4X10X4 Bin Packing List

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sat. Jul. 18, 2015 11:50 pm

First criticism........No need for a plywood floor when putting the bin on concrete. Unless you are putting the floor on a 45 degree angle or more to get the coal to slide towards the low end. It's a waste of money. And 2nd criticism.... 2x6 studs for a 4x8 bin is also a waste of money........totally unnessecary.

And, with as small as that bin is.............use 2- 2x4's across the top to hold the sides together. You can't get enough weight in there to tear it apart. No need to waste more money on turnbuckles and 'cables or chains'.

Don't take offense, it's the truth.

It's hard to offer criticism, because people are upset so easily. But I see bunches of money wasted here, that could have been turned into useable storage space, and/or coal for heat.

MikeO88
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Propane

Post by MikeO88 » Mon. Jul. 20, 2015 11:30 pm

Hey, I've got thick skin, so, no offense taken. Its not too late for me to remove the plywood and put mount it outside the box, which would up the capacity.

I'll still need two deliveries regardless, however, so, I don't know...

I'm happy the thing is standing and seems stable!

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Tue. Jul. 21, 2015 4:25 am

MikeO88 wrote:Hey, I've got thick skin, so, no offense taken. Its not too late for me to remove the plywood and put mount it outside the box, which would up the capacity.

I'll still need two deliveries regardless, however, so, I don't know...

I'm happy the thing is standing and seems stable!
It's very strong, you definitely put it together well.

Don't put the plywood on the outside, it won't hold up.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jul. 21, 2015 6:57 am

Thick skinned huh? LOL Have you been reading these suggestions from people that have bins? #1 use concrete for floor #2 plywood on inside--tried & true methods//your way--floor will rot over time & plywood outside will bow & eventually burst. Did you say thick headed??? :oops2: nope thick skinned-- :clap: toothy--looks good so far my friend, a couple changes would really help ya in the long run. ;)

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Tue. Jul. 21, 2015 7:52 am

Looking good, except for the floor.....As mentioned the plywood on the floor will hold water draining from the coal and rot over time. not only that but if your garage is like mine the concrete gets condensation on it and the plywood will soak that up from the bottom side too.

Although I have an outdoor bin with a roof which is a bit different than yours, I used 2x's across the top span to hold the walls together, worked well in mine!

Keep the plywood on the inside of the walls. Same idea as those horse farms that have the fence rails on the inside of the posts...the horse reference was for FF and CN.....

Vampiro
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson S260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: #45 BAD HWH
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk1
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite, Pea Coal
Other Heating: POS gas boiler

Post by Vampiro » Thu. Aug. 20, 2015 8:39 pm

What's wrong with just using concrete blocks, rebar, and mortar for a bin that will last as long as the house?

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Aug. 20, 2015 9:43 pm

Vampiro wrote:What's wrong with just using concrete blocks, rebar, and mortar for a bin that will last as long as the house?
There's a substantial amount of "permanence" that goes along with that solution lol. Other than that, it's a great idea 8-)

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”