Coal Stove on a House Boat

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sat. Mar. 07, 2015 7:24 pm

I don't know. I've heard all about these "rip-tides, and under-tows. you never know, some night while sleeping, you might end up in the red sea. :D (Drat, top of the page ...again.) :mad:

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Mar. 07, 2015 8:39 pm

JerseyCoal wrote:Thank you for all of your helpful and insightful comments.

It appears to me that my yacht is not a lot like the Titanic; it is EXACTLY like the Titanic! So much for truly watertight compartments. Of course, this craft is intended for sheltered waters and will never see the open sea, let alone an iceberg. However, I have spent enough time on the water to know that anything can happen, and fast.

When I get the solar panel and battery installed, I could hook up an automatic pump or two, and supplement with a manual pump.

As for spending weeks on a life raft, I don't expect to ever be beyond sight of land and will probably be within spitting distance.
No one expects it, but that's exactly where most of the small boat problems, damage, and sinking's occur. :roll:

Calm, inland waters can get very rough and choppy with waves pushed up by wind in shallower water. That type of wave action makes the hull slap and pound. It stresses the hull more so than long ocean swells in deeper waters. It gets especially bad with flat-bottomed boats that can't "cut through" waves, but have to pound into them.

Even a moderate wake from a big cabin cruiser, or fishing boat, can push a wake wave big enough to bury your bow when they are going at inland water way speed limits. Make sure you provide for having everything on board secured well !!!

Paul

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Mar. 07, 2015 10:08 pm

Sheltered inland waters after a storm.

Attachments

Image256.jpg
.JPG | 180.8KB | Image256.jpg
Image246.jpg
.JPG | 180.4KB | Image246.jpg
Image257.jpg
.JPG | 186.8KB | Image257.jpg

Smoker858
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Baseburners & Antiques: Reading Stove Works Penn circa 1900
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: nat gas

Post by Smoker858 » Sun. Mar. 08, 2015 1:43 pm

Did I miss the name of this fine hotel of the seas?

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Sun. Mar. 08, 2015 2:44 pm

Smoker858 wrote:Did I miss the name of this fine hotel of the seas?
"Smokeless on the Water"? or "Coal Onboard" perhaps? "Coaled Again"?

JerseyCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Franco Belge model 10.1475

Post by JerseyCoal » Fri. Mar. 13, 2015 1:18 pm

How dare you fellows destroy my dreams with "facts"!

Actually, all of your comments regarding safety seem to be well reasoned. Perhaps I should just set the thing up on blocks and live in it as if it were an RV.

The best laid schemes of mice and men....

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Mar. 13, 2015 3:33 pm

No, you just have to take extra precaution when you know a storm is coming. Maybe spend that night on shore.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Mar. 13, 2015 4:27 pm

Indeed JC. A good radio got me & my kinda brother from Maine to Fla. as far as weather & what not was concerned. Safe sailing is the factor, not the dream dasher. Holy crap, that rhymed! KINDA ! ;) Permission to come aboard skipper :)

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Mar. 13, 2015 5:13 pm

There's no reason you can't live on the water.

But you should learn as much as you can about it before you do. And you may have to scale back your ability to travel wherever and whenever in that type craft with a small motor.

Things of life on the water that seem so great to "landlubbers" are often nothing like the reality of living on the water. Been there many times, both inland waterways, and deep ocean. Had some real exciting times in bad weather. Such as surfing down 15 -20 foot waves 15 miles off Boston in a storm in a two masted, 7 ton "surf board" and finding out that when your running before a strong sea and being pushed by the waves , golly gee, the rudder doesn't work !!! :shock:

Next day's excitement was being stuck right under the middle of several hours worth of thunder cells with a 55 foot tall "lightning rod" and seeing bolts of lighting striking the ground on either side of us as we passed through the Cape Cod Canal.

One storm, a seconds loss of attention and the ship would broach. The other storm the waters were blown flat by the strong winds in a narrow body of water, but we could do nothing about the lightening except pray and trail a steel cable off the back stay and hope it would ground out any strikes without killing us because we had to stay on deck during all of it.

Both storms caught us out in the open before we could get to shelter. Not being able to deal with the surprises that come up on the water is what sinks most ships and kills most people. Being prepared, doing your home work, don't skimp on safety and the HP to get you to safety, and planning ahead, will all make it possible for you to realize your dream.

Study, learn, plan, equip, then launch. ;)

Paul

JerseyCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Franco Belge model 10.1475

Post by JerseyCoal » Tue. Apr. 14, 2015 8:07 am

Two solar panels on the roof.
200 watts; 23 volts.
Installation required drilling 16 holes in my beautiful rubber roof. The first few were emotionally challenging.
Lots of rubbery goop should keep the water out.
Now I will have bright lights when I brush the long, flowing locks cascading down to my shoulders! (Think Fabio)

With the chimneys so close, I will have to clean the panels frequently during the heating season.

Attachments

April 13, 2015.jpg
.JPG | 139KB | April 13, 2015.jpg

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Apr. 14, 2015 12:07 pm

Well done JC :)

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Tue. Apr. 14, 2015 12:29 pm

Holes in a new roof! How dare you.

I am not familiar with solar panels but I assume the have a protective coating and hopefully it is not reactive with the coal emissions. I have seen what coal exhaust can do to a tin roof over time. :shock:

I also picked out a song for you to listen to while spending long summer days floating and drinking on the bay.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Tue. Apr. 14, 2015 7:15 pm

Cool song. He can listen to it, while sailing to Margaritaville. :)
Nice job with the panels. I'm sure you'll get lots of use out of them. 'Cept the utility companies won't be too happy about them. They'ld rather you ran an extension cord, and would probably supply one for free. ;)

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Tue. Apr. 14, 2015 11:42 pm

There are upsides and downsides to both land and on the water. On the water every so many years it has to come out and have hull maintenance done. On land this does not exist. Around here for a very modest donation they will pump waste water tanks. On land it is more costly or you are dealing with either an outhouse or a composting toilet and from what I have heard they are pretty grim. I think what you really need to sit down and figure out how you are going to solve all the simple needs on land and water and work from there.

nealkas
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Looking at these.
Other Heating: Oil at present.

Post by nealkas » Wed. Apr. 15, 2015 8:08 am

gaw wrote:
I also picked out a song for you to listen to while spending long summer days floating and drinking on the bay.
Here's another!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”