Top Vent Vs. Rear Vent

ad356

Post by ad356 » Wed. Aug. 26, 2015 6:45 am

there is a stove fairly close to me, about an hour away. I have a friend I could probably talk into to pick it up actually. its a leisure line pioneer for $800 looks like a nice stove. the only thing is that its a top vent. I was told by a dealer that a power vent produces too much draft and will suck the heat right out of the stove, is that true or is it just a dealer trying to sell HIS rear vent, direct vent stove?? he claims that a power vent is not properly sized to the stove. $800 seems like price is certainly right the stove looks like its in nice shape too.

if I bought this stove what would be the right power vent for it and where is the best place to buy necessary power-vent?

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Wed. Aug. 26, 2015 7:12 am

That wuld have been a great question for the Leisure Line forum: Leisure Line Stove Company

I sent Flyer5 a pm directing him to this thread for ya.
Last edited by SWPaDon on Wed. Aug. 26, 2015 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Wed. Aug. 26, 2015 8:08 am

Me thinks he was trying to sell you his rear vent stove by trashing the other one in your eyes. The power vent won't suck the heat out of the stove. Fumes and gases maybe that would normally kill you it will get.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Aug. 26, 2015 4:34 pm

I believe there are advantages to particular designs. For example, a rear vent that is down low in the combustion area forces the hot gases to release a little more heat to the stove body before they can cool and sink to the lower outlet. A top vent doesn't give the hot combustion gases the same opportunity. That said, a lower outlet of flue gas flow should be a smidgen more efficient with transferring heat to the combustion body than a high outlet. Just a smidgen.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Wed. Aug. 26, 2015 8:19 pm

A properly installed and adjusted powervent will not suck all the heat out of the stove. Can you PM me the dealer name? As always a powervent has noise and uses electricity and requires maintenance. Those are the 3 cons so with that said I do always recommend a chimney either class A or masonry if possible over a PV. A chimney will always be cheaper over the life of the stove.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”