DS Machine Boiler Info ?

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sat. Oct. 03, 2015 4:04 pm

KingCoal wrote:that's bit ? what screen size is that ?

thanks,
steve
They just call it 'nut', they only carry that and Run Of Mine.

coalrunner
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 260

Post by coalrunner » Sat. Oct. 03, 2015 4:13 pm

That's some good looking coal,and prices decent

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Sat. Oct. 03, 2015 4:20 pm

coalrunner wrote:That's some good looking coal,and prices decent
It burns well, and throws a lot of heat.

Several years back they were selling Waynesburg coal. That stuff was extremely volatile, you could light it with a match and it would blow flames as much as 10 feet out the loading door when you threw it into the furnace. With that coal, I couldn't keep it warm in the house. Furnace would be glowing red, but the house was cold. And the soot......OMG..........just overnight the snow in my yard would turn black. The Waynesburg mine closed down.

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Sat. Oct. 03, 2015 4:54 pm

Coalrunner, That price is pretty good. New ones are at least double that. I would definitely give it a try. A little trick that I do, is crack my flow valve. This gives me constant radiant heat, & eliminates pressure problems due to a power outage. With this your stove can idle along constantly keeping things warm & don't require "power surges" when the T-Stadt kicks on. I feel quite confident that you will be fine with the Harman. However this is with ant.
Jim

coalrunner

Post by coalrunner » Sat. Oct. 03, 2015 5:03 pm

We pull waynesburg as well. It's the first seam you come too. Very close to the surface. Very soft and definitely high volatile! We had a pile catch fire once and good god did it smoke somethit nasty!lol

coalder

Post by coalder » Sat. Oct. 03, 2015 5:14 pm

Well, that's my 02% on the Harman; I think you will be fine. Lets just sit back & see what Don has to say..
Jim

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Sat. Oct. 03, 2015 5:16 pm

The only thing I can offer is about the different coals I have used. I've never used a boiler, whether it be stoker or hand fed.

coalrunner

Post by coalrunner » Sat. Oct. 03, 2015 5:42 pm

Coalder,when you say crack your flow valve,do you mean so it can gravity feed? Does that help to keep it from overfire? I have a ton of experience with burning coal,but never with a boiler I have a lot to learn so I pray you guys are patient,lol

coalder

Post by coalder » Sat. Oct. 03, 2015 6:44 pm

Yeah, Open the flow valve so water can trickle through; this will give a steady heat while eliminating pressure issues. There-by your boiler isn't overtaxed when the t- stadt calls for heat. I've done this for over 40 yrs be it a wood boiler or coal. I've got a 1 inch main loop going to 1/2 inch to the fins.
Jim

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Mon. Oct. 05, 2015 1:03 pm

coalder wrote:Yeah, Open the flow valve so water can trickle through; this will give a steady heat while eliminating pressure issues. There-by your boiler isn't overtaxed when the t- stadt calls for heat. I've done this for over 40 yrs be it a wood boiler or coal. I've got a 1 inch main loop going to 1/2 inch to the fins.
Jim
Finally someone else that does what I have in an emergency with an oil fired system to turn it to gravity and know it works Others told me I was full of it and would never work with my answer be patient it will happen just not on their schedule.

coalrunner

Post by coalrunner » Sat. Oct. 10, 2015 7:57 pm

I stopped in yesterday and took a look at the aqua gem 3200,and the ahs wc 40. Both looked to be very well built. However,you can definitely tell the wc 40 was a much more robust system,and the better of the two. I was extremely impressed with everythingabout it,from the grates,down to the powdercoating. (pictures do it no justice). Still stuck though. The price of the ds is unbelievable honestly,and I think it would probably do the job. Just wish I could find and chat with people who have had these boilers and burnt bituminous coal in them. It's A large investment either way and I have to make it right the first time

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Sat. Oct. 10, 2015 8:15 pm

coalrunner wrote:I stopped in yesterday and took a look at the aqua gem 3200,and the ahs wc 40. Both looked to be very well built. However,you can definitely tell the wc 40 was a much more robust system,and the better of the two. I was extremely impressed with everythingabout it,from the grates,down to the powdercoating. (pictures do it no justice). Still stuck though. The price of the ds is unbelievable honestly,and I think it would probably do the job. Just wish I could find and chat with people who have had these boilers and burnt bituminous coal in them. It's A large investment either way and I have to make it right the first time
I haven't used either boiler, but I can tell you there will be no problem burning Bit coal in the DS aquagem 3200. The grates are made just fine to use Bit coal as it has the fingers to break up clinkers. And it has over the fire air dampers.

The grates on the AHS WC40..........I'm not so sure about those, and I saw no over the fire air dampers on the pics I was able to get.

Here are the pics I was able to access for the AHS wc40, is this what you saw? http://www.alternateheatingsystems.com/multi-fuel ... hotos.html

coalrunner

Post by coalrunner » Sat. Oct. 10, 2015 10:37 pm

Yes sir, that is the boiler I saw. The pictures really do it no justice when it comes to the size of the firebox. It's very large,and I believe under rated in the BTU value. The draft on it is controlled automatically. There is a switch for when you are using coal,or wood. It will either open the flap on the door,or the one on the side under the grates. The under the grate is a blower,but it can be had with out that. The grate is a triangle that totally spins around. It's definitely heavy duty,but there isn't all the air holes like there is in the ds,which was kind of my fear. Mike at ahs assured me that plenty of people burn bit in them and it burns it perfectly. The ds was definitely no slouch though. Heavy duty grates,and well built. The price I was quoted was awesome to say the least. Ahs is now building the Harman boilers too. They look great too but way over priced now

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Sat. Oct. 10, 2015 11:14 pm

coalrunner wrote:Yes sir, that is the boiler I saw. The pictures really do it no justice when it comes to the size of the firebox. It's very large,and I believe under rated in the BTU value. The draft on it is controlled automatically. There is a switch for when you are using coal,or wood. It will either open the flap on the door,or the one on the side under the grates. The under the grate is a blower,but it can be had with out that. The grate is a triangle that totally spins around. It's definitely heavy duty,but there isn't all the air holes like there is in the ds,which was kind of my fear. Mike at ahs assured me that plenty of people burn bit in them and it burns it perfectly. The ds was definitely no slouch though. Heavy duty grates,and well built. The price I was quoted was awesome to say the least. Ahs is now building the Harman boilers too. They look great too but way over priced now
I'm leery about the grates on the AHS. I've been burning Bit for a long time..........and it just doesn't look like a good design.

On the other hand, I would have no problem writing a check for the DS, I know those grates will work just fine for Bit coal.

coalrunner

Post by coalrunner » Sat. Oct. 10, 2015 11:33 pm

That's one of my sticking points on the wc40. I wish I could take the best if both boilers. The wc has water tubes ( four I think) and the exhaust gases are forced over them,and the firebox is very nice. Then the ds has the price advantage,and those fine grates. They were two inches thick!! I doubt I'd ever have an issue with the grates on that one. It's taller though which may hurt me. I have to do some serious measurement tonight. I know the wc 40 will fit right,but the ds will cut it close. Like I said,it's a tough decision,and one I need to get right.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers Using Anthracite”