Bituminous Stoker/Lump Coal Grates

Teddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: building coal burning boiler
Coal Size/Type: stoker 2"/bituminous

Post by Teddy » Sat. Sep. 19, 2015 3:42 pm

I did run it enough to see and understand how it works/burns. I need a boiler not a furnace for my home, so If I end up using this firepot, I will be stripping most of the sheet metal away from it and building a new frame etc. to support the boiler and modify the combustion chamber. In this modification, I want to see if I can get the ashes/clinkers to fall down to an auger underneath for automatic ash removal. I also want to introduce heated secondary air to and increase the residence time in the combustion chamber to do a little better job of completely burning the coal/volatiles/oils/etc. before the exhaust gets chilled by the heat exchanger. As I mentioned before, there was an almost imperceptible haze occurring about 20 ft away from my short stack. Maybe this was because I hadn't let the system settle down yet but I think it is because of the combustion chamber design and incomplete combustion. I am so frustrated now, I can't wait to get home and start playing!!!!!

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Sep. 20, 2015 5:45 am

You may certainly attempt to get this Combustioneer to do what you want it to do, but as it is designed now, it will make very good clinkers with little if any ash. :)

chubs
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: combustioneer 77
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker bit.

Post by chubs » Sun. Sep. 20, 2015 10:27 am

[quote="carlherrnstein"]

Do you have a owners manual? I can send you one in a digital format. Also a combustioneer will fuse the ash into a clinker. So you will need a clinker tong, and probably a poker to break the clinkers up in to smaller pieces, to get them out the door.[/quote

All depends on the coal that is used. When I bought mine it came with a load of coal
Combustioneer Burning Again
was told this was coal from blue diamond mine in kentucky. This coal made mostly powder ash and I used a laddle to get the ash out.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Sun. Sep. 20, 2015 11:46 am

If the OP plans to use an auger for ash removal, that type of ash is needed. Clinkers = hard work and hassles for ash removal auger systems.

Mike

Teddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: building coal burning boiler
Coal Size/Type: stoker 2"/bituminous

Post by Teddy » Sun. Sep. 20, 2015 3:53 pm

It's good to hear from you again Mike. It does boil down again to me running it with my coal for many hours to see how much of what is formed. Unfortunately I have two things that I am not sure of with this old heater. The first is the blower housing has a gaping, ragged, hole , around 4" diameter around the blower wheel shaft on the motor side. I am fairly sure there should be no big hole there to let air in on the back side of the wheel, just one big enough to get the shaft through. The second issue is that the manual says the transmission has a fixed speed of 3 rpm, I assume that is the speed of the worm. I measured the speed of the worm after I took all the coal out and it was making a revolution every 38 sec or about 1.6 rpm. Because of these two things, I don't know if this is acting like a "normal" Combustioneer or not.

I plan to call the JonMar Gear folks tomorrow and see if I can buy a new blower housing or to find out if the gaping hole is correct and verify the speed of the worm. Does anyone know the speed of the existing 1/4 hp motor? Is it 3600 rpm for the high pressure blower, or 1800 rpm or 1200 rpm to help get the transmission get down to 3 or 1.6 rpm. Does anyone know the pressure that the blower produces? Maybe JonMar knows this also.

Should/could I have the moderator move this thread to the "Using Bituminous Coal" area?

Thanks again, Teddy

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Thu. Oct. 01, 2015 6:37 pm

The large hole is correct (at least mine has that too) an it has to be that way or else the step pulley/fan rotor will rub the housing if the motor is adjusted up to tighten the belt. However it is my opinion that that hurts nothing because, you never ever want to shut off the combustion air when the stoker is running.

I figured up the gearbox ratio once, if I remember right it was something like 600 to 1, that might seem fast but, you need to remember that there is also a speed reduction in the pulleys. I think the rpm of your auger is probably correct. The middle step pulley is about 2" in diameter and the gearbox input is about 4" so that halfs your motor speed on the input.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”