Oil Boiler Problem (Not Mine)

northernmainecoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Nut/Stove

Post by northernmainecoal » Mon. Apr. 20, 2015 6:47 am

Morning all
I had a friend ask me for help last week and I was out of town so was unable to help. They had a local plumber come look at it who was not able to find any problems. They sent me a message again this morning that they were still having a problem. Before I go look at it I figured I would ask for some tips here first.

The boiler will run fine for a time and then trip. Simply hitting the reset on the burner will fix the problem, but it will then trip again some time later. This has been happening on and off over the last week, they keep reseting it and it trips again. any thoughts? suggestions? things to look for?

Thanks
Rob

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Mon. Apr. 20, 2015 6:53 am

1. pull the fire eye and clean it and make sure it's sensing the main flame all the time. It's not that common but they do go bad. They are not that expensive to replace.

2. Ensure that the filters for the oil supply are clean. Don't forget that some fuel oil burners have a mesh filter right where the oil supply tube goes into the pump. On some models you have to take the 4 small hex head bolts off the pump to get the cover off to expose it.

3. Make sure that the burner nozzle filter is clean.

4. Make sure the the oil pump is putting out the required pressure.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Apr. 20, 2015 9:39 am

They use a very cheap coupler between the motor and pump, basically a cardboard tube with a rubber washer at each end. When it starts slipping, it performs as you describe and will soon fail completely. A pressure gauge in the plugged port on the pump will show you what is going on. Fluttering or dropping pressure is the sign as the pressure should remain very constant in the neighborhood of 100#.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”