Bought Myself a Lemon

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Aug. 25, 2015 7:12 pm

Maybe some gang banger had access to it & had all sorts of neon lights on her. You know, that lil old lady that only drove it to church on Sundays. :)

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. Aug. 25, 2015 7:32 pm

It makes me glad that all I have to do once I get into town is tie the horse to the hitching post and strap on a hay bag.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Tue. Aug. 25, 2015 8:28 pm

Could there have been a tracking device on that car at one time?

And if you push the red button......beware of ejection seats :eek2:

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Aug. 25, 2015 8:38 pm

Richard S. wrote:
All four of these are connected at same spot on the cabin wiring harness. It's regular electric tape, doesn't look like someone did a shabby job but doesn't look factory either.
Now that I'm looking closer it looks like it may be factory.... Looking at this video I see that ring on there. It just seemed odd the way it was taped on there.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Aug. 25, 2015 10:24 pm

Electricial tape is not uncommon on factory harnesses, they tend to be at the ends and junctions on the corragated plastic wrap. It may feed back to the computer?

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Aug. 25, 2015 10:39 pm

I don't know. Thought it was aftermarket which is why I wanted to know, since it now looks like it isn't aftermarket it doesn't really matter what it is.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Tue. Aug. 25, 2015 10:40 pm

I've been under a lot of hoods, an that's the first I've ever seen of that! Nothing surprises me anymore, post '96 anyway. :lol:

Damn Richard, nice place to work! I have to tackle jobs like that outside in the blazing sun, or frigid cold. Barn floor is dirt . I've got plywood, and shipping crates laid down randomly, but that damn dirt still finds it's way into everything. Drop a mission-critical part, it's f'ing gone forever. :mad: I hate working on modern cars to begin with ... and then throw in blazing sun, or -30 wind chills, & I'm fit to be tied.

The dirt on that floor is a wormhole to another dimension, I swear. I may fall in it someday and find thousands of nuts, bolts, washers, screws, springs, and tools I've lost over the past 12 years ... :lol:

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Aug. 26, 2015 8:37 am

SMITTY wrote:
The dirt on that floor is a wormhole to another dimension, I swear. I may fall in it someday and find thousands of nuts, bolts, washers, screws, springs, and tools I've lost over the past 12 years ... :lol:
Been there done that, now they bounce and go under something. Never had place to work on anything before, not even a roof. I always ended just taking it to the garage... I'm sure you know the routine, takes just as much time getting the tools out, putting them back and the rest of the BS as it does to fix something. Nice having everything there and it's even nicer to be able to do it yourself. I really hate taking stuff to the garage, it's always half assed and expen$ive. The last thing I had done was on the last car was starter, I didn't have time. Charged me like $300, starter is $100 if you buy it yourself.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Wed. Aug. 26, 2015 10:30 am

Richard S. wrote:Who wants to play what the hell is that?

This ring is on the negative cable to the battery terminal, there is a connector with wire that goes to it that's disconnected and not in the picture. The ring itself has small piece of plastic on the bottom and it's just taped to the wire. It's not wired to the negative cable in anyway. There is also that other wire, I'm assuming GM does not tape wires to negative terminals at the factory.

Any idea what this is for?
Google battery current sensor. GM is trying to charge your battery better and save gas and all that other good stuff while trying not to burn your car up at the same time.

But that is what it apears to be.

Push the big red button and have someone put it on youtube while you do it.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Wed. Aug. 26, 2015 8:23 pm

gaw wrote:
Richard S. wrote:Who wants to play what the hell is that?

This ring is on the negative cable to the battery terminal, there is a connector with wire that goes to it that's disconnected and not in the picture. The ring itself has small piece of plastic on the bottom and it's just taped to the wire. It's not wired to the negative cable in anyway. There is also that other wire, I'm assuming GM does not tape wires to negative terminals at the factory.

Any idea what this is for?
Google battery current sensor. GM is trying to charge your battery better and save gas and all that other good stuff while trying not to burn your car up at the same time.

But that is what it apears to be.

Push the big red button and have someone put it on youtube while you do it.
My vote is always push the big red button. What could possibly go wrong?

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Wed. Aug. 26, 2015 9:07 pm

Flyer5 wrote: My vote is always push the big red button. What could possibly go wrong?
I managed the mainframe computer for a large (large for Maine) hospital, in the days when a computer filled a whole room. A computer operator stopped by with her 2-year-old daughter to pick up her paycheck, and the little girl pushed the big red button. Of course we had to put her through the paper shredder. :o

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Wed. Aug. 26, 2015 9:20 pm

rberq wrote:
Flyer5 wrote: My vote is always push the big red button. What could possibly go wrong?
I managed the mainframe computer for a large (large for Maine) hospital, in the days when a computer filled a whole room. A computer operator stopped by with her 2-year-old daughter to pick up her paycheck, and the little girl pushed the big red button. Of course we had to put her through the paper shredder. :o
Never leave witnesses. :)

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Thu. Aug. 27, 2015 8:58 am

Any time I bring any vehicle in for something, (like front end alignments for example) it always has something wrong with it.

Case in point - body shop repaired damage to my truck caused by another Masshole, and installed new step rails. Now the body creaks like a 50 year old farm truck. Step looks crooked as well. :(

Last alignment the guy had the wheel crooked - brought it back for him to fix, and he left the tie rod collar bolts loose ... :shock: Good thing I check everyone's work!!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Aug. 28, 2015 8:03 pm

That Van Wert looks fantastic with the covers on. Bet the garage is cooler too.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Aug. 28, 2015 11:38 pm

Rob R. wrote:
That Van Wert looks fantastic with the covers on. Bet the garage is cooler too.
I sanded them down and painted them, couldn't find exact match for the green so just went with the forest green. Did it with high density roller, you can almost get it to look like it was sprayed. When I get a chance I'm going to use the dremel to wire wheel the paint off the just the tops of the lettering and just hit it with some clear. Maybe I should let it rust a little first. :)
DSCN0405.JPG
.JPG | 136.2KB | DSCN0405.JPG
DSCN0407.JPG
.JPG | 84.6KB | DSCN0407.JPG
We did have it partially covered, just the controls and the back were missing. I added more insulation etc. There was enough room for r-19 on the top.

We need to add two more zones and those are going on the far wall in the garage for two bedrooms, when we do that we'll get the pipes up near the ceiling where they belong. Then I'll do the final job of insulating the pipes well. They were installing this during the flood and I wasn't around..... It's like why would hang pipes almost two feet from a ceiling, every time I bump one with something long I want to kill someone. :lol: This is also why the panel near the controls never made it on.

Both the PRV and back flow preventer were leaking, the thermometer was giving wrong readings. There was some other things, took the time to fix it all at once.

The zone is just for the heat in the garage. My Brother had this unit in his house after the flood and it kept that plenty warm so I'm guessing it won't have any trouble in the garage. Plus you already have all that residual heat. Should be around 50ish without anything.

Attachments

DSCN0406.JPG
.JPG | 113.7KB | DSCN0406.JPG

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”