ANY Hopper Fed Stoves That Burn Buck

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Mon. Apr. 13, 2015 11:31 am

I wouldn't expect much of a difference in consumption between buck and rice.

Not sure what you mean by the ash ring being "better" or "falling apart". Did you make whatever feed and air adjustments were needed to get about a 2" ash ring with both buck and rice? What were the differences?

Mike

Phil May
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 700
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Liesure Line
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Phil May » Mon. Apr. 13, 2015 11:56 am

Yes the buck flakes apart and falls in the ash bucket. It usually takes a hunk of the ring with it when it falls. The rice just trickled the ash over the edge.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Apr. 13, 2015 12:59 pm

Phil, some of the differences you observed are probably due to the coal itself and not the size.

e.g. some coal contains more iron and is more prone to create clinkers. The rice I am burning right now tends to create some small soft clinkers, they fall off the ring in chunks and break apart when they land in the ash tub. A few years ago I had some buck that burned to a powdery white ash, and it trickled off the sides of the stoker like you described. As long as you have adjusted the air to have a proper fire under load and the clinkers aren't pulling burning coal with them, I wouldn't worry about it.

As for consumption differences between buck and rice, I think it is slim to none. Some people have reported significant differences, but in my opinion most of the differences people see are due to the coal itself and not the size.

A few more thoughts: Not all "rice" or "buck" is sized the same. Some breakers mix barely in with the rice, some do not. Buck can be slightly larger than rice, or almost pea.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”