Geneva Andes 517 W/ Double Heater Feature Stove Restoration

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Tue. Nov. 24, 2015 9:18 pm

SWPaDon wrote:Thanks, Randy.
No problem. One of the other benefits to browning down first, it does not shrink as much in the jars because it is pre cooked.

Randy

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Nov. 24, 2015 9:41 pm

Thanks Randy,

Other than no need to thaw it out, whats the advantage to canning the venison verses just freezing it ?

Paul

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Tue. Nov. 24, 2015 10:04 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:Thanks Randy,

Other than no need to thaw it out, whats the advantage to canning the venison verses just freezing it ?

Paul
After 6 to 8 months in a freezer, meat gets and 'old' taste. This happens just before the freezer burn stage. Canned meat will keep for years.

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's

Post by Photog200 » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 7:46 am

SWPaDon wrote:
Sunny Boy wrote:Thanks Randy,

Paul
After 6 to 8 months in a freezer, meat gets and 'old' taste. This happens just before the freezer burn stage. Canned meat will keep for years.
It is also pre cooked, for a quick meal, just throw in a pot with vegetables and it only takes as long as to cook them. I usually can the toughest cuts because after 90 minutes in the pressure canner it comes out really tender. Another benefit of canning is it sits on a shelf and not take up space in the freezer. One more benefit, if you loose power you don't have to worry about that meat spoiling because the freeze is off.

The meat I do freeze, I put in vacuum sealed bags to that tends to keep the meat longer.

Randy

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 8:40 am

Photog200 wrote: It is also pre cooked, for a quick meal, just throw in a pot with vegetables and it only takes as long as to cook them. I usually can the toughest cuts because after 90 minutes in the pressure canner it comes out really tender. Another benefit of canning is it sits on a shelf and not take up space in the freezer. One more benefit, if you loose power you don't have to worry about that meat spoiling because the freeze is off.

The meat I do freeze, I put in vacuum sealed bags to that tends to keep the meat longer.

Randy
It's really good straight out of the jar for sandwiches also :up:

deepwoods
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & DS Machine Newstyle Champion
Coal Size/Type: nut (so far)
Other Heating: Ruud propane forced air system

Post by deepwoods » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 10:53 am

Randy, I forgot New York deer season starts a week earlier than Pa. This state has really messed it up at least for my area. Season and bag limits for deer are crazy. Archery lasts about 2 months. One month ahead of rifle season and a month after. Now they can even use crossbows with scopes, but the muzzleloaders are still stuck with flintlock and iron sights......go figure! Deer population is down by way more than half from 10 years ago.
All of the small farms have been bought up by "downstaters", posted and jealously guarded during deer season especially. I have not taken a deer in at least 8 years but I bought a straight buck license this year. going to give it a try. There is one other hunting option and that is to pay $250 for rights to one year on one of the large timber co. leases. I would rather spend it on my coal stove :D
Canning Venison is the way I prepped my deer for many years. Cant beat it. Pre-cooked, tender and flavorfull. Keeps a long time too. I only freeze the tenderloins because we use them rather quickly. You're right in that canned foods are power outage free.
Pics are of our old National pressure canner. Bottom date code says it is a 1946. Passed to me by my Mom.
Enjoy you freshly harvested game treat :D

Attachments

IMG_1182.JPG
.JPG | 114.6KB | IMG_1182.JPG
IMG_1185.JPG
.JPG | 100.4KB | IMG_1185.JPG

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 11:12 am

deepwoods wrote:Randy, I forgot New York deer season starts a week earlier than Pa. This state has really messed it up at least for my area. Season and bag limits for deer are crazy. Archery lasts about 2 months. One month ahead of rifle season and a month after. Now they can even use crossbows with scopes, but the muzzleloaders are still stuck with flintlock and iron sights......go figure! Deer population is down by way more than half from 10 years ago.
All of the small farms have been bought up by "downstaters", posted and jealously guarded during deer season especially. I have not taken a deer in at least 8 years but I bought a straight buck license this year. going to give it a try. There is one other hunting option and that is to pay $250 for rights to one year on one of the large timber co. leases. I would rather spend it on my coal stove :D
Canning Venison is the way I prepped my deer for many years. Cant beat it. Pre-cooked, tender and flavorfull. Keeps a long time too. I only freeze the tenderloins because we use them rather quickly. You're right in that canned foods are power outage free.
Pics are of our old National pressure canner. Bottom date code says it is a 1946. Passed to me by my Mom.
Enjoy you freshly harvested game treat :D
Good luck in getting one this year! I cannot tell a lie, I was not the one who shot the deer. A friend of mine got it and his family won't eat venison, he asked me if I wanted it. Hell yes! I have not hunted in a couple of years but am hoping to find a new hunting spot soon.

My canner is just a couple years old, I bought a All American canner. I liked the fact there is no rubber seal on this kind. It is machined aluminum around the seal.

Randy

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 12:17 pm

Before I got ex-communicated from the site, I figured I had better post a photo of the new grates. :D The four on the left are the original ones.
They are going to need some cleaning up but not nearly as bad as the last grate I got back from them.

Randy

Attachments

coal grates-0832.jpg
.JPG | 142.2KB | coal grates-0832.jpg

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 8:44 pm

Looks like you're set for quite a few years, with an array like that Randy.

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 8:55 pm

joeq wrote:Looks like you're set for quite a few years, with an array like that Randy.
I will keep the originals in case I ever need them for the Andes in the house. I will probably try to sell the stove I am restoring now, the new grates will go in that stove.

Randy

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 9:19 pm

Hay Randy, do you just can in your pressure cooker or do you cook in it too? I've been looking at getting at the 15 1/2 Qt one but I need it to do both.

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 9:29 pm

Keepaeyeonit wrote:Hay Randy, do you just can in your pressure cooker or do you cook in it too? I've been looking at getting at the 15 1/2 Qt one but I need it to do both.
I've cooked in my 23 quart pressure canner. It will reduce pork bones to mush at 15 lbs. for 40 minutes. I have 2 Presto 23 quart canners and 1 Mirro 22 Quart.

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 10:38 pm

Keepaeyeonit wrote:Hay Randy, do you just can in your pressure cooker or do you cook in it too? I've been looking at getting at the 15 1/2 Qt one but I need it to do both.
I have a smaller one that I use in the house for cooking in it. I have not used the big one for anything but canning so far. I guess if I have some large batch of something, I would use it. I forget which size I got for the big one, I can do 7 quart jars at a time.

Randy

Edit: I just went out and checked, I do have the 15.5 quart pressure canner. I almost bought the next size larger but glad I didn't. Since I do most of my canning on the cooking range, you have to move the canner around on the stove to get the right spot to keep the canner at the right temps. When full, that sucker is heavy!

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Thu. Dec. 10, 2015 9:06 pm

Well after some orders of machine screws and nuts from the blacksmith supply house and not getting the right stuff I wanted (twice, even after calling and telling them what I wanted), I ordered from Grainger. My order came today so I started to put stuff together. I got the bolt head and the grates painted and started to put the stove together. I got the grates installed and the base put together and then put the fire pot on it. I was careful to get the stove cement in as cleanly as I could. I even did more cleaning after I took the photos. I called it an evening when I heard a beer calling my name in the fridge.

Randy

Attachments

Andes-0849.jpg
.JPG | 108KB | Andes-0849.jpg
Andes-0850.jpg
.JPG | 112.1KB | Andes-0850.jpg
Andes-0851.jpg
.JPG | 114.3KB | Andes-0851.jpg
Andes-0853.jpg
.JPG | 110.5KB | Andes-0853.jpg

Photog200

Post by Photog200 » Thu. Dec. 10, 2015 9:10 pm

I forgot to post that the grates fit perfectly from Tomahawk. Once I got them cleaned up and ground so that I could get the gears to go on, the size was perfect. I am glad I took the time to add the Bondo and paint to the originals. Thanks for the info on that Paul.

Randy

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”