Harman TLC 2000 Stove Temp

Mudmixer
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II

Post by Mudmixer » Thu. Mar. 26, 2015 7:52 am

I recently purchased a Harman TLC 2000 coal stove. My question is burning coal (mainly), or wood (rarely), what is a safe stove temp, top, sides etc. I guess flue pipe temp will be higher burning wood versus coal, to avoid buildup of creosote? Just curious what temp ranges is safe for stove, burning either. Also can I check stove temp with magnetic thermometer? Same 1 as on flue pipe? And is the clean out plate removal for cleaning of flue pipe and burning stove as a fireplace (which I have no intention of doing). Sorry for probably dumb questions this is my first coal stove always had wood stove before. Vented into Meta-Fab 2100 6" temp guard stainless chimney. Thanks in advance for all help and suggestions.

Thanks Again:
Terry

tony17112acst

Post by tony17112acst » Fri. Jul. 17, 2015 1:24 pm

I have one of these and I only burn it at 350-400 degrees (shown on my magnetic therm. on the front face). I don't know what a safe temp is sorry to say.

I have the blower installed on the bottom and when aim my strong barrel fan at the bottom of the exhaust pipe, I can put my hand on the top of the pipe and hold it there indefinitely. So most of the heat is going into the room vs. up the chimney. that allows me to burn at 400. I think others here burn their TLC2000's hotter. You've GOT the get the fan to extract more heat from the unit or it's wasted up the chimney.

Do a search on TLC2000 on here and I'll bet you'll find some temps.

P.S. On my thermometer, the correct temps to burn without producing creosote are highlighted, so you can search google or look at a therm that you'll buy.

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Fri. Jul. 17, 2015 5:11 pm

Just a thought for prosperity, I had 2 magnetic thermometers on my stove and they never agreed. The newer one read 200 to 400 degrees lower. A non contact IR thermometer of respectable quality can be had for a reasonable cost ($30 to $60) and is well worth the investment.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”