Timer Location on a Keystoker A60

cntbill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: EFM AF-150
Baseburners & Antiques: Radiant Gem 22 & Queen Bengal both by Floyd, Wells Co.
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Buck - Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Fireplace

Post by cntbill » Sun. Nov. 22, 2015 1:57 am

My latest project is almost done, but I'm not to sure where the best location for the timer would be, or if it really matters and just an user aesthetic/function choice.

I'm not that thrilled with the "as purchased" location which was about 2 1/2" from the fire door opening, I think it had originally the stack switch like my A70 and someone switched it over to a timer and that happened to be a convenient place. While I think it would be ok located by the fire door I am wondering if that location might be just a little too hot for it. I know on my A70 I can place my hand on that location without any fear, but what about when the door is opened?
I was thinking of maybe putting the timer on the hopper and using BX to run to the control box, but then the BX would end up being above the door and maybe that's not so hot of an idea either. I looked at a few pictures that I can find of various Keystoker boilers and furnaces and notice that some have the timer close to the door as well.... Any thoughts welcome.

Bill...

Below is a couple of as purchased before photos showing the timer location and (still a bit to go) present.
DSCF5627.jpg

Current

.JPG | 192.4KB | DSCF5627.jpg
DSCF5581.jpg

Original condition

.JPG | 211.8KB | DSCF5581.jpg
DSCF5582.jpg

Original condition 2

.JPG | 142.1KB | DSCF5582.jpg

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Nov. 22, 2015 8:25 am

Adding a new longer length of MC (BX) could allow remote location even over on a wall. :idea:
Note: MC cable temp rating is 90*C

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Nov. 22, 2015 9:38 am

I'm with McGiever on this one. I have never though it was a good idea to mount any controls on the unit. That only makes life easy for the install. If you need to work on something and you have to remove the controls first, it becomes more difficult. Plus with a hot air furnace, it's not good for the controls as they may see high temps.

I vote for mounting on a wall.

-Don

cntbill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: EFM AF-150
Baseburners & Antiques: Radiant Gem 22 & Queen Bengal both by Floyd, Wells Co.
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Buck - Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Fireplace

Post by cntbill » Sun. Nov. 22, 2015 10:04 pm

Yes, the wall sounds like a good idea, never gave that much thought as so many of the stoves I've seen had the various controls all attached to the stoves. And yes don't need to clutter the stove any more than necessary making simple tasks a pain and it's not like I'm going to be moving it around. Oh, and one other thing, I didn't paint the timer so it don't match anyways...

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”