Will the Coal Conversion Kit Fit Any Version Resolute Stove?

spiker

Post by spiker » Fri. Feb. 12, 2010 5:19 pm

Good lead, thanks. I will end up ordering a rheostat after the initial setup is complete and I am sure the stove works for me.

I was a couple of towns over today getting my license renewed and remembered that there was a stove shop in the area. Tracked it down and found that they carried the Stove Bright paint. So I got 2 cans of the Metallic Black. That should give a nicer finish than the Rustoleum I was considering using.

They happened to have a Vigilant II coal stove, listed for $1550 and I was told they would sell it for 200 less. It was cool to see one in person after seeing them online so much. If anyone wants to follow up, let me know. It is RI though, so out of the way for many members. I also saw the latest Resolute Acclaim, and was not really impressed with the workmanship. The sections did not seem to fit together very cleanly, not like the older stoves.

My plan is to spend this weekend cutting the legs, removing the heat shield, and prep for paint. Not sure if I will get to the painting, it is Valentines.

spiker

Post by spiker » Sun. Feb. 14, 2010 10:51 am

I have continued this discussion in a new post focused on the Citation stove:

Refurbishing a Salvo Citation

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Sun. Feb. 14, 2010 11:04 am

spiker wrote:Good lead, thanks. I will end up ordering a rheostat after the initial setup is complete and I am sure the stove works for me.

I was a couple of towns over today getting my license renewed and remembered that there was a stove shop in the area. Tracked it down and found that they carried the Stove Bright paint. So I got 2 cans of the Metallic Black. That should give a nicer finish than the Rustoleum I was considering using.

They happened to have a Vigilant II coal stove, listed for $1550 and I was told they would sell it for 200 less. It was cool to see one in person after seeing them online so much. If anyone wants to follow up, let me know. It is RI though, so out of the way for many members. I also saw the latest Resolute Acclaim, and was not really impressed with the workmanship. The sections did not seem to fit together very cleanly, not like the older stoves.

My plan is to spend this weekend cutting the legs, removing the heat shield, and prep for paint. Not sure if I will get to the painting, it is Valentines.
Tips on using and curing stove brite paint

http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/f20874/a2917/Hi- ... Stove.html

http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/f20874/a3254/Hi- ... Paint.html

spiker

Post by spiker » Sun. Feb. 14, 2010 1:39 pm

Thanks, good stuff. Please note above that I shifted this to another post.

fish665
Hand Fed Coal Stove: vemont casting resolute 1

Post by fish665 » Fri. Jul. 31, 2015 12:28 pm

hi I have a v/c resolute 1 stove, I have the coal conversion kit ,but I reading pre post that someone sealed the coal conversion and frt door for better heat, can someone explain how to do this or will I can find this info. I've been buring my stove wrong,i have never closed the damper with I will try in the fall. I can't get to go over 300. I thought that's the best the stove would do. Also does anyone know will to get throat extentions that you can move in the main throat. lower or higher 2 pieces
thank you
fish665

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Jul. 31, 2015 2:18 pm

Welcome to the FORUM F. Be patient, it's a slow time of the year, but there's v/c stove users here that I'm sure will help ya out.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Jul. 31, 2015 8:24 pm

fish665 wrote:hi I have a v/c resolute 1 stove, I have the coal conversion kit ,but I reading pre post that someone sealed the coal conversion and frt door for better heat, can someone explain how to do this or will I can find this info. I've been buring my stove wrong,i have never closed the damper with I will try in the fall. I can't get to go over 300. I thought that's the best the stove would do. Also does anyone know will to get throat extentions that you can move in the main throat. lower or higher 2 pieces
thank you
fish665
The idea is to seal any gap that will allow air to bypass the coal bed from the ash pan area and go straight up the chimney carrying heat with it and not allowing the stove to develop its full potential. The gap on the back of the doors is the common offender. With doors closed it has to seal tight against the fire pot. That also applies to any internal parts on the sides that could allow air in. You want all air to go through the coal bed.

Once sealed you will have to close the air intake down to control the fire. the stove will be completely different and a lot more controllable.

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Sat. Aug. 08, 2015 3:56 pm

fish665 wrote:hi I have a v/c resolute 1 stove, I have the coal conversion kit ,but I reading pre post that someone sealed the coal conversion and frt door for better heat, can someone explain how to do this or will I can find this info. I've been buring my stove wrong,i have never closed the damper with I will try in the fall. I can't get to go over 300. I thought that's the best the stove would do. Also does anyone know will to get throat extentions that you can move in the main throat. lower or higher 2 pieces
thank you
fish665
That stove should go way over 300... You'll have to post pictures. I'd need to see how you have the stove set up, the grates, the side walls and all that. What's your chimney? How tall? What diameter? Inside, outside?

I don't understand you last question.

dj

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”