Plumbing a WL110 Boiler Question

mmroadster
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL-110

Post by mmroadster » Mon. Jun. 08, 2015 4:18 pm

My baseboard heat was originally plumbed with separate pumps for each zone (3-heat, 1-hot water) and for ease of installation I'd like to keep this configuration. Is this acceptable or does there need to be a constantly running water loop? I plan on adding an additional zone as a dump zone using the supplied Taco pump to run it.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Jun. 08, 2015 8:01 pm

Keep the present configuration. Also, no need to add another zone as your dump zone. Just wire the dump to an existing zone (placing it on both a T-Stat for the house and an aquastat for the dump). That has worked for me without a hitch for 4 seasons now.

jeff216410

Post by jeff216410 » Wed. Jun. 10, 2015 12:03 pm

Agree. I have 5 zones and I use my basement as a dump zone. No need to change your current configuration, and your hot water zone will provide some load to keep hopefully keep away from the dump zone.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Wed. Jun. 10, 2015 3:20 pm

Once set up correctly the dump zone should never be used. Its a good idea to have it but not used very often. The plumbing should stay the same otherwise like mentioned.

mmroadster
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL-110

Post by mmroadster » Mon. Jun. 22, 2015 12:10 am

Thanks for the replies, sorry for the delay getting back I forgot to check the notify me of replies box and didn't realize there were replies. I was lying in bed tonight not able to sleep and was wondering why I couldn't just set up a existing zone as a dump zone and well you guys answered that too. I'm guessing the longest zone would be best but would wiring the indirect water heater to also be the dump zone be sufficient? It's a 30 gallon unit and we don't have any kids to worry about scalding if the dump zone was active and the hot water temp was higher than usual. Also I see the WL110 will burn rice or buckwheat is there a preferred size? I used all but half a 5 gallon bucket of the rice I had from last winter (cut it close) so that's not an issue. What's the pro's and con's of each?

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”