EPA Announcement - EPA Banning Outdoor Wood Furnaces

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Apr. 18, 2015 12:08 pm

The moral of this story is get your stove(s) now, as the window is closing.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Apr. 18, 2015 12:26 pm

It's all part of Agenda 21. It's not some conspiracy theory, they are implementing it right in front of your face. Smart meters are able to link to your new ("smart") appliances, and your thermostat. No big deal you say? Well, say there is a long spell of hot weather and demand for power is really high. Guess what they will remotely limit your power and control the temperature settings on your AC and refrigerator, etc.
These things are already being implemented in California.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Apr. 18, 2015 12:28 pm

I might have to light my Fisher wood burner today, even though it's around 70 outside.

Just because I can!

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Sat. Apr. 18, 2015 1:27 pm

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Sat. Apr. 18, 2015 2:39 pm

McGiever wrote:
oilman wrote:They are not banning anything...........they all have to be Emission certified, that's all. This has been law in New York for 3 years.
You obiviously missed what was told in the video.
Mfg'rs are NOT building any more of those units you are referring to...period.

Newly built units after cutoff date will be redesigned and sold as commercial units only and be much more costly due to build design changes to meet the new emmission compliance.
I think oilman is referring to the point that the manufacturers cannot produce/distribute NON EPA APPROVED stoves after May1. You can still buy new residential wood burning stoves after those dates but they must meet EPA emissions standards.

Disclaimer: I haven't looked into this so I don't know if the guy in the video is correct with everything he said.

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Sat. Apr. 18, 2015 4:02 pm

people betterstart standing up and really start saying and doing something this is really spinning out of control and people r sick of it we do have rites !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sat. Apr. 18, 2015 4:13 pm

rockwood , the guy in the video is correct,OWB's will not be allowed for sale for residential use unless it is a gassifier unit.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Apr. 19, 2015 6:43 am

About 3 years ago NYS instated some regulations about outdoor wood boilers. Basically all new outdoor wood boilers had to meet a different emission standard. The older units which are basically a round firebox surrounded by water can not meet this standard. If you would like to read more about the regulations in NYS and how they came about http://www4.uwm.edu/shwec/publications/cabinet/p2 ... tRev08.pdf

I am NOT in support of increased govt. regulation, but in this case I think people's own ignorance is what brought these rules into play. Perhaps if thousands of people did not install these dam things in residential areas and smoke out their neighborhoods, we would not be talking about this. It opened the door for the EPA to do something about it, and naturally they are taking it farther than just addressing the "smoke dragon" wood boilers.

Anthracite has much lower emissions than the levels they are proposing, and it is a tiny market...hopefully they leave it alone.

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Apr. 19, 2015 7:26 am

We often are our own worst enemy. Even with normal usage &dry wood ,an OWB can smoke pretty much,but when using garbage,pampers,roofing shingles,tires & other junk the smoke level can go bonkers. Because of the lack of common sense,the thoughtless ones messed it up for everyone.I don't see coal burning becoming an issue,unless there are enough folks who decide to burn bit coal in residential areas smoking out their neighbors & causing the wrath to send EPA after "coal burners". Government usually doesn't go after the specific target but generally uses the scatter gun approach to hit a generalized target. We all need to be considerate of those living close to us & do our best to minimize any friction causing issues.Don't vent a coal burner into the narrow space between 2 close houses, 1 example of many things that can become an issue. Folks who smoke tend to be clueless as to how much that smoke can affect others,folks who listen to loud ,LOUD bass,ground pounding bass music have no concept of how that boom,boom can affect a person with inner ear issues. If we all simple take the time to try & minimize the effect our actions will have on others,things won't become NATIONAL issues needing regulated.

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Sun. Apr. 19, 2015 8:13 am

windyhill4.2 wrote:but when using garbage,pampers,roofing shingles,tires & other junk the smoke level can go bonkers.
Experience? :D :D :D

Mine would smoke like a train just from putting really dry wood in it. I mean dimensional lumber that was kiln dried. It couldn't get enough air for proper combustion so it would chug chug chug. I stopped traffic with it one day it was so thick blowing across the road. I thought it was going to blow up. :shock: :shock: And I live in the boonies I couldn't imagine that in a residential situation.

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Apr. 19, 2015 8:51 am

:oops: :oops: :oops: Shortly after setting up our OWB,we threw an old wooden table top in it, lucky for us the wind blew that awful, horrific smoke out across the fields instead of towards any other houses in the neighborhood ,we were much more cautious about what we put in after that heart stopping smoke show. :eek2: :fear:

oilman

Post by oilman » Mon. Apr. 20, 2015 8:08 pm

Rob R. wrote:About 3 years ago NYS instated some regulations about outdoor wood boilers. Basically all new outdoor wood boilers had to meet a different emission standard. The older units which are basically a round firebox surrounded by water can not meet this standard. If you would like to read more about the regulations in NYS and how they came about http://www4.uwm.edu/shwec/publications/cabinet/p2 ... tRev08.pdf

I am NOT in support of increased govt. regulation, but in this case I think people's own ignorance is what brought these rules into play. Perhaps if thousands of people did not install these dam things in residential areas and smoke out their neighborhoods, we would not be talking about this. It opened the door for the EPA to do something about it, and naturally they are taking it farther than just addressing the "smoke dragon" wood boilers.

Anthracite has much lower emissions than the levels they are proposing, and it is a tiny market...hopefully they leave it alone.

Rob is right on here. If you have experienced these things running 365 days a year and totally fogging out entire neighborhoods, you can understand the kick back against them. I've driven thru small hamlets late at night in the summer where someone was running one for HW and the smoke was so bad you couldn't see. How would you like to live there?

As far as the ban goes, the NON EPA OWB's will be commercial only, and certified units will be OK for residential.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Apr. 20, 2015 8:13 pm

Two years ago Chester NY banned them so it really does not matter what the EPA does you can't get a permit for one.

unhippy
Stoker Coal Boiler: MK2 #1

Post by unhippy » Thu. Apr. 23, 2015 6:51 am

We have had emission's rules down this way for almost 20 years.....all it did was make new certified burners double in price compared to the old ones and stop totally the sales of coal stoves....didn't do stuff-all to improve air quality because the main reason that fires here smoke so bad is people burning wood thats only partly dried.....and we only have bit coal and that smokes pretty bad in anything but a stoker.....and I have the only 'in operation' stoker stove that I have heard of in the country

Now we have areas that you cannot install a new solid fuel stove at all....and in one city they banned the use of any solid fuel for residential heating.....and they go around with a thermal imag checking to make sure the chimneys are cold.....

it all comes down to tax....the central thieves committee gets a bigger cut out of gas, diesel and electric.....lol most of the time they don't get anything from firewood especially when someone cuts their own.....coal is similar...only 15% tax plus a couple of bucks a ton "Carbon Tax"

follow what gets the govt the most tax revenue....its gives you the marvellous ability to predict the future

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Apr. 23, 2015 7:02 am

They've been banned by many villages around here long before NYS started clamping down. And certified, or not, they won't allow any type of OWB within the village limits.

Paul

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”