Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 5:27 pm

You wanted the fire to go out ??

wildwood
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Northland DF-790 Multi-Fuel Boiler

Post by wildwood » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 5:59 pm

Lightning wrote:No no, don't waste it. Shake shake shake, get as much ash out as you can. Then push whats left up against the sides, clear a valley in the center best you can. Then build a kindling fire, or use charcoal to reignite.
Will do, thanks!

wildwood

Post by wildwood » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 6:05 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:You wanted the fire to go out ??
Well... I was gona caulk the fire bricks together today to better stabilize them sitting on the sides. Got the bricks to fit snug up against the side walls with the help of a 1" mason drill bit. But took for ever to cool down so never got around to that. But seems like every time I poke or stir the red hot coals it tends to dies out. How come?

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 8:45 pm

wildwood wrote: But seems like every time I poke or stir the red hot coals it tends to dies out. How come?
Probably because the bed depth is too shallow. Coal needs a compact burning mass to maintain enough heat. Each piece of coal radiates it heat to its neighbors. With a shallow bed you are on the edge of not maintaining enough heat and when you stir it disturbs the relationship of one piece to another. Nut coal should be at least 8 inches deep to not be so sensitive. Pea coal would be OK with 5 inches or even less.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 9:35 pm

Also, you don't "poke" a coal fire. You leave it alone until it's time to shake the ashes down.

-Don

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 9:40 pm

wildwood wrote:Question if I may... So I let the coal burn it's self out and this is what I found in the furnace.
image.jpeg
Can/should I just bank it all to the back and add a bucket of fresh coal on top of the bank and light up some wood? Or should I be cleaning this all out? Seems like a waste to me. I cracked open one of the pieces and there's good black coal in the nuggets. Suggestions welcome.
I don't understand, did you choke or starve the fire intentionally?

If it just quit on it's own then you have some internal mods to get done to do better at burning the coal to a powder/ash.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Thu. Nov. 26, 2015 9:20 am

his problem is still not having a deep enough bed, he's got fire brick laying down in there, that's only 4.5 inches, it should be at least double that. before you correct this you will have nothing but problems arise.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman

Post by StokerDon » Thu. Nov. 26, 2015 10:16 am

I think H. B. is right. More coal will make this boiler work much better.

An easy way to do this is, stack firebricks on top of the ones you already have in place. You can put some furnace cement on them to hold them in place against the boiler. This will give you 9" of firebrick. That should be plenty.

-Don

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Nov. 26, 2015 11:20 am

It's an error that most new coal burners make, but one that is easily remedied. Just one time, put 120 pounds in there and see how awesome it burns. That's all it will take :)

wildwood

Post by wildwood » Thu. Nov. 26, 2015 12:46 pm

Lightning wrote:It's an error that most new coal burners make, but one that is easily remedied. Just one time, put 120 pounds in there and see how awesome it burns. That's all it will take :)
120lbs!!! :shock: That's 3 x 40lbs bags! It'll fit for sure and burn for ever I bet. Also I'm having a problem with my shaker getting jammed but I feel that's also related to not having enough coal for a full bottom glow or burn. I'm getting nuggets jammed in there. Starting to feel that with coal its full load / full power or be disappointed a few hrs later. Once it's burning strong I should be able to close the bottom damper and let it idol, right?

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Thu. Nov. 26, 2015 1:30 pm

Yes your correct it will burn forever, but after 12 hours shake and tend it again, I would go every 12-14 hours till you get the hang of it, once it full, I would be supposed if u go though 25-30 pounds a day.. And yes once it's full and goin, it will idle down nicely.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Nov. 26, 2015 1:33 pm

Yes, it should idle a lot more stable with a thick coal bed, at least 8-9 inches deep all the way across. :)

About the shaker jamming, short choppy strokes, very short, that way a nugget can't get clearance to bind between the grates.

Good luck and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Thu. Nov. 26, 2015 2:11 pm

Once you get a full load in there, 80 to 120 pounds, your twice a day feedings will only be 20 to 30 pounds. Once the full load is going, it doesn't take much to keep it going. Most people light it once in the Fall and then let it go out in the Spring. You will be one of these people soon!

Happy Thanksgiving,

-Don

wildwood

Post by wildwood » Thu. Nov. 26, 2015 3:42 pm

Thanks guys, I'll let that all soak in and be looking at getting the furnace going full time soon. It's been warm up here and been shy about dumping so much in. Trying to save as much $ as I can.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Alex

wildwood

Post by wildwood » Sun. Nov. 29, 2015 11:00 am

Quick update. Expansion tank is in! Was pretty uneventful going in, spin off spin on. Burned some wood last night and the pressure was more tame given the temperature I got the boiler up to. Didn't go over 20psi. Seems like the new tank is doing its job. Glad I did it! Been a heat wave up here CT so still waiting to fire up some coal. Maybe next week. Gives me some more time to work on the fire bricks. Think I'll try and go with two rows on each side as suggested.
image.jpeg
.JPEG | 147.3KB | image.jpeg

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”