Truck Tires in General , When on and Off Road Matter

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 1:50 pm

Toyo open country...
stock size but went up to next ply rating...
mostly paved road, badly plowed roads in winter...
not so noisy on highway...
Love the general articmax r43 on the sienna fwd...
Next one will do the snow version and switch to r43 in non winter driving...

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 4:19 pm

My summer tires are 270/55-20, Bridgestone Dueller H/L Alenza (OEM wheels for a '10 LTZ). On their 6th year this coming spring, at about 32k miles. It's getting to be time. I've never got more than 35k out of tires in my life (first time was the OEM set on this truck) so I'm happy with that. They're great 3-season tires. I've towed stupid amounts of weight with them (load range D) and never had an issue.

My winter tires are 265/65-18, Bridgestone Blizzak (the OEM wheels for this truck). These things are friggin amazing in the rough stuff! I've gone ridiculous speeds over glare ice, and watched people behind me completely lose control trying to tailgate me. Can't recommend them highly enough! If everyone in MA ran these tires, there would never be a traffic issue during a storm ever again.

Summer:
Winter:

Attachments

Silverado (36).JPG
.JPG | 109.1KB | Silverado (36).JPG

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 4:39 pm

Check out the Articmax by General...
Put them on sil HHR very capable in snow if you know how to drive... ;)

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 8:30 pm

I just replaced my truck tires. Cooper discover ATR3 . 10ply USA made. 285/75/17 So far I like them.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 8:43 pm

Flyer5 wrote:I just replaced my truck tires. Cooper discover ATR3 . 10ply USA made. 285/75/17 So far I like them.
That was going to be my recommendation too.

DENNIS BAUER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 105 - SOLD
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95 - Garage
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: HITZER 50-93 - HOUSE
Coal Size/Type: NUT
Other Heating: PROPANE FURNACE, ELECTIC BASE BOARD, AND WOOD FIRE PLACE

Post by DENNIS BAUER » Mon. Jan. 25, 2016 9:08 am

I run 35-12.5/18 on my 2000 Ford Excursion. Last year I switched to The General Grabbers Red letter tires, due one to the look of the Red Lettering ( I know, I know) and the fact that a buddy of mine is running 35-12.5/17 on an F150 and had over 35k on them and they were still doing great.

I ran Nitto Trail Grapplers before and they were shot in 12k miles. They are cheap but junk as for wear. Did ok in the Snow and ok in the mud. Loud on the Road.

The Generals on the other hand are great. They are not a mud tire but if you keep the RPMs up they clean out nicely and work really well. Just new slow crawling through clay like I could with an old set of Swamppers.
Road noise is very low. And they do great in the snow and ice.

I couldn't recommend the Generals more. The will handle the weight as well, the Excursion Dry weight is 6300lbs and when loaded and the camper on the back it is pushing 9k. I love the tires and won't go with anything else on the truck.

Like someone that posted above, this set will dry rot off the truck before I replace them again due to now having a little truck (GMC Sonoma) that I drive daily. 49miles one way to work was not a lot of fun with a V10 on 35" when gas was high.

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Wed. Jan. 27, 2016 3:35 pm

you know I was so impressed with the BFG KO tires in this snow storm that I think I may try the KO2s when I go to buy new tires. I like what this article has to say about them:

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/400500/same-terrain-new-ko2-tire

and most of the driving I will do with be on pavement as far as miles go. The KO is an extremly quiet riding tire on the road. zero road noise from them. So maybe I will give old BFG a second round.

I will still be in search of 4 steel wheels 17" for a 08-10 F250/350 and then maybe I can put some super swampers or mud terrain when I know I'll need them.

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2

Post by Smokeyja » Wed. Jan. 27, 2016 3:49 pm

DENNIS BAUER wrote:I run 35-12.5/18 on my 2000 Ford Excursion. Last year I switched to The General Grabbers Red letter tires, due one to the look of the Red Lettering ( I know, I know) and the fact that a buddy of mine is running 35-12.5/17 on an F150 and had over 35k on them and they were still doing great.

I ran Nitto Trail Grapplers before and they were shot in 12k miles. They are cheap but junk as for wear. Did ok in the Snow and ok in the mud. Loud on the Road.

The Generals on the other hand are great. They are not a mud tire but if you keep the RPMs up they clean out nicely and work really well. Just new slow crawling through clay like I could with an old set of Swamppers.

I couldn't recommend the Generals more. The will handle the weight as well, the Excursion Dry weight is 6300lbs and when loaded and the camper on the back it is pushing 9k. I love the tires and won't go with anything else on the truck.

Like someone that posted above, this set will dry rot off the truck before I replace them again due to now having a little truck (GMC Sonoma) that I drive daily. 49miles one way to work was not a lot of fun with a V10 on 35" when gas was high.
I've heard the NITTO brands burn tread fast. A friend of mine manages a rock quarry and he swapped all their trucks tires to Nitto grappler G2 and said they wore out at 30k when they are rated to last 50k

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Wed. Jan. 27, 2016 4:22 pm

Smokeyja wrote:
DENNIS BAUER wrote:I run 35-12.5/18 on my 2000 Ford Excursion. Last year I switched to The General Grabbers Red letter tires, due one to the look of the Red Lettering ( I know, I know) and the fact that a buddy of mine is running 35-12.5/17 on an F150 and had over 35k on them and they were still doing great.

I've heard the NITTO brands burn tread fast. A friend of mine manages a rock quarry and he swapped all their trucks tires to Nitto grappler G2 and said they wore out at 30k when they are rated to last 50k
I would be lucky to get 15k from Nittos

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Wed. Jan. 27, 2016 5:17 pm

As I said, I have the Nitto M/T tires. I have put over 10k on them since mid Oct. Probably closer to 15k. I think they will go about 25k. Pretty much what I expected from an m/t tire on a truck towing a trailer mostly.

Kevin

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Wed. Jan. 27, 2016 8:31 pm

KLook wrote:As I said, I have the Nitto M/T tires. I have put over 10k on them since mid Oct. Probably closer to 15k. I think they will go about 25k. Pretty much what I expected from an m/t tire on a truck towing a trailer mostly.

Kevin
I was running the terra grapplers . So hopefully you will have better luck with the M/Ts. My truck rarely runs empty as well.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Wed. Jan. 27, 2016 9:33 pm

Nah, mine are the Terra Grapplers as well....I only have them because a dealer screwed up my tire order royally. He offered me these things at the same cost as cheap FIrestone Chinese tires. I only paid $130 per tire. They are at least $385 or so. Been studying hard and listening whenever tires are discussed to make a good decision next time. These things make my truck look badass when it ain't, but they hurt more then they help my kind of driving.

Kevin

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Fri. Feb. 05, 2016 1:56 pm

Well I haven't chose anything as far as tires go . I want to do more research and I may go with a mud terrain , all said and done. I got stuck in a hole in my yard and had to come a long myself out . All I can say is the BFG KO and KO2 tires do not do well in mud and that is what my yard is 50% of the time .

I am starting a thread on lockers now if anyone wants to comment in there about experience or thoughts.

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”