Replacing Black Pipe

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Aug. 30, 2015 6:37 pm

McGiever wrote:https://www.northlineexpress.com

Heat Fab, Safe T Pipe, only one that is 24 ga thick and continuous laser welded.

dura-black is a thinner 24 ga and is only spot welded...if used for coal use you will regret. :x
Do you think this is better than the Champion 22 gauge stuff I get from woodland direct? (Check link in previous post)

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Sun. Aug. 30, 2015 7:32 pm

Lightning wrote:

Heat Fab, Safe T Pipe, only one that is 24 ga thick and continuous laser welded.

dura-black is a thinner 24 ga and is only spot welded...if used for coal use you will regret. :x
Do you think this is better than the Champion 22 gauge stuff I get from woodland direct? (Check link in previous post)
Lightning,

22 gage runs roughly 0.028 inches thick and 24 gage runs roughly 0.022 inches thick (depending upon standard used to determine gage thickness). Your 22 gage pipe is butt welded - an excellent welding technology that creates a nearly invisible weld seam, and for all practical purposes essentially no seam at all.

The Northline on their Saf-T-pipe claims "Featuring 100% Laser or Advanced resistance-welded seams, Saf-T Pipe..". The resistance-welded seam is likely the same as the butt welded, but more details would be required to really know. There are two different techniques available that may be explained in this kind of literature in this fashion. The LASER welded seam might be visible, but it would depend upon how they set up the welder and perform the finishing.

All three welding methods (if indeed there are three), if properly set up and executed, produce excellent welds.

The biggest difference appears to be the gage, and likely the finish. So as a quick an dirty, I'd say your Champion 22 gage is better.

dj

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Aug. 30, 2015 7:35 pm

Dj, thank you for your well written assessment :)

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Sun. Aug. 30, 2015 9:08 pm

Heavier stove pipe is GREAT.....if you can find it....

Remove your stove pipe at the end of every heating season, as soon as it is over. Clean it, dry it, paint it if you choose. Place it in large green trash bags and store in a hot dry place. Anywhere but the humid basement....

I'll rot my pipe in a years time if I leave it connected.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Aug. 30, 2015 9:30 pm

Lightning wrote:

Sorry for the typo...Heat Fab, Safe-T-Pipe is 22 gauge, not 24 as I mistakenly had listed. :oops:

Doby
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast console and Alaska Channing III
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: oil but not much

Post by Doby » Sun. Aug. 30, 2015 10:23 pm

I use this
http://www.build.com/duravent-6vft-57rofc/s102175 ... 31021549:s

for my stove out the fire place opening, pull it every other year for inspection other years I just run a brush up thru it. 12 years now and its still perfect and all I do is cap the chimney during off season

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Mon. Aug. 31, 2015 6:58 am

dlj wrote:
blrman07 wrote:Paint the inside of your stove pipe? Really? I have never heard of anyone doing that. Is it really that expensive that you go through these contortions to paint the inside of a stove pipe? :shock:
freetown fred wrote:My thoughts also Padre. :? I got my snap together 6" lasting 3 to 4 seasons & it's only 2 lengths + 10"'s
You don't "have" to paint in or out... Lisa showed pictures of her pipe and it was corroded through. She also said she didn't want to have to replace it often. It was simply my suggestion that she would have better results - given her constraints and visibly corroded chimney pipe - that painting her replacement stove pipe would give her notably better results...

blrman07: Never heard of painting stove pipe? Well I guess that's what the forums are for - to learn new things...

freetown fred: Happy that your pipe runs 3 to 4 seasons? Great! I'm happy for you too...

dj
I guess I wasn't specific enough.....I never heard of painting the INSIDE of a stove pipe. And yes I learn new things on forums all the time.

black diamonds

Post by black diamonds » Sun. Sep. 06, 2015 1:27 pm

I've been there before with the rusted out black pipe. went through two 12" sections since I first started heating with coal back in the 90's, then around 2005 I switched to double walled with stainless liner, and never looked back. it was pricey and had to pay for a professional install, but well worth it. it lasts a lot longer. good luck.

jremington
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: DS Machines. Keystoker
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: DS Machines Aqua Gem
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Koker 160
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Anthra Glo
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Anthramax Comfort Max
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: DS Kozy King
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Rice and Stove
Other Heating: Gas and pellet stoves

Post by jremington » Sun. Sep. 06, 2015 4:34 pm

I'm putting a coal stove in the garage this year, but last year I bought the Selkirk double wall black pipe for the wood stove to connect into the steel. It's pricey but it comes with a lifetime warranty. There's two different lengths of telescopic pipe so It's an easy install. I bought this because the black pipe before that lasted less than three years.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”