A Short Review of Picking up Coal From Lehigh Anthracite

grobinson2
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy, and EFM 520 round door
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coalbrookdale Darby, Harman Mark III, Stratford SC100, DutchWest 288 (With Coal Insert), Coalbrookdale Severn, Hitzer 50/93, Hitzer 354 Double Door, FrancoBelge La Normandie, DS Machine Anthramax
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Buck, Pea, Nut, and Stove
Other Heating: Vermont Castings Defiant 1975 FlexBurn, Fisher Grandpa Bear, Vermont Castings DutchWest 224, Vermont Castings Defiant 1945, Ravelli RV-100 Classic, Progress Hybrid, Glenwood Wood Chip Boiler

Post by grobinson2 » Mon. Jul. 20, 2015 12:36 pm

Good morning Guys,
Unfortunately things have been very hectic around here recently with me loosing my employment of the last seven years and just a bunch of other unpleasant things. I did however want to post something that has been quite positive in contrast to many other events over the last month.
I contacted Terry up at Lehigh Anthracite earlier this month to find out how I could go about getting some coal from him. Unfortunately the coal mine that my family has been getting there coal from for the last three years (Little Buck) is closed down and does not feel they will have any more coal this year. Terry could not have been nicer and was VERY quick in his responses and assistance in setting up a time for my to take my truck and five ton trailer up to the mine for some coal. My family and close neighbors burn about 30 tons of coal each year and I usually haul most of it for all involved. We burn everything from rice to stove coal so it really runs the gammet (sp?). I am from Southern Lancaster County, PA so I made the trip up through Reading and up to 1403 East Broad Street Tamaqua, PA 18252. I was totally out of my element bring to a new area and having lots of other things on my mind at the time. I arrived to find some very nice gentleman working on the rail road tracks who pointed me in the right direction. This mine was NOTHING like what I was used too and I could tell was a MAJOR operation in progress. Trucks were running in every direction and the place was awash in coal. When you arrive you must cross the rail road tracks and sign in with security at the little building next to the tracks. He will give you a hard had and have you sign your visitors card and other information. Please have your DL with you and know your plate number for ease of sign-in. Once signed in you will make a hard left and head up a steep hill to scale house number two which is up on the right. Please note that all of the driving done at the mine is on the left side of the road way. Obviously this is the opposite of what all of us are used too and let me tell you that at least for this driver it really messed with my mind the entire time I was there. Also all heavy equipment has the right of way so don't make the mistake of driving in front of them. Once at the scale house a very nice lady inside called for a loader and gave me directions on where to go to pick up my coal. After leaving the scale and heading even further up the mountain I arrived at the top to find acres and acres of coal sitting all over the place. Trucks rolled in and out and a very nice gentleman in a large pay-loader came over and loaded me with my five tons of coal. I tarped the load and headed back down the hill to the scale house for load out weight. They accept cash and check but you need to have your DL, address and phone number printed on the check. Once I got my load out weight I paid and back down the hill I went. Please do not forget to check out with security before you head back over the rail road tracks. They will want there hard hat back and visitor badge. All in all the whole process from start to finish took about 20 minutes and EVERYONE was very very nice. I am sure I was a pain in there but not knowing where I was going or what I was doing and yet they never showed an ounce of annoyance. Needless to say I will be picking up much more coal from them in the very near future. I will of course post a very comprehensive review of there coal both in rice and nut/stove form when the burning season begins. The coal that I picked up this last time was from the mammoth vain according to the scale house operator. Again thank you to Terry and to Lehigh Anthracite's other very hospitable employees that helped me that day.

Thanks again,
Glenn

coal stoker
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: oil fired boiler

Post by coal stoker » Mon. Jul. 20, 2015 7:09 pm

Thanks for the review
love to hear abut good experiences
best regards
CS

stovepipemike

Post by stovepipemike » Thu. Jul. 30, 2015 7:45 am

Glenn, Thanks for the report, I found the whole bunch of them very accommodating when I went last year . I understand that it is closed for "light loads" like me over the summer. Light loads are only available on Saturdays in the burning season as far as I know. I have the same feeling as you experienced about their equipment running around in there . When the tires on their rigs come taller than the roof on my truck it is imperative to pay close attention. I totally understand why they don't want 30 or 40 small users running thru their heavy traffic. Have you an idea when they open up for light loads? Mike

stovepipemike

Post by stovepipemike » Thu. Jul. 30, 2015 7:47 am

Sorry Glenn, I just had their ad pop up and it shows the date when they resume small sales. Mike

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Jul. 30, 2015 7:57 am

The small loads ioaded by bobcat on Saturdays begins 09/12/2015 for the 2015-2016 season.

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Fri. Jul. 31, 2015 11:59 pm

grobinson2, nice post. Do you ( or anyone else) know what Lehigh's minimum purchase is before they resume Sat. retail sales?

From the post it sounded like a 5 ton trailer load and maybe some in your truck? I understand that the bobcat loading of small amounts is just retail. The guy that I started using for bulk delivery last year only likes going to Blaschak or DiRenzo, but I'd like to talk him into a load from Lehigh.

I'm looking at more like 4 tons, maybe 5, tops if I would have to. I was assuming that they might require 10 or 20 tons. I think that my guy has a 5 ton and 6 ton trucks.

I can just call Lehigh and ask, but I thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks!

grobinson2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coalbrookdale Darby, Harman Mark III, Stratford SC100, DutchWest 288 (With Coal Insert), Coalbrookdale Severn, Hitzer 50/93, Hitzer 354 Double Door, FrancoBelge La Normandie, DS Machine Anthramax
Other Heating: Vermont Castings Defiant 1975 FlexBurn, Fisher Grandpa Bear, Vermont Castings DutchWest 224, Vermont Castings Defiant 1945, Ravelli RV-100 Classic, Progress Hybrid, Glenwood Wood Chip Boiler

Post by grobinson2 » Sat. Aug. 01, 2015 12:24 am

Good evening,
5 ton minimum and the trailer must be long/large enough to accept loading via large payloader. Also load must be tarped when you leave.

Thanks again,
Glenn

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Sat. Aug. 01, 2015 1:37 am

Glenn, Thank you for that information!

grobinson2

Post by grobinson2 » Sat. Aug. 01, 2015 8:00 am

More then welcome Sir!

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”