Building a New Era Base Burner

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sat. May. 16, 2015 4:11 pm

That's great. Glad to hear you found one.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. May. 16, 2015 4:32 pm

Good luck Steve. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya. ;)

Paul

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Sat. May. 16, 2015 5:16 pm

DITTTO to what Paul said!

Randy

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sun. May. 17, 2015 2:50 pm

double post, sorry.
Last edited by KingCoal on Sun. May. 17, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Sun. May. 17, 2015 2:52 pm

well.............. the ad contact info ran, email, voice then text. so I went with email and voice mail and got no response. then went text and got a reply in less than a minute. go figure.

well things were going along ok till I asked for a phone conversation and the seller explained he was at work and could not answer the phone. that was fine I totally get that.

so I advised I could be there today if I knew by noon and again requested internal pics to verify condition.

that's where the trail went dead. it been almost 24 hrs. with out any reply to my last 3 messages so, unless the seller recontacts me with intentions and time table, this one looks like it's falling apart.

too bad, I really want to bring back both these larger round barrel Locke / Warm Morning stoves and was ready to make a sizable commitment of time and travel to help it happen.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=266&dat=19 ... 4510&hl=en

steve

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Tue. May. 19, 2015 6:18 pm

new contact from the 524 seller. seems there was some phone hardware and service issues interference.

trying to work on a commitment for this Sunday. no tellin' what will come of it but, at least the stove is still there and they contacted me. :D

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Tue. May. 19, 2015 9:15 pm

That's a good sign that they contacted you. I'm hoping you get the stove.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Sat. May. 23, 2015 3:55 pm

goin' on a road trip tomorrow.

hope I remember to take take pics before I start taking it apart this time. LOL

probably no report till atleast Monday though, it's going to be a LONG day.

steve

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Sat. May. 23, 2015 4:53 pm

Take your time and have a safe trip.! I know all about those long days. I'm heading on a 1, 800 hundred mile road trip down to Tennessee and back starting Monday night :lol:

Paulie

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Sat. May. 23, 2015 5:39 pm

good luck and safe travels Paulie. i'm not going near that far, just 726 miles round trip in 14 hrs.

leaving at 6 am will be back by 8pm.

just have to keep tellin' myself "i'm on my way to buy the only complete stove of this type currently advertised for sale in the whole nation"

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. May. 23, 2015 7:56 pm

Good hunting and safe trip to you both. Hope you come home with a heavier vehicle,... and not a heavier heart ! ;)

Paul

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Mon. May. 25, 2015 9:56 am

SCORE !!

but...........not without a few issues. it was 60 more miles than I thought each way, which wasn't that bad exceopt it was misty to pouring rain 75% of the round trip.

road construction has not stopped for a single day around Chicago since I was a child, that's always a circus.

half way up, the key switch in my ignition decided to fracture and jamb between off and acc. real nice, won't turn won,t come out. no tools along for that, had to hank the lower steering cover off so I could pull the cylinder, then buy a pair of needle nose to start it with. cost me half an hr.

showed up to find the stove in the condition stated except the round grate and center draw are no where to be found !!
about to walk away when I noticed the ash plan wasn't sitting flat down in the bottom of the stove. but, the inner hasp on the ash door is rusted to the door frame, just bad enough not to turn or open till I get every thing out of the stove from above.

so unload all the the bricks , take out the grate support ring, pull the ash pan and there's the grate and center just fine, checked them in the support ring to be sure.

so, load it all in my Saturn SC1 which never fails to blow peoples minds. and off I go. took a diff. way home to avoid taking the Chicago cross town freeways with the extra bulk and weight in the car. slightly limited vision to the right :lol:

all in all not bad except for the extra total 3 hrs. of travel and messing around time I hadn't counted on.

anyway, i'll get pics up in a bit as I move it into the garage.

OH, forgot to mention this is in fact a Locke Warm Morning Model 524 B, 3 flue. the owner said his elderly Dad had bought it 25 yrs. ago when the local hardware, dry goods, clothing and farm store closed up and it's just been sitting since. only 3 bricks damaged enough to need replaced. can't wait to show you it sitting next to the 120's.

later,
steve

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Mon. May. 25, 2015 3:14 pm

ok here are the pics. i'll caption each then ad some comments .

the barrel of the 120's is 19" in diameter, the 524 barrel is 23".

the widest point of the 120 grates and fire pot is 16", the 524 is 19". meaning if not for the intrusion of the flue bricks you could put the whole 120 stove barrel inside the the 524.

the fire pot of the 120 is 16 wide and 19 deep, the 524 is 19 wide and 22 deep. neither of these takes into account the dish in the grates or the unlined portion of the upper barrel interiors.

the 120 is 42" tall over all, the 524 is 46".

next, on to the design software for base chamber modeling. :D

Attachments

IMG_1624.gif
.GIF | 231.8KB | IMG_1624.gif
IMG_1625.gif

pics of barrel in the Sc1

.GIF | 273.7KB | IMG_1625.gif
IMG_1626.gif

pic showing scale

.GIF | 340.9KB | IMG_1626.gif
IMG_1627.gif

lid I.D.

.GIF | 358.4KB | IMG_1627.gif
IMG_1629.gif

makers marks

.GIF | 387.1KB | IMG_1629.gif
IMG_1630.gif

grates in bare barrel

.GIF | 381.4KB | IMG_1630.gif
IMG_1633.gif

bricks back in, not in proper order but you get the idea

.GIF | 373.1KB | IMG_1633.gif

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. May. 25, 2015 3:36 pm

Steve,
Glad you made in back safely and the trip accomplished it's mission.

What a beast ! It's an inch less in diameter, but 11 inches taller than a standard 55 gallon oil drum !!!! :shock:

And that's going to be turned into a "base heater"? I think what you'll have is the first coal stove that it's location can be seen from outer space as a round, dark area clear of all snow ! :D

Paul

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Mon. May. 25, 2015 5:06 pm

it might be a round dark area clear of any buildings !! :shock:

the idea is to form a base chamber inside the confines of the original barrel's, diameter and height. that will mean I loose some depth of the fire pot but, it's not like I don't have plenty :lol:

if I pull this off i'll still have at least 100 #'s of capacity plus a magazine and some fire view mica to boot.

we'll see, I have 3D design ware that's a blast to work in.

this thread has gone WAY into left field from what I thought I was going to be doing when I started it but I didn't know about such great basic material at the time.

steve

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”