First Time Coal Burner Here

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Sat. Jun. 20, 2015 8:29 pm

SWPaDon wrote:
Upload your photos driectly onto NEPACrossroads, that will fix it. And they will be here forever. Photobucket will change the location soon and the photos that you have posted will be lost to viewers on this forum forever.
Thanks for catching that Don ! I didn't realize that's how he got them that size. This old man learned something new today. :D

Paulie

Starting Out
Other Heating: Burnham Oil Boiler with Beckett Gun

Post by Starting Out » Sat. Jun. 20, 2015 8:49 pm

That thing is a direct vent not a power vent. Power vent has the powerhead mounted on the outside of the building. Powervent pulls the gasses out the stove, direct vent I think uses negating pressure and pushes it out. I think I have it correct.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sat. Jun. 20, 2015 9:11 pm

Pauliewog wrote:
SWPaDon wrote:
Upload your photos driectly onto NEPACrossroads, that will fix it. And they will be here forever. Photobucket will change the location soon and the photos that you have posted will be lost to viewers on this forum forever.
Thanks for catching that Don ! I didn't realize that's how he got them that size. This old man learned something new today. :D

Paulie
I right clicked on his photo, then clicked 'properties', it has it there. The bad part is in a few weeks, photobucket will change the address of the photo and it will just show an 'X' on this thread. which means no more photos.

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Sat. Jun. 20, 2015 11:51 pm

Starting Out wrote:That thing is a direct vent not a power vent. Power vent has the powerhead mounted on the outside of the building. Powervent pulls the gasses out the stove, direct vent I think uses negating pressure and pushes it out. I think I have it correct.
You are correct, that is a direct vent unit. In my opinion there isn't much of a difference in the two, so hopefully one of our members with more expertise regarding them will chime in.

They are both motorized fans that pull or push the Flue gas outside, and create a negative firebox pressure, using two different style fan blades.

The power vent is mounted outside, requires a barometric damper, and is subjected to the weather.

The direct vent is mounted inside, out of the weather,and seems to be engineered for the stove, since some manufacturers state that a barometric damper is not required.

I really don't know if it's better to push the exhaust out or pull it out, or is this another Ford Chevy Dodge thing. :discuss:

Paulie

Burning2nd
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker 90

Post by Burning2nd » Sun. Jun. 21, 2015 4:24 am

Naw.. Ive had that photobucket account since b4 the internet :) Im a big car guy and reef tank keeper... so its not going anywhere

chances are this site will go b4 my bucket

but thanks for the help.. Like I said, ive got a glass door coming, Ive gotta actually get coal in my bin that I made, (which im still putting together) and then I need it to get cold

Ive gotta get my pellets home and down there.... well see what this winter can throw at us eh?

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sun. Jun. 21, 2015 6:01 am

Burning2nd wrote:Naw.. Ive had that photobucket account since b4 the internet :) Im a big car guy and reef tank keeper... so its not going anywhere

chances are this site will go b4 my bucket

but thanks for the help.. Like I said, ive got a glass door coming, Ive gotta actually get coal in my bin that I made, (which im still putting together) and then I need it to get cold

Ive gotta get my pellets home and down there.... well see what this winter can throw at us eh?
I apparently didn't explain it correctly, and for that I apologize.

Richard, the owner of NEPACrossroads explained it a while back. I can't find the post though.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”