Weight Loss Adventure

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Tue. Aug. 11, 2015 10:06 am

warminmn wrote:Glad you are losing weight for your efforts. I don't do it to lose weight, but snowshoes in the winter are a great workout. Start slow as the hips and knees get a real workout. Ive done a little skiing and much prefer the shoes. Those aluminum ones they sell are cheaper and pretty tough. Just don't wear them when you have winter lightning like I accidently had happen :lol: I love mine for trimming trees and bushes when the snow gets real deep.

Keep up the good work!
Thanks bud, I see many seconds hand ones for sale at thrift stores and yard sales. Some folks think the old wooden ones are made of gold! :roll:

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Tue. Aug. 11, 2015 10:37 am

oros35 wrote:Fell off the boat a little this week. But net was 0. Now to get back to the loosing side.
Mine and the wife's work routines are changing back to more normal, need to find a system that works right. I'm back in the plant working, which is good, no cafeteria/going out, only eat what you bring in. She is back to work at the school after summer break. It's easy to jump back to the regular routine, which wasn't working before!
Thanks for the update oros35, in the last 2 months I have noticed a few results when eating and drinking certain foods. First, when I drink diet soda and eat foods with white flour I feel like *censored* for hours, tired and forgetful and can't concentrate. I kind of gave up cow's milk and have been drinking almond milk, (not soy milk) I am a cook and giving up sweets was tough at first but noticed when I indulge my weekly results suffer...even the slightest! Exorcise has been my biggest helper, I can't jog like a young buck due to foot surgery 2 yrs ago but walking and working every day has been great for my cardio and overall feeling. I walk a mile to work 3 days a week and the last quarter mile is about a 100 ft rise in elevation and I can do it without stopping in 19 minutes, so another goal is to cut the time down. Small goals add up so keep with it my friend :)

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Tue. Aug. 25, 2015 5:43 pm

I missed the update last week end and this week as life got in the way, (work etc.)

2 weeks ago 255 lbs.
this morning 248.5 lbs.
net 6.5 lbs.
gross 32.5 lbs in approx 4 months, I'm not starving but eating much better and exorcising, (power walking), as much as possible.

The Mrs. wants to join a gym with me so that will be added support.

edit: I've substituted water for all soda ;)

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Tue. Aug. 25, 2015 6:04 pm

I would say you are losing too fast, but the key words are when you say you are not starving. Losing is not the major goal, which is a new life style that you are comfortable with that maintains a healthy weight.

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Tue. Aug. 25, 2015 6:25 pm

franco b wrote:I would say you are losing too fast, but the key words are when you say you are not starving. Losing is not the major goal, which is a new life style that you are comfortable with that maintains a healthy weight.

Much of the weight is melting off due to working in a hot kitchen 3 to 4 nights a week. My replacement of soda with approx 1 to 1 and a half gallons of water a day is showing more energy and better feeling at the end of the shift, I have even stopped the giant daily iced coffee which I love. The gym membership starts in 6 weeks when one job ends, that will also see results..

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Tue. Aug. 25, 2015 6:55 pm

ma, I'm very happy for you,keep up the good work & losing the weight....... healthier times ahead :clap: :up: I finally managed to get mine under 180 again :D

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Tue. Aug. 25, 2015 9:34 pm

Yo Mikey :verycool:

Awesome news my goomba!!!!

Keep up the good work :D

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Tue. Aug. 25, 2015 9:53 pm

You are doing great Mike. :up:

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Wed. Oct. 07, 2015 9:03 pm

Over a full month has passed with no updates from anyone ??? No monumental achievement for me,hit low of 178#,holding under 180# most of the time. Kidney health is back to near normal,hoping to keep it that way through the winter. Last 2 winters my kidney function always dropped drastically low,resulting in lousy energy level,lousy feeling overall.Just checking in on you guys,don't want you to slip up now when the holidays are getting close.It will be hard enough to make it thru Thanksging & Christmas without weight gain. :)

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Thu. Oct. 08, 2015 9:13 am

windyhill4.2 wrote:Over a full month has passed with no updates from anyone ??? No monumental achievement for me,hit low of 178#,holding under 180# most of the time. Kidney health is back to near normal,hoping to keep it that way through the winter. Last 2 winters my kidney function always dropped drastically low,resulting in lousy energy level,lousy feeling overall.Just checking in on you guys,don't want you to slip up now when the holidays are getting close.It will be hard enough to make it thru Thanksging & Christmas without weight gain. :)
Sorry for the lax in updates fellas' I'm holding steady at 247-248. Next week I will be down to working 3, 12's and have 4 days off, and then I join the fitness center, (free if I go 8 times/month). I will be building a deck/porch for a co-worker before I go to "PUMP YOU UP!" :lol:

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Thu. Oct. 08, 2015 9:16 am

Thanks for the update. :)

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Sun. Oct. 11, 2015 12:01 am

The US Dept of Agriculture has several excellent web site to help us understand nutrition and diet. In the past the food pyramid triangle was the guide for what we should eat to be healthy. Now it's changed to a "choose my plate" graphic. Take a look at:

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/

Be sure to check out the other links at the bottom of the page. The "supertracker" link is especially useful for someone on a diet.

The "Food-A-Pedia" is also quite useful. You can find the nutritional value of foods and compare any two. Especially useful when trying to decide between several foods. Ideally you would pick the healthier one with fewer calories.

The USDA info represents the best scientific info available. Since it's not a commercial web site pushing some product or diet plan it's info is more objective than other.

OK now for a little teaser... What's the difference between a food calorie and a physics calorie? A physics calorie is the amount of energy need to raise 1 gram of water 1 deg C. What the hell does this have to do with food? I'll let a few post some guesses or opinions. I was curious and found the answer. Along the way, I was surprised how many registered nutritionist I asked didn't know. To be fair the answer was in their first year text book that they misplaced or long ago forgot about.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Oct. 11, 2015 3:32 am

OK yanche, I except your challenge, I'll take a stab at it. This is just a guess on what a calorie means to me. A calorie is a unit of energy, like a btu. When we eat food, that energy is broken down into more basic forms like sugars and proteins, so it can be used. If we intake more energy than our body needs, it gets converted into stored energy (mainly fat) so that if we run a deficit our body can use energy from it's storage.

As for the difference, I don't know lol.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Oct. 11, 2015 7:00 am

The difference is a factor of 1,000. Food calories are actually kilocalories.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Sun. Oct. 11, 2015 9:07 am

I have continued to loose slowly also, but this comment caught my eye.
my kidney function always dropped drastically low,resulting in lousy energy level,lousy feeling overall.
Do you have a known kidney disorder? If so, what? I have been having the same problem at times. Just finished up a sleep study, have been tested to hell and back, sugar is a little high but overall health is fantastic. Never know what you can pick up on from others problems.....

Kevin

Return to “Health”