damp houses' . My stuff rusts no matter company makes it.

Not to mention, that everyone's house is different, which is what Dave ( I think) was trying to convey ( Flyer 5 wrote: and the fact that very few rot out kind of proves its an environment issue) . An LL hopper would probably last 2 years at best in my basement.

Even though I don't own a Leisure Line product, I can't sit by and let the manufacturer get bashed when my house is on the 'bad end' of the environmental scale.

Don
Give it time. :)

k9 Bara
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1996 EFM 520 DF
Coal Size/Type: Buck / Reading

Post by k9 Bara » Mon. Sep. 28, 2015 1:50 pm

Coal left in the hopper when not in use caused that rust issue. I buy used stoves quite often and and see it time after time. Not a LL issue, it's a poor maintenance issue.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”