My Second TT Delivery Experience

skobydog
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anthracite

Post by skobydog » Thu. Jul. 23, 2015 6:04 pm

Two seasons ago I bought a TT load of nut coal. I didn't realize how big the truck was until it arrived. Long story short, the truck made it in the driveway but it took him over 45 mins to get in my driveway.

This time I attempt to order a tri-axle but was unable to find one. So I bought a backhoe to widen my driveway. I wanted one anyway so this was my excuse to finally get one.

My driveway is on a hill and there's a tree on one side and telephone pole on the other. That along with the grading of the hill made it hard to widen the top of the driveway without having a steep entrance. So I decided to decrease the angle at which the truck would come which required me to widen the middle and bottom portions of the driveway. I called a friend who's also a driver to see what he thought and to see if he could stop to look. He agreed by coming this weekend to look.

Well the next day (yesterday) the trucking company calls and says the truck is loaded and will be there tomorrow (today). The first driver had such a hard time getting in my driveway that I wasn't sure how this was going to go. I got up this morning and widened the driveway even more.

By now the driveway was at a 45 degree angle. The driver was able to back straight in hugging the tree on one side and made it in without having to pull forward which is exactly what I was hoping for. If the driveway was any narrower he probably could have made it but I wanted him to be able to make it with pulling forward.

Overall the process went well. The only issue was the short notice the trucking company gave me. The last load I did get a few days notice which helped with my work schedule. This came as a surprise but I work second shift so it was ok.

I also posted this so anyone who's thinking of doing the same will have some insight of what to expect or what to think about. I also posted pictures online to a trucker's forum and they helped me out. I even made a model truck to scale as suggested by one trucker of my driveway to look for any "choke" points.

Even though the driveway was only 20 feet wide at the top I believe coming in at a 45 degree angle saved me. FYI, for anyone thinking about getting a TT load these trucks are much bigger when they arrive so plan accordingly. I still gotta move the coal out of my driveway but at least it's on my property. :D

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Jul. 23, 2015 6:57 pm

Come on SD, as far as scheduling, these truckers are doing the best they can--AND--believe it or not, I'd bet you're not his only delivery. Good news is--that oil truck don't even need anyone home--no muss, no fuss-- :clap: toothy --sorry, couldn't help that one ;)

skobydog
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anthracite

Post by skobydog » Thu. Jul. 23, 2015 7:45 pm

I know Fred. Trucking companies don't like to travel empty so when it's works out for them they will deliver.

I'm glad I was there to see if there were any issues getting into my yard. At least I know if I ever order more they can get in if I'm not around. ;)

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”