Chimney Size

grassman

Post by grassman » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 7:52 pm

We have an EFM520 stoker and have a chimney question. Our chimney is brick and unlined that is original to the house,1860's. It is approximately 35' high and is on the interior of the house. The problem is I had a brick fall from the inside and landed below the flue pipe. I had an inspection from 2 contractors and was told to line it. The inside dimension of the chimney is 8 1/4" and was told an 8" liner might not fit and recommend a 7" liner. Is this going to be a problem going from 8" pipe from the back of the stoker to 7"? The other contractor wouldn't even quote it because he wasn't sure if that would work with the stoker. I really don't want to start the heating season like this so I have to make a decision very soon. The cost to do the 7" liner, insulate around the liner and other stuff to meet code is 5100.00. Any advice if the smaller liner diameter would work is appreciated. Thanks Matt

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 8:02 pm

Matt retired mason here .You should be able to build a block chimney and with flue pipe for less money .

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 8:05 pm

I ment to say by a mason contr .Like any home improvement get 2 or 3 estimates .With this hanging on recession lot of masons are not working .Start with a brick supply house for info .

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 8:09 pm

There is nothing wrong with using an unlined brick chimney,especially with coal. Your chimneys inside size is what EFM calls for.All you need with coal gases is a sealed chimney,if there is a brick missing,you should be able to see where it came out & replace it.

grassman

Post by grassman » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 8:20 pm

The brick came from the inside of the chimney and can't see where. Are you talking about a block chimney on the outside of the house? Thank you for the quick replies. Matt

Clousseau
Stoker Coal Boiler: KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice Coal

Post by Clousseau » Fri. Nov. 27, 2015 8:35 am

You should never burn solid fuel in an unlined chimney. Most state Building Codes will tell you that.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Nov. 27, 2015 8:52 am

DO NOT let someone scam you into a SS chimney liner period! If that's what you are talking about. The SS liners don't last very long. 5 to 20 years, depending.

Heating season has already started. You should be able to use the chimney as is for this season. Unless bricks are falling out every day. Next Summer, get three estimates from three different masons to repair the chimney and install a clay liner. A properly done masonry repair should last another 100 years.

-Don

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Nov. 27, 2015 9:15 am

Clousseau wrote:You should never burn solid fuel in an unlined chimney. Most state Building Codes will tell you that.
Lots of old houses had & still have unlined chimneys. The only danger with an unlined is creosote build up from burning wood. Coal has no creosote to worry about. We burned wood in unlined cinder block chimney as well as unlined brick chimney & only ever had 1 chimney fire in the cinder block chimney.I opened the clean-out door,shot a fire extinguisher in thru the open door & the fire was out. The chimney was cleaner & suffered no cracking as clay tile would be prone to do under the same circumstances. If building a new chimney ,it only makes sense to put a clay liner in at build time.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Nov. 27, 2015 9:32 am

Most chimneys seem to deteriorate from the top down. Perhaps yours just needs to be rebuilt from the roofline up.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Nov. 27, 2015 11:53 am

Rob R. wrote:Most chimneys seem to deteriorate from the top down. Perhaps yours just needs to be rebuilt from the roofline up.
This was the case with mine. I only needed to replace the top 2 courses of cinder block and flue tile. Did it myself during a nice summer day. :)

Doby
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast console and Alaska Channing III
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: oil but not much

Post by Doby » Fri. Nov. 27, 2015 1:45 pm

Rob R. wrote:Most chimneys seem to deteriorate from the top down. Perhaps yours just needs to be rebuilt from the roofline up.
Yep and chances are the top is where the brick came from

grassman

Post by grassman » Fri. Nov. 27, 2015 8:28 pm

Only one brick has fallen and we are probably going to use it as is for this season. This was my parents house and where I grew up so I do know the history. my dad had the chimney redone fro the roof line up about 25 years ago and that section only has a clay liner. The 2 prices I received are for SS liners because I was told when a chimney is repaired it has to be brought up to code and a SS liner is the only way to go. It sounds cookie cutter to me and I don't like the idea of it is the only way to go. My gut feeling tells me the brick fell at the top just below the rebuilt part. Thanks Matt

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Nov. 27, 2015 10:09 pm

Surely a camera lowered down the chimney would reveal just where the brick is missing,if just below the repaired area,it should be accessible from the attic area.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Nov. 27, 2015 10:44 pm

Hmm, code says you gota have a stainless liner now in this here modern era. :gee:

Somebody best put down the crack pipe and stand back away from the chimney. :flush:

Clousseau
Stoker Coal Boiler: KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice Coal

Post by Clousseau » Sat. Nov. 28, 2015 9:00 am

I agree with McGiver. Be very careful about burning in a damaged chimney, even if it was a brick coming off from the top. Your family's safety is priority #1. I know that coal does not creosote a chimney, but it is still considered a solid fuel in the Building Code & will be treated as such by your local inspector. Your insurance company is a totally different issue; if the heating device installed was never inspected, which I assume it was not because of the unlined chimney, and a house fire started because of the unlined chimney & no inspection of the installed solid fuel heating device, will they pay the claim? Be careful!

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”