RFUGLE

Post by RFUGLE » Thu. Jul. 12, 2012 7:01 pm

Picture 001.jpg
.JPG | 141.5KB | Picture 001.jpg
Picture 003.jpg
.JPG | 144.5KB | Picture 003.jpg
Picture 005.jpg
.JPG | 128.6KB | Picture 005.jpg
Ok any help would be great, I can not find any information on this unit....

on the inside of the top door it has oa 116 then also just the numbers 214 and 216
On the lower inside door on the vents it has feb 23 1897

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Fri. Jul. 13, 2012 2:13 am

It is a very good stove. It is an "Oak," type stove which means it has a direct draft as opposed to a base burner or base heater. These were designed for multi fuel use. You can burn wood, Bituminous Coal or Anthracite in them. These stoves were numbered and classified by the size of the fire pot in most cases. The 216 means that it has a 16 inch fire pot, enough to hold around 60 pounds of Nut sized coal. It is a good size for most homes. Some of these stoves were made as, "double heaters," that is they have a dual function. They provide both radiant and convective heat. Andes Stoves are among the best made stoves and they were expensive when they were new.
What are you planning to do with the stove?
If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

RFUGLE

Post by RFUGLE » Fri. Jul. 13, 2012 6:44 am

Well honestly I am trying to get an Idea of value before I make a decission. It is not practical for use in my paticular situation but my home was built in 1868 and it does look great where it sits.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Fri. Jul. 13, 2012 8:21 am

Does the stove have a divided back pipe or is it a direct draft stove? Can't tell from you pix as there are none showing the back. Have you ever used it? What type grates does it have. How about a few more pix of the back side and open the load door and shoot down at the grates.

RFUGLE

Post by RFUGLE » Fri. Jul. 13, 2012 12:56 pm

I personally have not used this, the preivous home owner did. Here are a bunch of pics of the inside and the back of the doors and stove.
Picture 016.jpg
.JPG | 116.4KB | Picture 016.jpg
Picture 018.jpg
.JPG | 85.7KB | Picture 018.jpg
Picture 019.jpg
.JPG | 116.5KB | Picture 019.jpg
Picture 020.jpg
.JPG | 166.8KB | Picture 020.jpg
Picture 021.jpg
.JPG | 144.5KB | Picture 021.jpg
Picture 023.jpg
.JPG | 69.6KB | Picture 023.jpg

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Fri. Jul. 13, 2012 3:46 pm

Why would it not be pratical to use? It looks like it is already installed. It looks very practical to me according to the photos.

RFUGLE

Post by RFUGLE » Fri. Jul. 13, 2012 4:32 pm

didnt mean that lol there are 3 fireplaces the upstairs stays very warm. maybe a missuse of pratical but non the less it is not a heating requirment as a third stove in a small upstairs zone.

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Fri. Jul. 13, 2012 6:17 pm

Looks to be a direct draft and in decent shape. What are you heating the main house with if this is relegated to the upstairs?

RFUGLE

Post by RFUGLE » Fri. Jul. 13, 2012 7:46 pm

A huge open fireplace in main room but main heat source is a stove off of the laundry room centrally located also has a boiler but does not run often.
firplace2.jpg
.JPG | 74.5KB | firplace2.jpg
fireplace3.jpg
.JPG | 86.9KB | fireplace3.jpg
These are a few pics I had from when I bougth the house

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Jul. 14, 2012 3:34 am

Don't be surprised when you hear this but the Oak Andes will do a lot better job of heating than the other stove. Plus you can burn coal in the Andes. They do a great job with coal. You have a prize and you should be aware of it.

RFUGLE

Post by RFUGLE » Sat. Jul. 14, 2012 7:39 am

Thank You and I kinda thought it was a nice stove once I started doing some research. I just cant find any information and to be honest with my current situation I may need to put this up for sale. I don't really want to but financially may need to. There are many reasons that I wont go into here but can someone give me an idea of what Im looking at. Man I cant even stand typing that but with this great economy I may not have a choice.

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Sat. Jul. 14, 2012 11:57 am

Got to do what you got to do but Williams right, that Andes on ant coal would amaze you comapred to the woodbox stove.
Sales wise it really depends on what someone is willing to pay for it. It's not going to fetch top dollar unless it's restored and the trim is nickel plated again. But for use as is the paint is ok. I've seen them sell for $1500 when totally restored but as is, your looking at $500 maybe. It's a very wide market. Hope your situation changes and you can keep it though. The economy is coming round, it's always cyclical.

tmbrddl
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 30, Oak Andes 216
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove

Post by tmbrddl » Sun. Jan. 31, 2016 9:47 am

wsherrick wrote:It is a very good stove. It is an "Oak," type stove which means it has a direct draft as opposed to a base burner or base heater. These were designed for multi fuel use. You can burn wood, Bituminous Coal or Anthracite in them. These stoves were numbered and classified by the size of the fire pot in most cases. The 216 means that it has a 16 inch fire pot, enough to hold around 60 pounds of Nut sized coal. It is a good size for most homes. Some of these stoves were made as, "double heaters," that is they have a dual function. They provide both radiant and convective heat. Andes Stoves are among the best made stoves and they were expensive when they were new.
What are you planning to do with the stove?
If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
I have this stove in my garage awaiting restoration. I'm sure the grate is not original, can you help me locate one?

rcbench
Hand Fed Coal Stove: andes

Post by rcbench » Sat. Nov. 26, 2016 2:34 pm

i'm new to this blog found it by accident when I was searching for info on my andes wood coal 6 burner stove. someone posted they saw one on craigs list couple years ago in syracuse ny. and that may have been me but I got so many people trying to scam me I gave up

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sat. Nov. 26, 2016 3:10 pm

Welcome to the forum, rcbench. A thread all of your own would be best. go here: Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite Coal , click new topic and please post pictures of what you have. Lots of pictures, inside and out, we love pictures. Be sure to finsh filling out your profile, as Freetown Fred says.........ain't nobody gonna steal ya.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”