Direct Venting With Close Neighbor

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Mar. 28, 2015 8:26 pm

Indeed it is W. & yes, above the roof is the solution.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sat. Mar. 28, 2015 8:42 pm

Hi all, just want to say a 90 yr old neighbor might get a kick out of it, seeing she probably knows more about it than some. ;)

mariohotshot

Post by mariohotshot » Mon. Mar. 30, 2015 2:47 pm

My experience with a Keystoker 105 with direct vent. I extended my pipe up past the roof to avoid the sulfur smell. I had a hopper fire and melted my cam in the feeder. I called Keystoker and they told me never to extend the pipe on a direct vent! The high winds will throw off the direct vent. They said it should only extend out and up a short distance. This is my personal experience.

caucapon

Post by caucapon » Mon. Mar. 30, 2015 3:19 pm

mariohotshot wrote:My experience with a Keystoker 105 with direct vent. I extended my pipe up past the roof to avoid the sulfur smell. I had a hopper fire and melted my cam in the feeder. I called Keystoker and they told me never to extend the pipe on a direct vent! The high winds will throw off the direct vent. They said it should only extend out and up a short distance. This is my personal experience.
Thanks for this comment. I suspected that direct vents were not ideal candidates for significant vertical extension. This helps to confirm it.

You also helped answer my question as stated in the the first post. You apparently smelled sulfur enough to convince you that the exhaust needed extension past the roof. Not a good sign for someone concerned about near neighbors.

Dirty Steve
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil- Off line

Post by Dirty Steve » Tue. Mar. 31, 2015 2:59 pm

Are wood burning appliances allowed in your neighborhood? I assume coal would be afforded the same lattitude as a wood appliance. Any option for a masonary chimney to get fumes up and over the top of everyone? That said, the top of my chimney is 30ft or more from ground and I still smell it. Luckily my only neighbors are cows! 8-)

caucapon

Post by caucapon » Tue. Mar. 31, 2015 3:54 pm

Dirty Steve wrote:Are wood burning appliances allowed in your neighborhood? I assume coal would be afforded the same lattitude as a wood appliance. Any option for a masonary chimney to get fumes up and over the top of everyone? That said, the top of my chimney is 30ft or more from ground and I still smell it. Luckily my only neighbors are cows! 8-)
Wood burning is fine. If I were thirty-five or forty years of age, I'd gladly go for a masonry chimney. However the cost of masonry or stainless (even with me installing) in addition to the cost of the stove, permits, transport (there's little coal stove retail activity here), etc. really makes me nervous. I hope I'll be functional well into my eighties or even longer. Family history suggests that's a pipe dream. I really want whatever I purchase to amortize over three or four years. When we start talking five or more, there's a real good chance I'll never see full payback.

Direct vent is an inexpensive route. Unfortunate that it's limitations are so significant .

Thanks for your comment.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Mar. 31, 2015 8:43 pm

Maybe it's just me but, I love the smell of burning anthracite.. lol

Bituminous however smells like a tire on a bonfire.. :lol:

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Tue. Mar. 31, 2015 8:45 pm

Lightning wrote:Maybe it's just me but, I love the smell of burning anthracite.. lol

Don't be makin fun of my coal there pal :box: toothy

oilman

Post by oilman » Thu. Apr. 09, 2015 3:59 pm

mariohotshot wrote:My experience with a Keystoker 105 with direct vent. I extended my pipe up past the roof to avoid the sulfur smell. I had a hopper fire and melted my cam in the feeder. I called Keystoker and they told me never to extend the pipe on a direct vent! The high winds will throw off the direct vent. They said it should only extend out and up a short distance. This is my personal experience.
I was going to mention this but you beat me to it. NEVER go vertical on a direct vent, you will have a hopper fire. :cry:

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Thu. Apr. 09, 2015 4:14 pm

oilman wrote:
I was going to mention this but you beat me to it. NEVER go vertical on a direct vent, you will have a hopper fire. :cry:
Is it possible to build a chase on the exterior with an open bottom to conceal the direct vent and bring the exhaust up but because of the open bottom NOT increase the draft that caused the hopper fire?

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Thu. Apr. 09, 2015 4:51 pm

caucapon wrote:
Thanks for this comment. I suspected that direct vents were not ideal candidates for significant vertical extension. This helps to confirm it.

You also helped answer my question as stated in the the first post. You apparently smelled sulfur enough to convince you that the exhaust needed extension past the roof. Not a good sign for someone concerned about near neighbors.
So what's the leaning? Stove or no stove? Direct vent or not? Interesting dilemma..is your neighbor going to kick in for your heating bills? Your family's welfare should come first in my book.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Apr. 09, 2015 6:44 pm

Ironically, some like to keep the peace with their neighbors & take steps to insure that.. I believe you asked in another post--"what attitude?" need I say more ;)

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. Apr. 10, 2015 4:34 am

freetown fred wrote:Ironically, some like to keep the peace with their neighbors & take steps to insure that.. I believe you asked in another post--"what attitude?" need I say more ;)
Who doesn't want to foster good relations with their neighbors?

But not at the expense of going broke ... "Sorry son, I cannot send you to college because the neighbor did not want me to do something I could legally do and I did not want to upset him".

And lets face it, I would guess that 99% of the folks here did not go around to their neighbors and ask their opinion of the members putting in their coal stoves prior to putting in a stove.

I did not ask my neighbors and the one right next door to me told me that he would have objected if asked. But that after the stove was in and running and I told him about it, he had no further objection and that he was basing his first outlook or opinion on what he thought coal burning was like (dirty, messy, sulfur emitting machines, we know all the negative rhetoric anti-coal people spew, etc.).

Burning anthracite is cleaner than burning oil.

And lets face another fact, if the neighbors of people burning coal right now came up to them and said that they objected to the use of their stoves, how many would turn their stoves off? I doubt any would. I wouldn't. I got bills to pay ...

Yea, I guess I got an attitude ... of loving freedom. And burning coal. And saving money. And ice cream. And pizza.....
Last edited by davidmcbeth3 on Fri. Apr. 10, 2015 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. Apr. 10, 2015 4:39 am

Lightning wrote:Maybe it's just me but, I love the smell of burning anthracite.. lol

Re-check your draft ! :smoke: :D

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Fri. Apr. 10, 2015 6:59 am

My son has a neighbor that has a LL stoker with a direct vent. They 90 up after going through the wall and go straight up 10 feet to the roof edge and another two feet above that. They have never had a hopper fire or melted a cam in 10 years of operation.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”