Looky Looky!!! Saturday Hours Start Lehigh

stovepipemike

Post by stovepipemike » Fri. Oct. 23, 2015 8:21 am

I found something to be mindful of when loading with a high chute is the bouncing and flying stray coal hitting my truck when the trailer is getting loaded. Don't like that, and it is hard to control when the stuff drops from 10-12 feet up. Yeah, it is an old truck but I can't afford another so everything matters. Mike

Protrucker
Stoker Coal Boiler: in the future....when home renovation is done. (radiant floor)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pocono, Keystoker & Leisure Line Li'l Heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning #523, Coal Chubby, Floral Gem #519 & one other Warm Morning stove
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut & Rice
Other Heating: Propane fired forced hot air

Post by Protrucker » Fri. Oct. 23, 2015 10:38 am

I used to lay a tarp over the back of the cab while loading to protect it from the bouncing pieces.

coalusermd
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS1600
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anthracite
Other Heating: Geothermal

Post by coalusermd » Sat. Oct. 24, 2015 10:29 pm

JeepinPete wrote:Lehigh probably isn't the place to go to load those bags. Direnzo on the other hand has a loading shed with overhead chutes that might get it done. Good coal, but it is more than Lehigh.
Thanks I will give them a call see if they think they can load the bulk bags. I emailed Lehigh about filling the bulk bags no response.

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Thu. Nov. 05, 2015 5:32 pm

I'm headed up Saturday morning to pick up 3tons. Looking forward to seeing the operation. I will post my experience upon return.

Protrucker
Stoker Coal Boiler: in the future....when home renovation is done. (radiant floor)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pocono, Keystoker & Leisure Line Li'l Heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning #523, Coal Chubby, Floral Gem #519 & one other Warm Morning stove

Post by Protrucker » Sat. Nov. 07, 2015 6:52 am

I'm going to be headed there in about an hour to get three tons, myself. I hope to be there before 10:00. I was going to try to make two trips today, but had too much to do to get ready for it. If everything goes good, I'll get my second load next Saturday.

Protrucker

Post by Protrucker » Sun. Nov. 08, 2015 8:29 am

Well, it took longer than I wanted to get out of here yesterday. We got to Lehigh around 1:00, but they weren't that busy. The only wait I had was, I had to wait for one dump truck to pull off the scale. The people there were very friendly & we were loaded, tarped & out of there in less than a half hour.

The only problem, if you want to call it that, was when I stopped before I pulled onto the scale on the way out. It's an uphill grade to pull on the scale & my rear tires broke loose when I tried to start moving. I had to lock in the four wheel drive to get moving. Then, the girl at the scalehouse was concerned & told me that I had almost three tons (2.98 tons or 5960 pounds) on the trailer. When I asked, "Is that all?" she still seemed concerned. I had to assure that it wasn't too much weight & that I had put four tons on the trailer before. It's a 10K trailer.

I think next load, I'm going to have the loader put a half a bucket in the box of my truck to give me a little more weight on my drive tires.

We got home & I had the three tons shoveled off in about an hour.
Ready to head back for another load next Saturday.

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Sun. Nov. 08, 2015 11:23 am

Protrucker, I had a similar experience. The trip was much easier than I was expecting. Since it was my first trip I was unsure what to expect, but the staff there were very friendly and understanding of the Noob. I'm sure it was. But of a transition for them taking on retail sales but they are doing a great job and I hope they keep it up. I made two trips yesterday 3tons on the first trip and 2 tons on the second trip.

The scale out was a bit challenging as the up slope at the scale made traction iffy. I had to nurse the throttle as to not break traction getting on to the scale. My return trip I made sure to put in 4wd so I wouldn't have the same issue.

Overall if anyone was questioning making the trip, just do it, it's super easy. I will be back next year for sure.

cntbill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: EFM AF-150
Baseburners & Antiques: Radiant Gem 22 & Queen Bengal both by Floyd, Wells Co.
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Buck - Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Fireplace

Post by cntbill » Sun. Nov. 22, 2015 2:34 am

Went there today around 10am, 1st time, pleasant experience all around. Even though my card had an issue as their reader and my card didn't get along but the guy was very helpful and patience with me and I just ended up using a different one. I just got a pickup load 2460lbs and was in and out in about an half hour, would have been quicker if it wasn't for my card. No real wait at the scale or loading even though there seemed to be a constant flow of vehicles.

Just a note they will be closed this coming Saturday. 11/28 for the holiday.

Thanks McGiever for the heads up ! :)

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Nov. 22, 2015 8:16 am

:)

Razzler
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Razzler » Sun. Nov. 22, 2015 11:23 am

hi cntbill

did you happen to see a guy with a black chevy pickup and a black trailer with a broken arm? ;)

cntbill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: EFM AF-150
Baseburners & Antiques: Radiant Gem 22 & Queen Bengal both by Floyd, Wells Co.
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Buck - Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Fireplace

Post by cntbill » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 9:44 pm

Razzler wrote:hi cntbill

did you happen to see a guy with a black chevy pickup and a black trailer with a broken arm? ;)
Yes I did, got coal right after I did.... Hmmmm was that you?? :o

Razzler
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Razzler » Thu. Nov. 26, 2015 10:29 am

yes it was. small world aaaa. ;)

coalmaster
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: hitzer 50-93 2800sqft
Coal Size/Type: nut anthricite

Post by coalmaster » Thu. Dec. 17, 2015 10:05 pm

First post here. It seems lehigh is adding a new but small bagging plant into the existing retail coal shed. Just thought I'd share what I know.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Fri. Dec. 18, 2015 6:49 am

Great news!

bernincoal
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Hyfire II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by bernincoal » Sat. Dec. 19, 2015 10:33 am

coalmaster wrote:First post here. It seems lehigh is adding a new but small bagging plant into the existing retail coal shed. Just thought I'd share what I know.
Bagged coal! Hope they'll tell us when it's ready and price.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”