Limiting Heat in Split Zone. Themostatic Valve?

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Nov. 23, 2015 7:28 pm

At my Grandmothers there is two zones, one for each side of the house, it's double block. Each zone splits for the upstairs and downstairs.

I want too limit the heat upstairs, I don't need anything on demand. Low cost and least involved as possible.

Something like this but this only says it's good for 10PSI. Would something like this work? Suggestions?

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Danfoss-013G8019-3-4-A ... HwodhN4JbA

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Nov. 23, 2015 7:36 pm

dbsuz05
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham 23"

Post by dbsuz05 » Mon. Nov. 23, 2015 8:04 pm

Yep the Thermostatic radiator valves work great for limiting flow. I use two at my house.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Nov. 24, 2015 6:07 am

That's what I'm figuring, never seen them in use before. No one goes into these rooms so I don't really need anything precise. Just enough so the pipes don't freeze. She likes to keep it like 75 and it's usually warmer upstairs than downstairs. It's just a big waste of money.

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Tue. Nov. 24, 2015 7:48 am

Do those require a bypass at each radiator or do the radiators already have those?

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Nov. 24, 2015 8:43 am

AFAIK they are basically a zone valve except they don't use electric. There is actuator that goes on top of it that somehow uses a vacuum to open and close the valve based on the room temperature. They have different ones but these are installed inline in the loop inside the living space. The actuator has a simple dial on it with numbers that are equivalent to temperature ranges.

There is two zones in her house, one for each side of the house because it's a double block. Each zone splits after the pump for the upstairs and downstairs. There is no way to control the heat independently for the upstairs but since it has it's own loop I can limit it.

For what I need to do it's apparently perfect but I'm not familiar with them so I figured I better get some opinions.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Nov. 28, 2015 8:23 am

Local plumbing supply places didn't have them, the one guy didn't even know what I was talking about and he had to call the big boss who did know what I was taking about.

Anyhow ordered two of these valves and two actuators. Should be here Tuesday.

They have a cheaper actuator but since these will going inside the baseboard covers you're supposed to have something with remote sensor.

Gram was a little concerned, "What do you know about gas?" ;) I'll let you know how it works out.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Nov. 28, 2015 1:05 pm

I have always been curious about these...looking forward to some pictures of your install and the results.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Nov. 28, 2015 1:26 pm

Is your grandmother's house heated via steam or hot water? I believe the valves and actuators you purchased will work with either, but I'm just curious.

I would also like to see photos and hear the follow-up on this.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Nov. 28, 2015 2:08 pm

lsayre wrote:Is your grandmother's house heated via steam or hot water? I believe the valves and actuators you purchased will work with either, but I'm just curious.
It's hot water Larry. the only downside is they apparently can't be set to some precise temperature. This one looks like 6 settings, 43 to 75 with 3 or 4 degrees between each increment. I'm interested in the 54 to 60 range. Doesn't make much difference here because it will be the next guys problem once she's gone. A thermostat controls the space where she living so that's all that really matters. No one goes upstairs for any reason really. I was a tempted to put on a ball valve and turn it half off.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Nov. 28, 2015 2:31 pm

Richard S. wrote:No one goes upstairs for any reason really. I was a tempted to put on a ball valve and turn it half off.
My grandfather did just that...and froze about 30' of cast iron baseboard in the upstairs on a bitter cold night. You are taking the right approach by controlling the space to 55 or so.

The system is piped so that you can limit flow to the upstairs without impacting the first floor?

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Nov. 28, 2015 2:40 pm

Rob R. wrote:
My grandfather did just that...and froze about 30' of cast iron baseboard in the upstairs on a bitter cold night.

That was the concern and have already heard about not freezing pipes about 20 times. If they freeze I'll never hear the end of it. :lol: If I wa here all the time I might of done it.
The system is piped so that you can limit flow to the upstairs without impacting the first floor?
It's a double block, there is pump and thermostat downstairs for each side of the house. The water splits from 1 1/4 to two 3/4 pipes for upstairs and downstairs. It works, that is all I know. These valves will be going upstairs to limit that part of the loop.

dbsuz05
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham 23"

Post by dbsuz05 » Sat. Nov. 28, 2015 3:06 pm

Here is a TRV valve I installed to limit from getting too much heat. Works great!

Attachments

rad.JPG
.JPG | 148.4KB | rad.JPG

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Dec. 04, 2015 7:00 pm

Have them in and Gram does not have to go to motel tonight. :P This is what she says to me as if she doesn't have 20 different households to go too.

Here is how they came in the box. The pin on the top when depressed closes the valve, it's actually pretty hard to close by depressing it with your finger. It's fully open without anything on it, the white nob came with them and will allow you too operate the valve manually. It simply unscrews off the top.

Sorry pictures are a little blurry.
100_1961.JPG
.JPG | 52.4KB | 100_1961.JPG
Removed the valve cartridge as instructed for installation and I would have done it anyway. ;)
100_1962.JPG
.JPG | 51.6KB | 100_1962.JPG
The actuator simply screws onto the top. You adjust the temperature by turning it left or right, the lowest setting it 43 degrees and the highest is 79. The red button is just a stop for 68, you need to push it in to go beyond that point. Didn't take it apart but you can and have too to calibrate it, there is spring inside presumably to counteract the valve spring. Not sure what is in the bulb but apparently it allows the valve to open and close.

These were pretty expensive, $50. The one pictured above in the previous post is $20. I might have been able to get away with it but you don't want the radiation influencing it. Matter of fact that one is installed wrong, it should be horizontal. :P
100_1963.JPG
.JPG | 61.2KB | 100_1963.JPG
Here it is installed, very easy install.... In the instructions they have the bulb mounted below the radiation but I think I'm going to mount it on the wall just to the side of it. I have it sitting on a picture frame here so it's not conducting any heat/cold off the floor, going to see what happens overnight. The only real problem is once I get the cover on the radiation you're not going to be able to see the set points. I 'll have to mark it with the magic marker or something.

Got this done about 2 and took a nap. They seem to be working so far, the pipes going upstairs are exposed so when there is call for heat I can feel them. The upstairs temperature really hasn't had a chance to drop yet. I have one of those outside thermometers upstairs on her side, it's down to about 68, she usually has it set around 74. :lol:

Update in the morning.

Attachments

100_1964.JPG
.JPG | 80.1KB | 100_1964.JPG

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Dec. 05, 2015 9:34 am

It was down to about 63 last night at about 2AM. Down to 59 degrees now, this is higher than what I have it set at. Appears they are opening because I could feel some warmth on the feed pipe but the return pipe was cold. Presumably it has opened a little. Going to have to see what happens through the day and tonight.

One of the troubles here is I don't know how much heat is making it's way upstairs from the downstairs. There is a small hallway at the top of the steps and doors for each room. Going to have to be here for the first really cold weather.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”