ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Sat. Mar. 28, 2015 5:33 pm

ashring.jpg
.JPG | 20.6KB | ashring.jpg
Chubby Ash Separator Ring

Originally developed for earlier first generation (No bar, center pin fire pot) stoves. These rings have found new life in the past couple of years with the coal having more chafe/fines than normal lately.

Installation is simple. The ring sits at the bottom of the firepot on top of the grate. No tools required to install. The firepot does need to be fully cleaned out prior to installation.

Works for all regular size Chubby's regardless of firepot....

Brought to our attention by our customers! $69.95 Free Shipping

http://www.chubbystove.com

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Sat. Mar. 28, 2015 11:45 pm

The ring worked great at keeping most of the ash in the pan and preventing fines from jamming the grate. However, after a season of burning the ring warped and will no longer fit flush on the grate.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Mar. 29, 2015 7:51 am

Good God,Tcalo......You certainly have a Black Cloud Hanging Over Your Head when it comes to Operating Your Chubby ! With literally Millions of burn hours through its Pot,the Design has proven itself Timeless,and Operationally Sound..........By any Chance,do You need to get a rather large box stove,like a Hitzer or a DS Machine 1600 to Heat that Home of Yours? I've got a bad feeling that Your asking more of that Poor Lil' Chubby of Yours than it's capable of.....You seem to be one of the few,if not the only one with these constant problems,and I sincerely feel You've taken Your Stove too far.....Food For Thought,My Friend... :gee: :bang:

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Sun. Mar. 29, 2015 10:17 am

Good point HB. If it wasn't for the bad luck I wouldn't have any luck... :lol: . Over firing isn't an issue. Average burn temps have been 500-550 all season, well below the recommended max! I'm curious if others have had similar issues, although I'm starting to get the feeling I'm the exception. Aside from the issues I've experienced, this truly is a great stove!

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Mar. 29, 2015 11:30 am

Well,Let's Look On The Bright Side For A Moment...1.) You Possess A Cellphone Trained Cat,according to Your Avatar. That's One Hell Of An Accomplishment ! Smitty's is Computer Literate,so more is ahead for that Feline ! :funny: ....2.) You're Burning 'Der Coal out on Long Island,so You've done very well ! 2.) Building Forward,You're coming into the right time of Season wrap-up to look at the idea of a Stove that may give You a larger Coal Bed,with a larger Thermal Mass Area to dispense the Heat from. It may help overcome ambiently any Heat Loss Factors such as Wall and Ceiling Insulation,Any Draftiness from Windows,Doors,even Siding that's beat up from the Long Island Living Weather Conditions ! You East Coasters Take One Hell Of A Beating ! The used stove market may spice up as units come off burn,and selling the Chubby would fit that mode,too......Also,I'm figuring You don't have a Pile Of Coal Suppliers to chose from,so You may have to refine Your Coal Operation to eliminate any Rocks,Bone,Slate and Grilles from a 1937 Diamond Rio Mine Truck to keep You rockin' in the worst of times.........Let's see what You may like to do,and I'll help You with my Ant-Like(Yep,rather tiny)Powers of Tactical and Practical Observation ! The Chubby may be good,but it's a tool of heat.....It may be time for a 3/4 inch Ratchet instead of the 1/2 inch drive ! God,maybe You Guys are Right and I really am Nuts ! They Say I'd Be The Last One To Know! :doh: :rofl: :dancing:

Formulabruce
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark 1 Goldenfire
Coal Size/Type: BLASHAK Nut and Stove size
Other Heating: Blower from a gas furnace if I need to move air, no heat

Post by Formulabruce » Tue. Apr. 07, 2015 7:10 pm

If your chubby is at 550 and is NOT a blower type, you should have a box fan to the side of it blowing on it and removing some heat to your living space. 450 is plenty once its up and running, and that is about 1.7-1.8 lbs an Hour! Thats 4 ash pan empties a day!
I use my hot air furnace ( blower/filter/sanitizer) ONLY and that really moves the heat around on the coldest days.
I have used a box fan too, and that works.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”