Pressure Washer Gurus Step Inside

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Jun. 19, 2015 4:40 pm

I have a 3000# PSI Honda powered PW. Was using it today for about 2.5 hours. I let go of the trigger and the motor stopped laboring. Pulled the trigger and I have what the hose will flow, no real pressure. No noises, plenty of oil and water. Any thoughts? I don't think the key on the crank is sheared as I can see the parts turning when I spin the motor over but that is what it seems like to me. Should I check it under water pressure? It is an Annovi Reverberi RSV 3G30A*. It hasn't seen a lot of use and they want $400 for a new one.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Jun. 19, 2015 4:56 pm

Check the easy stuff first...inlet screens, etc. There are some check valves involved in the pump, I believe...they may stick open???
Never done it myself, but they make "fogger" sprays in a aerosol can to lube things on the waterside of the pump.
And the over pressure bleed off could stick open and do just what you describe.

Those Italian pumps are the best out there on a home or light commercial unit...I would save it if at all possible. :idea:

crazy4coal

Post by crazy4coal » Fri. Jun. 19, 2015 5:05 pm

There's a good chance that the bypass or relief valve are stuck open.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Jun. 19, 2015 5:27 pm

The relief valve, that is the one that blows water out of a vent when the trigger is closed? No water coming out of the vent where it normally does when running.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Jun. 19, 2015 6:10 pm

Hmmmm, bypass valve. It acts like the engine is off, sounds bypassish.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. Jun. 19, 2015 6:33 pm

crazy4coal wrote:There's a good chance that the bypass or relief valve are stuck open.
I agree ... some lithium grease will be needed.

A trick I learned, to get by, possibly is to remove the power washer nozzle and depress the handle and let regular garden hose flow go through. Release handle stopping water flow. Then put nozzle you want back on and try. It may, repeat may, then work.

The manufacturers' recommend that power washers be stored inside during winter. Hardly anyone does but that's what they say anyways.

I've had a power washer for 10 yrs ... every year I fiddle with it, greasing the value. Hard time getting it out? Just start the machine with the retaining cap off and it should shoot out ... just do so in an area where you will not loose any parts (put a rag over it to minimize risk of losing a part).. 15' radius of a driveway where you can see any springs or whatnot that pops out.

Should be plenty of youtube vids showing how ...

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Jun. 19, 2015 7:34 pm

Got it. Biggest valve on the top. They call it the pressure adjusting valve. Pulled it out and it has a spring loaded tapered seat valve built into the bottom. It was stuck very nicely with some hard, black "deposit." I love it when it's easy. :)
Thanks guys.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. Jun. 20, 2015 8:46 pm

Hooray ! Another success ! What did you use? Duct tape?

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sat. Jun. 20, 2015 9:01 pm

coaledsweat wrote:Got it. Biggest valve on the top. They call it the pressure adjusting valve. Pulled it out and it has a spring loaded tapered seat valve built into the bottom. It was stuck very nicely with some hard, black "deposit." I love it when it's easy. :)
Thanks guys.
Will it burn, and will it fit in the Axeman?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Jun. 20, 2015 10:11 pm

Scratched it off with a pick. It looks like the valve seperates the high from the low side. Bleeds the pressure back through when the trigger is off.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Sat. Jun. 20, 2015 10:25 pm

I had a Karcher PW from 1987, it lasted 20 plus years, $350.00 at the time. I replaced it with an AR Blue Clean 630 rated for hot water, yes made in Italy. The distributor I spoke with mentioned that most PW's fail due to lack of use and water deposits. RV anitfreeze acts as a storing lubricant. Just put a tube in a jug and draw it in and then store the unit. My PW gets more use in the winter than the summer, trying to keep salt off the vehicles. My new unit is electric like the last one and online price was well above $600.00. Some times you get what you pay for. I am tight with a buck but do spend from time to time. My neighbors have bought numerous $100.00 to $200.00 units and they typically last 1 or 2 years at best.

rubicondave33
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite

Post by rubicondave33 » Sun. Jun. 21, 2015 6:52 am

2001Sierra wrote:My PW gets more use in the winter than the summer, trying to keep salt off the vehicles.
How true. I've spent plenty of time outside in the winter with my PW gun aimed at the underside of the vehicles getting those nasty chemicals off. This is one of the many reasons we are looking south...

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Jun. 21, 2015 7:59 am

I fill it with mineral oil in the winter. That's what the manual recommends. Keeps the seals soft I would think. The initial review of the exploded diagram brought some fear as it appears to have about 11 million parts in it. Come to find out 90% of PW are not the pump itself.

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”