Post by ElCamMan515 » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 1:58 pm

Haha sorry Joe I knew you were joking.

confedsailor
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 100 KBtu Chappee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac 513
Other Heating: Oil Fired 1950"s American Standard Arcoliner 132K BTU

Post by confedsailor » Mon. Jan. 25, 2016 6:56 am

A Clinkah!!!

Mine's been a happy little stove as of late, I must have got a good pallet of Clinker Claus because it's burning to a lovely powder.

Update 1144, got home from work, the stove made it 13 hours without tending!

ElCamMan515
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker K-Lite
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac Gotha 513
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Pea Anthracite

Post by ElCamMan515 » Mon. Jan. 25, 2016 9:37 pm

Confed-what settings were you running to get a 13 hour burn??

Here is some eye candy
KIMG0213.jpg
.JPG | 90.3KB | KIMG0213.jpg
KIMG0214.jpg
.JPG | 81.8KB | KIMG0214.jpg

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Mon. Jan. 25, 2016 10:01 pm

Also, was it still making heat CS?
Nice view Tim. I miss it. Is that Kimmel, or Santa coal?

confedsailor

Post by confedsailor » Tue. Jan. 26, 2016 12:06 am

Oh it was on its last legs... :D but a quick shake and 20 minutes with the ash door open had her back up to speed. I have her set to 0.5ish on blaschak pea, I don't have a manometer, so I'd say the draft is...brisk.

ElCamMan515

Post by ElCamMan515 » Tue. Jan. 26, 2016 7:18 am

Joe its Santa Coal, That was just after poking and riddling and refilling, the blues were just dancing in the window. I will have to remove the metal mesh from the door to get better pictures.

On a side note, earlier in the thread I installed a spare thermostat as the one that was on the stove was clicking and fully opening after about 2 on the dial. I think it needs some adjustment, because when I turn stove down below 1.5 on the dial it will be fully sealed and does not allow any air to get into the firebox and the fire dies almost instantly. I have been running it around 3 during the day and 2 at night, the flapper in the back will stay between 1/8 and 1/4 inch open. If I turn the dial up to 4, it will make real good heat; exchanger was 450 flue was 155 (had it around 90 in house on Saturday evening). Does anyone know how to reset the thermostat on the Surdiac? I am going to call Meyers this morning and see if they can give me any insight. (sorry if this does not may any sense to everyone who has not owned a Surdiac)

My main fear is running the stove to hot and damaging the internals. Even with temps in the teens I haven't ran the stove above 3 on the dial, Saturday night was just a test to see how hot stove would get.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Tim

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Jan. 26, 2016 5:14 pm

Sorry your having problems with that t-stat Tim. It never acted up when I had it. When the stove was apart for cleaning and O/H once, I remember the mechanism being nothing more than a mini gearbox, with the bi-metallic spring, and thermocouple on it . I didn't think it was adjustable. (Maybe it is) But I could definitely see it becoming defective. I would think with the 2 you have, you could make one functional. Good luck with it.

ElCamMan515

Post by ElCamMan515 » Tue. Jan. 26, 2016 5:25 pm

Joe,

Its not giving me any issues, I just use 2 as 1 and 3 as 2, 1 would be 0 if that makes any sense. I was just wondering if there was a proper way to reset the Mayer Thermostat. May just tape over the dial and create new numbers hahhaa.

Again I have no complaints about the Surdiac, It has fit my needs thus far. Forecast calling for a warm up here soon, so I may shut down to clean the ash out, but shall see what the weather brings.

Tim

ElCamMan515

Post by ElCamMan515 » Fri. Jan. 29, 2016 5:35 pm

Small, but exciting update...

Wednesday evening I did a quick clean out of the stove (it was starting to ash up really bad); had it clean and relit in less than 30 minutes. Yesterday, I was able to achieve a 10 hour burn with the dial set at 2, mpd 2/3 closed. stove lasted 6am-4:15pm unattended. :up:

Today I wanted to see how the stove would react if I set the dial between 1 and 2; or 0 and 1. Stove was riddled and refilled at 6am, Mpd was again set 2/3 closed. Wife arrived home at 4:30pm to a happy little stove with blues still dancing on the hot coals and to my amazement she said the hopper was still 1/2 full! and she said house is 72 degrees 8-). Another successful 10 hour burn, but at different settings. How much longer would the stove have lasted?? Not sure as wife riddled the stove but, I will attempt to replicate the results once again tomorrow.

I will also be modifying the spare deformed hopper tomorrow morning to allow a deeper fire bed and will swap it out the next time I shut down

ElCamMan515

Post by ElCamMan515 » Sat. Jan. 30, 2016 8:46 am

Woke up this morning at 6am to find the stove chugging along. Another successful 10 hour burn during the night with stove turned down to .5 on the dial. stove is not putting out a lot of heat, but enough to keep the dining room, living room and kitchen between 76-72 respectively.

The only thing I've changed since cleaning/relight other than dial settings is prior to riddling I have been poking down into the fire bed to push ash that has accumulated on top of the fire bed down.

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Jan. 30, 2016 10:33 am

Life is "good". :)

Belgianburner
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac Gotha 713
Other Heating: heat pump (electric backup)

Post by Belgianburner » Sat. Jan. 30, 2016 12:31 pm

Tim, if the thermo unit seems to be operating correctly but just isn't calibrated to your dial, there's a set screw that fastens cable to the dial. You'll need to hold it with vice grip as you disconnect & move the dial. Mine isn't accurate either.

ElCamMan515

Post by ElCamMan515 » Sat. Jan. 30, 2016 4:22 pm

BB, the thermostat is working correctly, but as you said it's not calibrated with the dial. I just going to keep it as is as I figured the dial out. I took some masking tape and rewrote the numbers. Now I have 0-7. Been running same settings as yesterday and last night and successfully had another 10 hour burn.
Forecast is calling for a warm up so I may shut down for a few days.

ElCamMan515

Post by ElCamMan515 » Tue. Feb. 09, 2016 7:59 am

This past weekend I finally found some time to work on the spare hopper. I attempted to cut it with a cut off wheel and ate through 3 wheels before I grabbed the sawsall with a metal blade. I was unable to successfully cut the hopper so my uncle took it to work with him and will have the machine shop cut off the bad parts and spread the mouth of the hopper straight. I should have Wednesday night. On a plus, since Jan 30 I have been able to sustain 10 hour burns.

Tim

confedsailor

Post by confedsailor » Tue. Feb. 09, 2016 8:16 am

Outstanding!

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”