< $1500 Alternatives to Hitzer 55

JRLearned

Post by JRLearned » Thu. Jul. 23, 2015 11:49 am

I'm evaluating the purchase of a Hitzer 55. It looks like a great, no frills hand-fired stove with a price tag that is palatable. 1/4" plate steel, big cast iron grates, deep capacity, bimetal thermostat, 60K BTU output. I haven't found much else in the economy, $1400-$1500, range that is comparable. Does anyone have any alternatives in this price range I should evaluate?

confedsailor
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 100 KBtu Chappee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac 513
Other Heating: Oil Fired 1950"s American Standard Arcoliner 132K BTU

Post by confedsailor » Thu. Jul. 23, 2015 1:05 pm

Wilson coal in NJ just sold my co-worker a DS Machine #1500 Circulator w/the warming shelf for 1500 and some change. Its a 96K BTU stove. They also gave him 240lbs of coal on the house. The Circulator model comes in 2 sizes smaller a 50K and 80K as well. DS Machine doesn't have a much of a website as they are Amish.

http://www.wilsoncoal.com/stoves/ds_stoves.html

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Jul. 23, 2015 2:11 pm

The 55 doesnt have that thick of steel. Its maybe 22 or 24 gauge on the sides, unless they recently changed. The critical areas are thicker.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Jul. 23, 2015 2:32 pm

The best deal is if KingCoal comes up with something, combining the best of old and new.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Jul. 23, 2015 9:35 pm

franco b wrote:The best deal is if KingCoal comes up with something, combining the best of old and new.
thank you very much, I appreciate the vote of confidence.

i can currently supply a very limited number of original design Locke 120 stoves, it will take me a yr. to produce more along with a limited number of Warm Morning Model 524 B, 3 flue stoves.

there is considerable recasting on each and they may not be as inexpensive as hoped.

there will be a few configuration options for both and I fully expect them to thoroughly rival the best of the period stoves.

steve

JRLearned

Post by JRLearned » Sat. Jul. 25, 2015 1:04 pm

warminmn wrote:The 55 doesnt have that thick of steel. Its maybe 22 or 24 gauge on the sides, unless they recently changed. The critical areas are thicker.
Are you saying the 55 has walls so thin you could cut it with tin snips??! That would be a major drawback.

Think I saw the 1/4" on the 254 model brochure, not the 55. I've never seen a 55 in person, cause nobody stocks them, special order only.

Can anyone here confirm the actual steel thickness on the 55?

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Jul. 25, 2015 1:41 pm

It isnt very thick but I don't know the gauge for sure. It is made thin to transfer more heat, and it has a downdraft built inside to force the heat along the sides of the stove. The doors, top, grate, etc are all thick but not the outer wall. I'm not saying its bad, but they are thin. You may have to call Hitzer and ask what gauge. For whatever its worth, I still think its a good stove. My Dad has one.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Jul. 25, 2015 2:46 pm

i'm certain the outer heat transfer walls are not "structural" on the 55.

many of the 1900"s era stoves had rolled barrels of 20ish g. steel that lasted A LONG time.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Jul. 25, 2015 5:33 pm

Unfortunately a model 55 has no rolled cylinder body. :)

Just a guess, flat steel sides maybe in and around the range of 9 gauge, plus or minus. :?: :?: :?:

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Sat. Jul. 25, 2015 6:33 pm

99.9% sure 16 GA on the 55 &82 which equates to 1/16 inch. However wouldn't scare me a bit as fire box is totally brick lined; so no coal in direct contact with steel.
Jim.
PS: 3/16 on other models.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sat. Jul. 25, 2015 11:14 pm

coalder wrote:99.9% sure 16 GA on the 55 &82 which equates to 1/16 inch. However wouldn't scare me a bit as fire box is totally brick lined; so no coal in direct contact with steel.
Jim.
PS: 3/16 on other models.
Is this on the firebox, or the outer shell?

I personally can't see it on the firebox................but I was wrong once.............I think

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Jul. 26, 2015 8:34 am

The firebox is brick lined and has a support frame made out of rugged steel. I had a model 82 that was made the same way, big heat for short $.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Jul. 26, 2015 8:55 am

i finally looked up the #55 stove so I could see how it's built.

you have nothing to fear with the construction of that stove. it's another pretty good variant of the original Riteway #37 design.

on both stoves, the outer shell is the same gauge steel top to bottom. in the lower area of the side walls the outer shell is also the backer and in direct contact with the brick in the fire pot. each of those stoves also have HUGE radiant area above the fire pot, so the fire pot is directly radiant thru the skin and the skin is one piece so it gets the heat thru the bricks at the bottom and the heat from the exhaust over the whole of the upper stove. simple, brilliant.

the #37 is a BEAST heater fired on coal, with far more potential heat delivery than is claimed. when I ran mine, I kept the bi metal turned completely down to zero and a dime under the tip of the intake flap so it couldn't run over idle and it kept a 1300 s.f. 2 story uninsulated ( as in NONE anywhere ) house with old single hung wood sash windows 72* to 80* depending on how windy it was.

the 55 actually looks to me alot like the DSM New Style Champion stoves which isn't too surprizing either.

when run low and slow enough to meet the comfort level of an appropriately sized and laid out area it will provide decent fuel economy too.

in it's class and price range I don't think there are many current contenders.

steve

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”