Looking for a Coal Boiler Add-On to a Steam System

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Jan. 06, 2016 6:07 pm

True enough. And if I'm not mistaken, an EFM can run some of the better bituminous coals. Good boiler and rated for steam. I'm not familiar with Keystoker's products but would assume they have something that fits the bill.

To answer the cost question, I believe a new Axeman 260 is in the north of $12,000 range. That said, used, they can be had very reasonable. All of these boilers are very well made and will last easily for many decades.

Don R.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Franco-Belge
Coal Size/Type: Pea size anthracite, bituminous
Other Heating: Oil-Fired Burnham steam boiler, cast iron radiators

Post by Don R. » Thu. Jan. 07, 2016 2:37 pm

Thanks for the PM, Larry.

I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger on one just yet, I don't have the cash. It would have to be March or April, after I get my tax refund back.

So, I talked with my wife, and I might need to rethink the hand-fired. Right now Im leaning towards a stoker. The thing is, I leave for work about 5:30 am and don't get home until 5:15 pm or 5:30. If I have to work late I don't get home until 7 or 8, but fortunately thats not often, maybe once a month or so.

My wife hates to go down into the cellar, apparently its gross and scary (she's a girly girl, one of the things I love about her :D ), so she wont be shaking the grate or stoking when im not there, so if im only getting 5-8 hour burn times in a hand-fired then it will be out by the time im home.

Mike, to answer your question, I was thinking of having the boilers on the same water level, so I don't have to isolate one from the other, so if the coal boiler goes out, the oil boiler would start automatically once the temp drops to the level on the thermostat. Thats how it worked in our old house, once the fire in the stove went out, the oil burner would kick on.

As far as the stokers go, I think the AA260 would definitely put out the BTUs I need. how often do the larger EFM's come up for sale used? and for about how much? I think my current boiler is a bit oversized, but I think minimum i'll need 180 to 200 MBH

Thanks again folks, you've all been very helpful

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Thu. Jan. 07, 2016 11:16 pm

Don R. wrote:Mike, to answer your question, I was thinking of having the boilers on the same water level, so I don't have to isolate one from the other, so if the coal boiler goes out, the oil boiler would start automatically once the temp drops to the level on the thermostat. Thats how it worked in our old house, once the fire in the stove went out, the oil burner would kick on.

how often do the larger EFM's come up for sale used? and for about how much? I think my current boiler is a bit oversized, but I think minimum i'll need 180 to 200 MBH
Was it a steam system in your old house? Seems like that approach would be more complicated with steam than hot water.

The larger EFMs come up for sale fairly regularly. I sold a 900 a few years ago that now has been owned by 3 different forum members. :)

I would suggest making very sure on the boiler capacity before downsizing from a level that works. An underpowered steam system can be quite annoying.

Mike

Don R.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Franco-Belge
Coal Size/Type: Pea size anthracite, bituminous
Other Heating: Oil-Fired Burnham steam boiler, cast iron radiators

Post by Don R. » Mon. Feb. 01, 2016 1:23 pm

I would suggest making very sure on the boiler capacity before downsizing from a level that works. An underpowered steam system can be quite annoying.
That's a good point there, Mike. So, I was walking around the house last week snowbound after the 32+ inches we got, and I realized almost half the radiators in the house were turned off. I already had the radiators in the attic and the conservatory turned off. Duh, this explains why certain spots were always cold. When we bought the place 8 months ago, it was vacant for more than two years, so I suppose they were only heating the minimum.

So, my issues with the short-cycling on the burner are gone, house heats up nice and quick now.

I don't think the boiler is oversized anymore. I've got twenty rooms with radiators, so I think i'll need all the BTUs I have.

I'm rethinking the bit, as well. Last Friday I was up in Brisbin, PA, neighbor up there two doors down always had a wood boiler in the back yard, but now he's switched to bit. It stank somethin fierce. Talking with the other folks up there they don't like it either. They complained to the borough but they say he's compliant bc of the 15' block chimney he built.

unhippy
Stoker Coal Boiler: MK2 #1

Post by unhippy » Wed. Feb. 24, 2016 3:01 am

Don R. wrote:

Last Friday I was up in Brisbin, PA, neighbor up there two doors down always had a wood boiler in the back yard, but now he's switched to bit. It stank somethin fierce. Talking with the other folks up there they don't like it either. They complained to the borough but they say he's compliant bc of the 15' block chimney he built.
If you get a Bit stoker you won't have any of the smoke and smell that a Bit handfired puts out......i run a stoker on bit coal and what little smell the exhaust has doesn't smell like anything that you would recognise as being a bituminous 'coal smoke' smell.....

the neighbours don't realise that I have a coal burner, pretty much no visible smoke and no smell .....and I live in a place that everyone can instantly identify coal smoke

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Wed. Feb. 24, 2016 8:00 am

Edit: appologies to the op as I thought this was callums thread :oops:

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”