Tractor Supply Kimmels Coal Is It Worth It?

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Wed. Jul. 15, 2015 3:25 pm

captcaper wrote:Getting back to the OP I hope I don't have to wait long or not get my full order because all of you all buying up Kimmels as well. Lets keep it our secret.. Ha.. I had a guy here PM me once to tell me not to tell how nice Blazcek coal is. I bet some could guess who that might. I won't mention names..
After all I need it more then you guys...Just look at my Thermometer... It's common to get those temps here. :D
33 below.jpg
I hope that temp was not today! :clap: :clap: toothy

Randy

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Wed. Jul. 15, 2015 3:53 pm

I've got a set of Firestone air bags in the back of my truck. Before I ever installed those, I had a 2,400 lb. pallet of coal back there that I took about 30 miles. '07 Silverado 1500. Handled it very well.

I've overloaded many a vehicle. The weight carrying capacities of trucks today factor in liability #1, and #2 worst case scenario, like doing the 80 mph speed limit out west and having to jack your brakes to the floor for an emergency stop. MA has some of the slowest average speeds in the nation, so I can get away with it here - just got to ALWAYS pay attention, maintain your equipment, and take your time. Not advocating taking chances - just saying not everyone can afford a 3/4 or 1-ton truck - gotta do what you gotta do to keep the house warm.

I will say that the '07 handles the load MUCH better than my '94 did. Could have been because the '94 had well over 250k on her when this pic was taken. :lol: 3k pounds in back here: :o

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Wed. Jul. 15, 2015 10:17 pm

deepwoods wrote:Just want to mention here in Pa. the State Police can usually spot an overloaded pickup. The front end up & rear end down are dead giveaways. I know a few folks who have been fined. I would'nt even try it with my wimpy S10 though I did haul bags last year because I had no bunker. 800 lbs was the max I hauled at a time. This year I am getting it bulk conveyed straight into my bunker.
Yes sir, front up rear down are dead giveaways.

But with this I'll add a caveat..........I purchased my 2013 ram 1500 used..........it was originally title in West Virginia. The lowest weight classification that West Virginia reckognizes is..........3/4 ton. My ram 1500 is now rated at 3/4 ton in Pa. My 98 Dakota was also rated as 3/4 ton as it originally came from West Virginia also. Go figure...........a 3/4 ton Dodge Dakota. I tried my best to explain it to Pa. DOT, but to no avail............I paid 3/4 ton license and had to put the class 2 sticker on the windshield.

And no offense Deepwoods, the Chevy S10 was one of the worst pickups I ever saw for weight carrying. The 800 lbs. is about all I've ever seen anyone be able to carry in one (stock that is).

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Wed. Jul. 15, 2015 10:27 pm

SMITTY wrote:I've got a set of Firestone air bags in the back of my truck. Before I ever installed those, I had a 2,400 lb. pallet of coal back there that I took about 30 miles. '07 Silverado 1500. Handled it very well.

I've overloaded many a vehicle. The weight carrying capacities of trucks today factor in liability #1, and #2 worst case scenario, like doing the 80 mph speed limit out west and having to jack your brakes to the floor for an emergency stop. MA has some of the slowest average speeds in the nation, so I can get away with it here - just got to ALWAYS pay attention, maintain your equipment, and take your time. Not advocating taking chances - just saying not everyone can afford a 3/4 or 1-ton truck - gotta do what you gotta do to keep the house warm.

I will say that the '07 handles the load MUCH better than my '94 did. Could have been because the '94 had well over 250k on her when this pic was taken. :lol: 3k pounds in back here: :o
I noticed you had more than just the pallet of coal in the bed in that picture. With just a pallet of Kimmels(2,000lbs) it would have looked a lot different. 250K makes a huge differecne also, the springs will be a lot weaker at that point.

Personally, the highest speed that I will do with that kind of weight in a half ton pickup is 60mph............but only if it feels right ! A person has got to understand the vehicle, the load, the road, and his own capabilities. Safety is first and foremost in my book.
Last edited by SWPaDon on Wed. Jul. 15, 2015 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Wed. Jul. 15, 2015 10:32 pm

SWPaDon,your truck is only legal to the max weight shown on the door jamb sticker. Yes Pa. accepts your over payment but having a license for 7000# still only allows you to max @ 6500# if that is what the sticker says. You can pay for 9000# tag but if the door says 8800# that is the max you can legally haul. Been there,done that with several trucks already.

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Wed. Jul. 15, 2015 10:39 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:SWPaDon,your truck is only legal to the max weight shown on the door jamb sticker. Yes Pa. accepts your over payment but having a license for 7000# still only allows you to max @ 6500# if that is what the sticker says. You can pay for 9000# tag but if the door says 8800# that is the max you can legally haul. Been there,done that with several trucks already.
It isn't that they accepted it.

They forced me to register it that way! I had no choice at all. I took pics of everything, and even sent in the weigh ticket. I was told it is 3/4 ton...........period.

Don't get me wrong, I understand what you are saying...............I was forced into a 3/4 ton registration, and told that the state had to honor it...........in writing.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Wed. Jul. 15, 2015 11:04 pm

Yep,they will hardly ever drop to a lower amount. BUT,they will still hold you to what the OEM sticker says for the GVWR.

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Wed. Jul. 15, 2015 11:13 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:Yep,they will hardly ever drop to a lower amount. BUT,they will still hold you to what the OEM sticker says for the GVWR.
Then they would need to fight amongst the different state departments...............I have it in writing.

Don't get me wrong, WH. I know where you are coming from. I kept all correspondence, it's in my glove box with the registration. They will have a problem if they attempt to prosecute me for anything..............and the countersuit will raise taxes on every PA. resident for years to come.

alpineboard
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert 600
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Tarm 202
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman HXL, 150, Crane 88, Crane 404
Other Heating: Solar

Post by alpineboard » Fri. Jul. 24, 2015 8:43 pm

I just checked TSC website, they have Kimmel Nut on their website as of "NOW". Looks like a addition to the SKU 110081799, or just search "coal" and it pops up to the webpage, hope the cpy/pste works, at least we can check for availability in store(if it works) , but not for a bag count or amount. Nothing on Rice yet. I think I am a rice fan again.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/kimmels- ... coal-40-lb

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Tue. Jul. 28, 2015 5:14 am

I can't wait for my 4 tons of Rice to come in from TSC. Time is flying fast and I'll be using the stove in early October here. I've been buying Blazkek for many years and the local guys here in Northern NH are the highest cost of it that I've seen. So this is good. I don't care what folks say about burning times,fly ash etc. Kimmels is Anthracite and it will burn in my stove.. That's the way I see it. I'll save alot of money..

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Tue. Jul. 28, 2015 8:34 am

captcaper wrote:I can't wait for my 4 tons of Rice to come in from TSC. Time is flying fast and I'll be using the stove in early October here. I've been buying Blazkek for many years and the local guys here in Northern NH are the highest cost of it that I've seen. So this is good. I don't care what folks say about burning times,fly ash etc. Kimmels is Anthracite and it will burn in my stove.. That's the way I see it. I'll save alot of money..
Some of my friends made the switch to tsc rice last yr and loved it and many of us burned the 'nut and stayed warm. Too bad they're not carrying pea this yr.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Jul. 28, 2015 2:30 pm

michaelanthony wrote:Too bad they're not carrying pea this yr.
They are building a new one here in town, supposed to be open in October. They will be carrying pea if they know what's good for them. :lol:

Stoker6268
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93

Post by Stoker6268 » Tue. Jul. 28, 2015 5:03 pm

Its amazing in this economy how much TSC is growing. Glad to see it!
They just opened another store this summer here in Lebanon NH.

pyro29
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby w/Blower
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Nut

Post by pyro29 » Tue. Jul. 28, 2015 5:42 pm

Having nothing to do with coal...

Went to TSC for several hundred feet of 6' fence (2" x 4" rectangular, 14ga galvanized). It was significantly less expensive than going to Home Depot AND the fence (and posts) were made right here in the USA. I only wish that TSC would carry stove size Kimmels...

Stoker6268
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93

Post by Stoker6268 » Tue. Jul. 28, 2015 6:06 pm

Agway sells Kimmel stove coal, but at their price you might as well heat with electric baseboard!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”