This Is Strange, Anyone Know

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Sun. Apr. 26, 2015 8:19 pm

Just want to bounce this off you guys, so when I would normally open yahoo maps, it will usually open to my home town, but the last two days it opens to Maryland near DC, same if I open Mapquest.

So I opened network utility on my Mac just to look, for what I did not know but noticed incoming and outgoing packets, yet no programs are open, is this normal? and with the maps why would it think I am in Maryland, I feel like I am being watched. lol

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Sun. Apr. 26, 2015 8:30 pm

Can you say 'NSA'?
I have Comcast, and it's in a different town, and all 'trash' thinks I'm in that town.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sun. Apr. 26, 2015 8:45 pm

There are usually several programs running in the background at all times. Most antivirus programs run continuously and will send and recieve packets. Your computer could be checking for updates in the background also, or one of the other programs that are set for automatic updates. Adobe Acrobat Reader is one that works in the background.

But as far as your maps showing you in DC........dats the brown shirts my friend.

You are being watched :eek2: :beer:

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Mon. Apr. 27, 2015 2:03 am

Maybe, Maybe not, but then again aren't we all being watched..

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Apr. 27, 2015 8:39 am

The most common way for a website determining your location is through the known location of the IP, this is usually close enough for general area but can be wildly inaccurate for a variety of reasons. Looking up your IP Grumpy it tells me Glenn Burnie, MD. They probably reallocated a block of IP's from that area to your area and the lists have not been updated.

Google IP geolocation and put in your IP for the various tests.

Return to “Technology”