Alaska Console II Coal Stove

ad356

Post by ad356 » Thu. Aug. 20, 2015 9:11 pm

well there is one for sale locally. im guessing its a somewhat older model but I was told it was in good working condition. what the general opinion of this model? at this price point I would be quite happy I could part ways with the pellets and probably not out an additional cash. it wasnt that long ago that I bought my Harman but after burning pellets with the price continuing to rise every year I am starting to regret it. if I can change my fuel source and not shell out an additional $3,000 I would be feeling better about it. I cannot say the Harman pellet has been a bad unit but I think pellets as a fuel is kind of not so great. they are expensive, the quality of the fuel is never the same, and the heat output is mediocre at best. the first winter I had it, it was wonderful but that winter wasnt as harsh..... with the last two winters being super bad with weeks of negative temps at a time I was dealing with a house at less then 60 degrees and I was burning 3-4 bags per day. he is asking $1,000 for this stove, what does the console retail new? also it is a top vent unit, can I use a power-vent? I also have no idea how to hook up a power-vent.

Doby
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast console and Alaska Channing III
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: oil but not much

Post by Doby » Thu. Aug. 20, 2015 10:11 pm

Directly from the alaska website
Power Vented systems can use either top vent or rear vent stoves.

Direct vented systems can only be used on the Stoker Stove II, Channing III rear vent, and Kast Console III rear vent.
The kast counsole retails in my area for $2800, I am near their factory outlet so direct buy.
They are a good stove I heated a 2400 sq ft 1970 ranch home, this includes both 1st floor and basement with stove located in basement for 12 years, I have recently added a alaska channing bought used for such a good price I could not turn it down, I use the channing as a back up and for really cold snaps. I actually like the channing better, it has a steel top witch I had alaska add a duct ring to and run a 6 inch stove pipe as a duct to the 1rst floor, this way I don't heat the finished basement when not in use

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Fri. Aug. 21, 2015 9:12 am

I had one, it was a bit used. After a little work it became a fantastic heat machine.

The only complaint I had was the carpet feed stoker mine had dropped fines on the floor continuously. I didn't care since it was in the cellar, but it could be an issue, a container to catch them would help.

Alaska Kast Console Is Home

Doby
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast console and Alaska Channing III
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: oil but not much

Post by Doby » Sat. Aug. 22, 2015 6:09 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:I had one, it was a bit used. After a little work it became a fantastic heat machine.

The only complaint I had was the carpet feed stoker mine had dropped fines on the floor continuously. I didn't care since it was in the cellar, but it could be an issue, a container to catch them would help.

Alaska Kast Console Is Home
Newer models I think in the mid 80's used a paddle feed so depending on how old it may not be a issue

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Aug. 22, 2015 9:27 pm

I guess mine was an antique!

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Aug. 22, 2015 10:04 pm

Doby wrote:
Newer models I think in the mid 80's used a paddle feed so depending on how old it may not be a issue
I think you mean late 90's.

I would question weather this would be enough heat for your farmhouse. The P61 is a good heat producing machine, even if I don't like it's fuel. I don't think an old Alaska will make you say to yourself, "WOW, this is way better than my pellet stove!". The older hi-output Alaska's were 70,000 BTU. If it is a hi-output and not a smaller 50,000BTU model.

If I were you and wanted a stoker stove, I would be looking for a 105,000BTU Keystoker or one of the bigger Hitzer's.

-Don

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Sun. Aug. 23, 2015 1:06 am

Don,

AFAIK the real old Alaskas were 38k btu/hr, the next generation "carpet-type" ones (e.g., Channing II) were 70k btu/hr, and the most recent, "paddle-type" ones (e.g., Channing III) are 85k btu/hr. I think the bigger the stove gets relative to a 61k pellet stove, the more important it becomes to consider a furnace, or at least an air circulation capability, to keep the heat reasonably uniform in the house.

Mike

ad356

Post by ad356 » Sun. Aug. 23, 2015 5:45 am

i had no idea that there were stoves on the market that were that low in BTU. I assumed that coal itself was just a hotter fuel. the lowest BTU coal stove I have seen so far currently on the market is the 'LIL heater by leisure line @ 70K btu

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sun. Aug. 23, 2015 7:26 am

I recommend looking for a ~90k rated stoker at a minimum.

They can produce a lot less BTU's just by running in 'pilot' or 'idle' mode but the BTU's will be there if the 'stat is calling for it.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Aug. 23, 2015 8:06 am

Do the math (calculator).

In the very first post here it was stated to needing to burning 3-4 bags of wood pellets in this fine P61 in one cold day and house never ever hit even as high as 60*F.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”