Keystoker K6 Jacket Mismatch?

Jrhughes
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker K6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: US-National 27 Series All Fuel Hot Water/Steam

Post by Jrhughes » Sun. Nov. 22, 2015 9:47 am

I am very new to coal burning and boilers in general. We bought a 150 year old house with a beautiful hot water radiator system and I got the old shaker boiler up and running. It's fine and workable but the draft flap door (?) on the back is broken so I have to control temp all manually and it's a real time sucker.

So I recently purchased a K6 on Craigslist to add in series with the shaker. I figure the shaker is at least simple: make fire have heat, and I worry about mechanical failure mid-winter on the K6 with it being used. I am very nervous about making an error in installation and this may be me making something out of nothing, but although it seems to be in excellent condition, when I got to installing the stack end of the jacket, there are two large top holes, one of which seems superfluous. The other fits perfectly over the domestic hot water set up, but I'm concerned about the extra hole. Is this not the correct jacket? As long as the jacket does have access everywhere necessary does the extra hole matter? Should I put the insulation right across the hole and leave it? Will the metal be hot if not covered by insulation?

Sorry to clutter the board with such newbie questions but we could only get one plumber of 7 in the area to even give an estimate on install and it was 2500 bucks with me providing all of the parts and materials on top. I just don't have that especially not for something I am fairly certain I can do myself with just a bit more clarification. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Nov. 22, 2015 9:54 am

I think on Keystokers you can get the DHW coil on either side. They would very likely make the jacket with two punch outs. The installer would then punch out the appropriate one. I guess they got it wrong the first time on yours!

It's not a big deal, just cover the hole with insulation. This is a boiler so the hottest that metal is going to get is about 200 degrees. The insulation is there to keep the heat in the water instead of your basement.

So, do you have this plumbed in yet? Any pictures???

We love pictures!

-Don

Jrhughes
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker K6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: US-National 27 Series All Fuel Hot Water/Steam

Post by Jrhughes » Sun. Nov. 22, 2015 6:44 pm

Thanks! I will post pics but please keep in mind our home was entirely gutted and all of our copper and wiring stolen while we were away for work. We got back just in time for cold weather and our motto has been "Functional now, pretty later." So it's probably pretty ugly, but my big concern is whether it works and is safe. :D

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”