Stove and Heat

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Sun. Sep. 20, 2015 8:29 am

Gents I just read 7 pages of Rev. Larrys work .Can we all send him a 5 ver or 10 bucks .Think of this a case of beer is 20 bucks most placed .Lunch at a Burger joint 5 or 6 bucks .We or who are distanced from Ashland Pa. can not or physically unable to help lets open our wallets an help his program .Lets skip a night out or a stop at thr Gin Mill an help .thanks jack

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Sep. 20, 2015 9:09 am

blrman07 wrote:Ok now that the Meet and Greet has been held it is the official start time for Stove and Heat Ministry.

You may not believe this but it is hard to give away stoves that are fully functional, ready to go, transported and installed for free and all the person needs is an operational chimney. :shock: They are looking for the "hook."
that's GREAT, it means their hearts are not totally closed and cold so you can just set them up and step back. the Holy Spirit is The Best at the rest anyway.

BTW, hows the coal fund standing ?

steve

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Sep. 20, 2015 9:39 am

blrman07 wrote: You may not believe this but it is hard to give away stoves that are fully functional, ready to go, transported and installed for free and all the person needs is an operational chimney. :shock: They are looking for the "hook."
Like a coworker from Laos always says to me, "Only in America!".

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Mon. Oct. 05, 2015 7:47 am

I have transported two stoves to their new homes. We got them to the houses last week and this week we go back and get them into the basements and connect them up. The first one went to a family of Grandma, Daughter, Son-in-law and two girls. Daughter is pregnant with girl number 3. They have electric heat in their rental home. They have an external block and terra cotta liner chimney which should pose no problem hooking up. It is currently occupied by a nat gas burning boiler that was disabled. The door to the basement is blocked because of the sewer pipe going into the ground RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE BASEMENT ACCESS DOOR!!!! Thank goodness it's PVC. I'll cut it, move in the stove and then reconnect it with a coupling. This should be fun. :(

Stove number two went to a family of mom, dad and two girls under 6. It is a bigger three bedroom home heated by hot water standup radiators BUT they can't afford the oil to heat the place all winter. They are out of oil and are using an Edenpure heater that they roll from room to room downstairs. At night they put it at the bottom of the steps, put it on high and keep the bedroom doors open. I will have to reinforce the steps going down to their basement. They would probably hold the weight but when I jumped on them they moved side to side. Don't like that so I'm going to stabilze the steps before putting planks on them and winching the unit down the steps to the basement with my two ton come-a-long. :cry:

I have a home for another stove and the big coal fired air scorcher. The third stove for this year will go to a family with a dad, mom, and three kids. Last winter he tried to heat his home with two pellet stoves and burned around $500 a month in pellets. The stove I have for them should cut that down to $120 a month running flat out! The large OLD hot air system was donated by a local thrift store. We will transport that out this week and put it in the basement of a church in Helfeinstein Pa. Without this they would have to close for the winter as they don't have the money to heat it with oil. Irony here. The church pulled out the old coal fired hot air furnace for an oil furnace. Now the oil furnace will be idled and a hot air coal fired unit put back in.

At all three locations they have grates in the floor that were put there a LONG time ago for letting heat rise from the coal stoves in the basement. Back to the past and having a ball!!!!

Watch for updates!@!!

Attachments

1002151120.jpg

Waiting for delivery

.JPG | 121.9KB | 1002151120.jpg
1002151121.jpg

Coming off the truck. I have the dolly and Tom is steadying. We are letting gravity do the work.

.JPG | 123.2KB | 1002151121.jpg
1002151121a.jpg

On the ground!!

.JPG | 126.6KB | 1002151121a.jpg
1002151125.jpg

Grandma is happy as you can see by her smile. Yep we gotta get it through that little hatch, then cut the sewer pipe as it goes into the ground RIGHT IN THE DOORWAY!!!

.JPG | 122.1KB | 1002151125.jpg
1002151158.jpg

Second stove going to second family. Tom is taking a break.

.JPG | 123.1KB | 1002151158.jpg
1002151204.jpg

The youngest watched us get it down the hill, down the first set of steps and at the basement door.

.JPG | 94.2KB | 1002151204.jpg
1002151206b.jpg

Mom and kidlet in front of the stove. It will go through the door just to the left of the stove behind them. I am going to reinforce the steps as they are a bit shaky. She has burned coal before but they had a stove that had very little control. As she put it the coal was either like the surface of the sun or out. I assured her this stove was controllable and they would love it.

.JPG | 107.5KB | 1002151206b.jpg

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Mon. Oct. 05, 2015 9:00 am

Rev. Larry,good to hear from you with this very important part of your ministry. Did some kind person allow you to use a decent truck for the job ? Good to see several families getting help with their heating situation. Be careful with the heavy stoves,we don't need you laid up !!

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Mon. Oct. 05, 2015 10:00 am

that smile on granny is priceless !!! god bless :) :) :)

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Mon. Oct. 05, 2015 12:17 pm

Address???? To whom??

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Thu. Nov. 19, 2015 6:09 am

Ok I am a little remise in posting some photo's. I completed the install of the stove where the little girl is looking through the screen. This is where the square boxy type stove was going. One of the guys from church helped me get it there and set it in place by the door going to the basement. I got my son to help me get it into the basement down some old rickety wooden steps but with the stove on it's side and sliding down the steps It went down very nicely under control.

We set the stove in place and I came back two days later and hooked it up for them. Just in time because they ran out of oil the day before I showed up. the house was built in 1869 and appears to have always been a hot water heat with really nice looking standup cast iron radiators. There is a small grate directly above the stove that we are going to have to make bigger.

Once it was hooked up and fired up they were a little skeptical because the air coming up the grate wasn't 'hot" like what came out of their IR portable electric heater that were used to wheeling from room to room. I told them be patient. I got a text about 9:45 that the air was HOT coming up that grate and it was coming up like it had a blower on it.

They are happy as they can be and love their coal stove. Total cost to the family? ZERO :shock:

THANK YOU to all who have donated to the Stove and Heat Ministry. Your generosity has made this ministry possible.

I am having a slight technical problem with posting the photo's. I can see them just fine on my computer but when I add them to this post they show up as solid black. I am going to log off and come back in and see if that does it.

Very weird. The photo's come out all black if I post them on the forum. If I post them anywhere else, they come out just fine???? Something is happening when I try to post them on the forum. Any ideas on what the problem might be would be appreciated.
Last edited by blrman07 on Thu. Nov. 19, 2015 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Thu. Nov. 19, 2015 6:22 am

blrman07 wrote:THANK YOU to all who have donated to the Stove and Heat Ministry. Your generosity has made this ministry possible.
Have you set up a Paypal account for the "Stove and Heat Ministry" yet for donations?

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Thu. Nov. 19, 2015 7:02 am

Rather than spending more time trying to figure out what the photo's come out black, I put them on the church's FaceBook page and the link to the is below.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.9301481 ... 444&type=3

Thanks again to all who donate to this ministry. It helps people in the Southern Anthracite Coal Region of Pennsylvania supplement their heat and cut their heating cost. Due to the generosity of people on this forum, the cost to these families is ZERO :shock: The one family outlined earlier where we put the 30K wall mounted heater took their heating bill from over $500 a month to around $100.

The family that got their stove hooked up said it will be easy to track their costs. No oil, all coal.

Thanks again. :D

Rev. Larry Coutlee
New Beginning Church
919 Centre Street
Ashland Pa. 17921

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Nov. 19, 2015 7:47 am

Good job Rev. None of it would have happened if not for you !!!!!

Paul

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Thu. Nov. 19, 2015 4:09 pm

Thanx for posting the pictures Larry. I hope you get your other picture problem worked out.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sun. Dec. 06, 2015 10:11 am

Ran into a slight problem with the King O Heat stove. It was installed in a basement and hooked up to an outside concrete block chimney that used to have the oil burner in it. This chimney has so much draft, it is taking this stove to coalclear in nothing flat. I cautioned the home owner to always make sure the ash door is closed and close the air louver all the way to try and slow down the burn. It was installed directly under an old floor vent and it's heating with natural draft. The homeowner said standing over the vent feels like there is a blower pushing the air through it! :shock:

This stove was installed in a house and was the stove that started the Stove and Heat Ministry. She moved to an all electric row home and didn't need the stove. We pulled out the stove and "recycled" it into another home. The original site had an internal shared interior chimney that drafted OK but nothing fantastic.

This new location chimney drafts like CRAZY. :o Same stove, same type coal from the same yard and it burns crazy hot at the new location where the other site was like Goldilocks, "just right."

I ordered them a Dwyer Manometer this morning and it should be here by Wednesday. Then I'll be able to check their draft, install a baro and get it set correctly. None of this was needed at the first place this stove was installed. Difference between a shared row home chimney and a single family detached home on the top of a hill I guess. I didn't want to spend the ministry money unless the stuff was needed. Seems like it needs it for sure!!!

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sun. Dec. 06, 2015 10:23 am

blrman07 wrote:Ran into a slight problem with the King O Heat stove. It was installed in a basement and hooked up to an outside concrete block chimney that used to have the oil burner in it. This chimney has so much draft, it is taking this stove to coalclear in nothing flat. I cautioned the home owner to always make sure the ash door is closed and close the air louver all the way to try and slow down the burn. It was installed directly under an old floor vent and it's heating with natural draft. The homeowner said standing over the vent feels like there is a blower pushing the air through it! :shock:

This stove was installed in a house and was the stove that started the Stove and Heat Ministry. She moved to an all electric row home and didn't need the stove. We pulled out the stove and "recycled" it into another home. The original site had an internal shared interior chimney that drafted OK but nothing fantastic.

This new location chimney drafts like CRAZY. :o Same stove, same type coal from the same yard and it burns crazy hot at the new location where the other site was like Goldilocks, "just right."

I ordered them a Dwyer Manometer this morning and it should be here by Wednesday. Then I'll be able to check their draft, install a baro and get it set correctly. None of this was needed at the first place this stove was installed. Difference between a shared row home chimney and a single family detached home on the top of a hill I guess. I didn't want to spend the ministry money unless the stuff was needed. Seems like it needs it for sure!!!
No offense, Pastor. But this is something I personally would not do. If they happen to run out of coal, and start using wood, the resulting creosote build up could cause a flue fire, and the baro will feed the flames. I think a MPD would be much safer in this situation.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Dec. 06, 2015 12:12 pm

I'd have to agree with that view, Don.

This reminds me of a story an old autobody man told me.

He worked in a dealership back in the 1950's. The dealership owner's wife got a brand new car and it kept dying on her. Each time, the dealership mechanics checked it over thoroughly and couldn't find anything wrong.

This went on a while until one day the owner walked into the shop and said his wife was driving him crazy getting stuck in traffic and that they better find out what the problem was or they were all fired.

The service manager asked the dealer's wife to drive the car while he rode in the passenger seat. She got in, pulled out the choke handle all the way,........ and hung her hand bag on it. :roll:

Moral of the story, don't assume everyone knows how to properly operate a complex system safely. ;)

Paul

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”