Reading Foundry and Supply Co. Stove Restored

fifthg
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: warm morning # 500
Baseburners & Antiques: Peninsular Western Hot Blast No.44K and Reading Foundry & Supply Co.

Post by fifthg » Sat. Nov. 02, 2013 5:49 pm

we shall see.It is all hooked up,including water tank/radiator/thermal mass/heat storage unit in one,hah!when it works great,I will post photos,if not,I will deny everything and go back to the drawing board.My objective will be to see how low and slow I can fly it,due to the small space she's in,a 2 room 10 x 24 scale house.Now for some colder weather and to find some good coal...

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Nov. 02, 2013 5:54 pm

Are the grates tight enough for pea size? That would be my choice for a long slow burn.

Yes on the upward pitch of the baseboard...air vent at the highest point.

fifthg
Verified Business Rep.
Baseburners & Antiques: Peninsular Western Hot Blast No.44K and Reading Foundry & Supply Co.

Post by fifthg » Sat. Nov. 02, 2013 6:15 pm

agreed on the pea size.and yup,I have proper pitch on my install.It was fun researching and then going to work.I am about to learn and enjoy hand fired stove artistry after taking for granted the benefits of 520 efm usage at home and in plant.

ntp71
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Reading Foundry Water Heater
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Old Mill Mini Stoker with Keystoker Feed System
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar SCR
Baseburners & Antiques: Caloric UltraMatic Coal-Gas Range
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut

Post by ntp71 » Wed. Aug. 06, 2014 5:21 pm

fifthg wrote:we shall see.It is all hooked up,including water tank/radiator/thermal mass/heat storage unit in one,hah!when it works great,I will post photos,if not,I will deny everything and go back to the drawing board.My objective will be to see how low and slow I can fly it,due to the small space she's in,a 2 room 10 x 24 scale house.Now for some colder weather and to find some good coal...
Did it work great, or was it back to the drawing board?

Neal

fifthg
Verified Business Rep.

Post by fifthg » Thu. Aug. 07, 2014 6:03 am

the design was very good and worked well,right up to the point where the water jacket cracked.I run without.

ntp71
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Reading Foundry Water Heater
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Old Mill Mini Stoker with Keystoker Feed System
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar SCR
Baseburners & Antiques: Caloric UltraMatic Coal-Gas Range
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut

Post by ntp71 » Mon. Aug. 11, 2014 1:11 pm

fifthg wrote:the design was very good and worked well,right up to the point where the water jacket cracked.I run without.
Oh..I'm sorry to hear that. I have the same stove without the flat top and was planning on doing something simalar. Any suggestions to keep mine from cracking?

Neal

fifthg
Verified Business Rep.

Post by fifthg » Mon. Aug. 11, 2014 4:41 pm

The cracking was because of weak spots/sand holes in casting,and some tired metal.If you have what is still a good casting,just fill it up and try it.It is lo-tech.

ChrisS
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Blaschak, Lehigh Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump (set to "OFF" now), Propane FP insert

Post by ChrisS » Wed. Apr. 15, 2015 8:18 am

I found one of these locally, and wondered if I could use this to heat an above ground pool a bit. Could I pump water through the water jacket using the pool pump? Could I set this stove up outside with a short pipe/chimney, that is, would I get enough draft from that? Sorry, I have a stoker, and this hand-fired specialty stuff is a bit beyond my present experience.

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Wed. Apr. 15, 2015 9:52 am

If used for hot water heat don't forget some sort of feed water system and an expansion tank so it does not blow up or run dry.

ChrisS
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Blaschak, Lehigh Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump (set to "OFF" now), Propane FP insert

Post by ChrisS » Wed. Apr. 15, 2015 10:06 am

As I was also asking, and I realize this may be one of those stupid questions (yes, there ARE stupid questions, I do believe), can you set one of these outside, put a stove pipe up a few feet, and make it work?

Setup I had in mind is sort of like this. Pool to pump, pump to filter, filter to heat jacket/coal stove, stove to pool with warm water. Repeat. Pump might pump too fast to catch any heat, though. And if the heat is continuous, then the water flow must be, too, from what I hear here.

And to be honest, it was $50, looks clean, so I am trying to figure out what I can possibly do with it.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Apr. 15, 2015 10:11 am

ChrisS wrote:I found one of these locally, and wondered if I could use this to heat an above ground pool a bit. Could I pump water through the water jacket using the pool pump? Could I set this stove up outside with a short pipe/chimney, that is, would I get enough draft from that? Sorry, I have a stoker, and this hand-fired specialty stuff is a bit beyond my present experience.
With a short stack outdoors, I don't think you'd get a strong enough draft with coal unless you had the stove running very hot. In which case, with the small-ish firebox size many of these water heaters have, you'd be tending it quite often.

There are many old pictures of kitchen ranges moved outdoors to yards and summer kitchens with just a short stack of about 4-5 feet. But, most likely they were burning wood, as stove wood can be seen in some pictures. However, I can't remember seeing a coal bucket in any pictures that I have seen of stoves set up outdoors.

Wood might be a better option for running it with a short stack,... but, many of those water heater stoves can't get large pieces of wood in like the oak stoves. And, a firebox full of wood will only burn about half as long as coal in those type stoves, so the amount of tending time needed won't be any less than coal.

Paul

fifthg
Verified Business Rep.

Post by fifthg » Wed. Apr. 15, 2015 6:58 pm

ChrisS wrote:I found one of these locally, and wondered if I could use this to heat an above ground pool a bit. Could I pump water through the water jacket using the pool pump? Could I set this stove up outside with a short pipe/chimney, that is, would I get enough draft from that? Sorry, I have a stoker, and this hand-fired specialty stuff is a bit beyond my present experience.
. I see no reason why this wouldn't work with a short stack,Just put a tee with a valve in a pool pump return line and run 3/4" pipe to the heater and back to pool.No need for pressure relief because your pool is an open system.The valve will regulate flow rate thru the heater.You might need to run a few feet of copper right at the heater for heat resistance,then go to flexible pvc or something else.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”