DS Machine Anthramax Hand Fed Coal Stove Review

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Mon. Nov. 23, 2015 6:47 am

Nice Glen, Question: Without going back and looking, have you ever burned in a D.S. Circulator? If so, how would you compare the two stoves? I'm still playing with my D.S. 1600. It performs completely different than my HITZERs . Two completely different stoves. 50-93 is quick to perform when needed ( A solid performer, with fan). D.S. Circulator is slow and steady. It takes a while, but there's a lot to say about how well it circulates in silence.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Nov. 23, 2015 8:39 pm

oliver power wrote:Nice Glen, Question: Without going back and looking, have you ever burned in a D.S. Circulator? If so, how would you compare the two stoves? I'm still playing with my D.S. 1600. It performs completely different than my HITZERs . Two completely different stoves. 50-93 is quick to perform when needed ( A solid performer, with fan). D.S. Circulator is slow and steady. It takes a while, but there's a lot to say about how well it circulates in silence.
does this mean you are having better luck with the DS 1600 Circ.'s high end out put ?

jremington
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: DS Machines. Keystoker
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: DS Machines Aqua Gem
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Koker 160
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Anthra Glo
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Anthramax Comfort Max
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: DS Kozy King
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Rice and Stove
Other Heating: Gas and pellet stoves

Post by jremington » Mon. Nov. 23, 2015 10:02 pm

Yesterday morning my bosses son put forty pounds into his 1600, opened the ash door to get it going and went outside and forgot about it. One of the other kids came down about a half hour later and the top was beginning to glow. I looked at it today and couldn't see any worpage.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Mon. Nov. 23, 2015 10:29 pm

KingCoal wrote:
oliver power wrote:Nice Glen, Question: Without going back and looking, have you ever burned in a D.S. Circulator? If so, how would you compare the two stoves? I'm still playing with my D.S. 1600. It performs completely different than my HITZERs . Two completely different stoves. 50-93 is quick to perform when needed ( A solid performer, with fan). D.S. Circulator is slow and steady. It takes a while, but there's a lot to say about how well it circulates in silence.
does this mean you are having better luck with the DS 1600 Circ.'s high end out put ?
I'm getting there...........The one thing that did make quite a difference was permanently sealing off the the barometric damper. Both you, and Freetown Fred said "Get Rid Of That Barometric Damper". So I did....... I can go on, but don't want to steal Glen's post.

grobinson2
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy, and EFM 520 round door
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coalbrookdale Darby, Harman Mark III, Stratford SC100, DutchWest 288 (With Coal Insert), Coalbrookdale Severn, Hitzer 50/93, Hitzer 354 Double Door, FrancoBelge La Normandie, DS Machine Anthramax
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Buck, Pea, Nut, and Stove
Other Heating: Vermont Castings Defiant 1975 FlexBurn, Fisher Grandpa Bear, Vermont Castings DutchWest 224, Vermont Castings Defiant 1945, Ravelli RV-100 Classic, Progress Hybrid, Glenwood Wood Chip Boiler

Post by grobinson2 » Tue. Nov. 24, 2015 10:51 am

Good morning Guys,
I have not burned a Ciculator 1600 but I have burned the Hitzer 50-93 and 354 and this stove gets hotter WAY faster then ether of the Hitzers. As far as total heat output I would say the 354 won the day but it was a larger stove. Overall I still like the 354 better but only because I changed mine around to work for me. That said I feel the A Max has more potential and with a few changes which I believe they are doing this should take first place. I have said it before and I will say it again. That is one great thing about DS, they are constantly trying to improve there product design and are very open to change where other companies most certainly are not! As kind of an afterthought if I were comparing this A Max and the stock single door Hitzer (354 or 50-93) the A Max beets them both hands down. I did burn one single door 50-93 and two double door 354's.

Thanks again,
Glenn

ottobody
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Lil heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS comfort max 75
Coal Size/Type: Rice, nut
Other Heating: electric baseboard

Post by ottobody » Thu. Nov. 26, 2015 7:52 pm

Happy Thanksgiving! My name is Ernie and I have been following the forum for the last 7 months. I have been burning wood for the last 40 years and decided to start burning coal because it is not very labor intense. The old body isn't what it use to be. I purchased a LL stoker back in August just so I would have a stove to heat the house this winter, and I got it for a very good price, as it was used. I now have decided to go with a hand fired stove, something that I can burn wood in the spring and early fall just to knock the chill down in the house. I have a small ranch, 800 sq. ft 1st floor and 800 sq. ft. basement and the stove is in the basement. I have been interested in either the C-Max 75 or the A-max 15 stoves by DS Machine. A dealer said I should stay with the C-Max because you can't or shouldn't burn wood in the A-max. Just wondering if there were any other members besides Glenn that has any experience with these stoves.

Thanks,
Ernie

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Thu. Nov. 26, 2015 9:51 pm

ottobody,What will it matter if you buy a new stove that won't burn wood ? After 40 yrs of wearing your body out ,ain't you had enough yet ? ;) 15+ yrs was enough for us here,sure glad I got on the coal wagon finally. Wish I had started sooner,but can't change that part. :D

ottobody

Post by ottobody » Thu. Nov. 26, 2015 10:22 pm

I have plenty of wood that was cut this year with trees that came down from wind storms, and I have a few 100 ft oaks that are dead and need to come down. I was hoping my daughter would by the liberty wood stove and I was going to give her the cordwood, but her husband has a 30 year old Vogelzang wood stove that is about 30% efficient and he wants to keep it. The LL Lil Heater does a great job heating the house and hardly burns any coal at all. I have about 4 cords of green wood and the wood stove, which I was thinking of keeping and just swap the coal and wood stove out to use the wood. I really do like the DS Machine stoves though. Just wanted to get some imput on the DS stoves and probably won't do anything till next summer.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Thu. Nov. 26, 2015 10:25 pm

There are actually some folks out there who buy firewood,i USED to. :) You could sell your wood stove & the firewood for it :idea:

ottobody

Post by ottobody » Thu. Nov. 26, 2015 10:31 pm

I've thought about that but it has to be seasoned and that won't be till next year and right now a cord is going for $225-$250 for hardwood, oak, hickory and osage orange is higher yet.

grobinson2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coalbrookdale Darby, Harman Mark III, Stratford SC100, DutchWest 288 (With Coal Insert), Coalbrookdale Severn, Hitzer 50/93, Hitzer 354 Double Door, FrancoBelge La Normandie, DS Machine Anthramax
Other Heating: Vermont Castings Defiant 1975 FlexBurn, Fisher Grandpa Bear, Vermont Castings DutchWest 224, Vermont Castings Defiant 1945, Ravelli RV-100 Classic, Progress Hybrid, Glenwood Wood Chip Boiler

Post by grobinson2 » Thu. Nov. 26, 2015 11:33 pm

I would go with the Cmax if I were you.

Thanks again,
Glenn

ottobody

Post by ottobody » Fri. Nov. 27, 2015 6:44 am

Thanks Glenn. I like the burn time with the Amax , now if they had those nice handles and latches from the Amax on the Cmax that would be nice. Any one know the burn times for wood or coal for the Cmax? I'm usually away from home working 10-14 hours. That was the reason for the stoker, but I am thinking about retiring in the next year. My body is just wore out from doing boiler work for the last 37 years and starting to have health problems, so it is about time to take it easy.

Thanks,
Ernie

Rex

Post by Rex » Sat. Nov. 28, 2015 7:04 am

This will be our 5th winter using the DS 1500 Circulator with A+ results. Our stove is a tank and never had any issues burning nut coal. I normally use 2.5-3 tons each burning season.

Not wanting to high jack your thread (as its very informative and thank you for the review) but because your review and experience is so good, now you have my interest in the Anthramax.

How would it compare to my DS 1500? Any benefits that would suggest upgrading to the Anthramax over my current Circulator? I don't have money to burn or need the latest show room model but if the upgrade and improvements are noticeably a "step up" in performance/efficiency, I might take a serious look.

Im not familiar with your previous stove ownership so no biggie if you cant provide the stove comparisons or maybe somebody else reading this can provide my answer that would be great. Again not trying to high jack your excellent thread! Fell free to PM me if you rather not post here.

Rex

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Nov. 28, 2015 7:23 am

ottobody wrote:Thanks Glenn. I like the burn time with the Amax , now if they had those nice handles and latches from the Amax on the Cmax that would be nice.
Thanks,
Ernie
The AnthraMax looks to be built upon the same floor plan as the ConfortMax. Same BTU ratings also. Aside from the hopper you would be hard pressed to tell them apart on first glance.

grobinson2

Post by grobinson2 » Sun. Nov. 29, 2015 11:20 pm

Good evening Guys,
If someone is asking me today should they go with the Circulator 1500/1600 or go with one of the new AMax, I would suggest they go with the Circulator. At this time I feel they are a better coal stove. Now between the CMax and the AMax, that is an easy question. CMax hands down! It is a completely different stove and a darn good wood burner and a good coal burner as well. The way it redirects flue gasses and the way its secondary combustion takes place is just a great design. I am VERY much hoping that DS expands on the CMax line and makes a larger stove with some of the upgrades of the AMax.

Thanks again,
Glenn

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”