My KAA-4-1

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Wed. Feb. 10, 2016 12:48 pm

After looking at the schematic the only logical answer is,,,,,,,,,
I believe that the high limit and low limit are addressed by the Aquastat. So no need for over heat or under heat. What I do think is that that L6006 wired to the TT terminal on the Aquastat is for a dump zone. If the unit runs for a long time and is cycling in and out on the high limit, when it shuts down after satisfying the call, the boiler temp will overshoot and not let the timer run the stoker. To keep from having an outfire, they just dump the boiler into the system by starting the circulator. After it goes down below the high limit, the timer can fire the stoker again. There is a differential there so the temp might go down to 10 degrees less than high limit setting. If your high limit is set at 180 on the Hydrastat, I would set the L6006 at 182. You still wont have protection if the fire goes out.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Feb. 10, 2016 12:54 pm

Keystoker doesn't pass the timer circuit through the high limit in the triple aquastat.

I would set the dump zone at 200. No reason to have it any less (at least that I can think of).

Scottscoaled

Post by Scottscoaled » Wed. Feb. 10, 2016 1:17 pm

Rob R. wrote:Keystoker doesn't pass the timer circuit through the high limit in the triple aquastat.

I would set the dump zone at 200. No reason to have it any less (at least that I can think of).
True, but I would still set the L6006 closer to the high limit. It isn't an EFM and has a small water mass. It probably is a little more sensitive to overshoots. I figured out what was the part in the schematic that I thought was the high limit aquastat. It must be the oil shutdown switch (dual fuel) apparatus.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Wed. Feb. 10, 2016 2:01 pm

You guys are confusing me. If the L6006 is used to control a dump zone, doesn't that eliminate the outfire protection? At the low limit isn't the aquastat trying to run the stoker, causing the unburned coal buildup if the fire in fact has gone out?

Mike

Olllotj
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KB-8
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat
Other Heating: Utica Propane Hot Water

Post by Olllotj » Wed. Feb. 10, 2016 2:03 pm

The reason Keystoker inculded the second aquastat is for over fire protection, not out fire protection :D .

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Feb. 10, 2016 2:19 pm

lzaharis wrote:Hello Scott, Hello McGeiver,

The L6006A is at the cold end of the boiler and plumbed
into the top of the steam chest. with the bulb in the dry well
I guess from the looks of it
===================================================================
Pulling the cover off the L6006A and looking at it:

One terminal is marked R the other W and there is a
male shovel connector at the very end.

The instructions on the inside of the cover state the following;

R-B opens, R-W closes on temp increase

I do not know what the white wheel with numbers under the
mechanism is for and I have no reason or need to mess with it.

SO its set for 120 Degrees Fahrenheit and everything works.
I have heat and abundant hot water with the anti scald mixing valve in the system.

According to Honeywell; the L6006 is used for limiting or regulating the temperature of liquids
in boilers, storage tanks and other applications where temperature control is required

As long as it works.

There, I fixed my typos :)
Seems to be used as a Dump to close and run the circulator to shed over temp set-point in his application.
Only way to have a out-fire stoker stop is if you also incorporate a temporary by-pass in order to get it lit from a cold start...this doesn't look that way. :)

There are many options for either a L4006 or a L6006. :?
https://customer.honeywell.com/en-US/Pages/category.aspx?cat=HonECC%20Catalog&category=L4006
https://customer.honeywell.com/en-US/Pages/category.aspx?cat=HonECC%20Catalog&category=L6006
Last edited by McGiever on Wed. Feb. 10, 2016 2:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Wed. Feb. 10, 2016 2:30 pm

Rob R. wrote:
lzaharis wrote:Pulling the cover off the L6006A and looking at it:

One terminal is marked R the other W and there is a
male shovel connector at the very end.

The instructions on the inside of the cover state the following;

R-B opens, R-W closes on temp increase

I do not know what the white wheel with numbers under the
mechanism is for and I have no reason or need to mess with it.
So which terminals are you using? R-B or R-W? This is what I was trying to figure out in previous posts when I asked which 2 out of the 3 terminals were in use, and what they were connected to.

A 6006A can be used to limit the unburned coal in the ash pan from an outfire, high limit control, or to activate a dump zone. A very versatile control, but it needs to be hooked up properly.

Keystokers typically come with a 4006B (makes on rise) aquastat. You can do the same thing with terminals R-W in your 6006A.

I almost hate to ask, but did your installers have a copy of the wiring diagram for the boiler??
=========================================================================================

Hello Rob,

They did have the wiring diagrams yes. Everything-complete wiring harness owners manual, warranty registration was in the ash basket in the boiler base.

My KAA-4-1 came with the L6006A with the R and W terminals and the male spade at the bottom of the aquastat if you were looking at it directly; or looking at it with it secured to the well in the top of steam chest you would see the hand wheel then the cardboard cover over the terminals and the spade connection and the white plastic wheel with the black numbers underneath it all. I still do not know what that wheel is for but I have no reason to mess with it.

The thermostat wire pairs are connected with both white leads on the left "T" terminal,
and both red leads on the right "T" terminal in the hydrostat 3250 plus.
Last edited by lzaharis on Wed. Feb. 10, 2016 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lzaharis

Post by lzaharis » Wed. Feb. 10, 2016 2:49 pm

On page 12 of the owners manual in the first paragraph:

"This section ONLY pertains to periods when the thermostat is not calling for heat.
If the fire goes out, you will have to add more pins to timer OR increase coal feed. "

I have six pins left I believe so I can add two more pins to each of the three groups of 4 pins. HAHA say that four times fast!!

So far so good, spousal unit is not complaining and she is not cold so................................................... I can just raise the thermostat to heat this place.

I have found that after I open the Kimmels Coal Bags the polyester bags drain fairly quickly of any residual excess moisture if I stand them up and let them drain over the threshold board in the laundry room.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Feb. 10, 2016 2:53 pm

Add pins, that's it...you got it now. ;)

Pacowy

Post by Pacowy » Wed. Feb. 10, 2016 3:05 pm

McGiever wrote:Seems to be used as a Dump to close and run the circulator to shed over temp set-point in his application.
Only way to have a out-fire stoker stop is if you also incorporate a temporary by-pass in order to get it lit from a cold start...this doesn't look that way. :)
I don't understand how it could have been intended by the installer to be used as a dump zone controller if it was set below the low limit of the aquastat. Perhaps the installer was familiar with p16 of the EFM manual:

"This alternate wiring is to use a Honeywell L6006A or C Aquastat to sense water temperature drop to shut off the stoker in an outfire condition. Set the temperature setting 20 degrees below the L8124A, L7224A operating control (low limit) setting. The differential setting on the L6006A should be 5 degrees. The manual switch is used to start the cold boiler and bring it up to operating temperature. To start a cold boiler, the switch is set to the “ON” position (closed contacts). Once the boiler is up to operating temperature, the switch position is moved to the “OFF” position (open contacts). With the switch in the “OFF” position, the stoker is in the outfire-protection mode."

If this was what the installer intended, it may well deviate from the Keystoker manual/diagram. My point was that the OP would lose the outfire protection.

Mike

Scottscoaled

Post by Scottscoaled » Wed. Feb. 10, 2016 4:19 pm

Pacowy wrote:
McGiever wrote:Seems to be used as a Dump to close and run the circulator to shed over temp set-point in his application.
I don't understand how it could have been intended by the installer to be used as a dump zone controller if it was set below the low limit of the aquastat. Perhaps the installer was familiar with p16 of the EFM manual:

"This alternate wiring is to use a Honeywell L6006A or C Aquastat to sense water temperature drop to shut off the stoker in an outfire condition. Set the temperature setting 20 degrees below the L8124A, L7224A operating control (low limit) setting. The differential setting on the L6006A should be 5 degrees. The manual switch is used to start the cold boiler and bring it up to operating temperature. To start a cold boiler, the switch is set to the “ON” position (closed contacts). Once the boiler is up to operating temperature, the switch position is moved to the “OFF” position (open contacts). With the switch in the “OFF” position, the stoker is in the outfire-protection mode."

If this was what the installer intended, it may well deviate from the Keystoker manual/diagram. My point was that the OP would lose the outfire protection.

Mike
Look at the wiring diagram posted earlier. Page 4. The L6006 is meant to be used as a dump zone controller. It needs to be turned to above the high limit setting.

Pacowy

Post by Pacowy » Wed. Feb. 10, 2016 5:03 pm

I understand/agree with that. I've been trying to get at the possibility that the installer deviated from the schematic on purpose, and that such a deviation might be useful to the OP if it properly provided outfire protection.

Mike

Scottscoaled

Post by Scottscoaled » Wed. Feb. 10, 2016 5:24 pm

I also suggested that but the OP is extremely satisfied with having heat and doesn't want to deviate from the factory wiring for the added protection. It is a Keystoker.

lzaharis

Post by lzaharis » Wed. Feb. 10, 2016 5:47 pm

Shakedown cruise update:

I was going to change the ash basket at 4:30 and looked down over the fire bed
of the three grate stoker and its barely half full. I might get two full days use
from it before I have to change it. I must be doing something right.

According to spousal unit-Freetown Fred's heavy snow fall has migrated
from Cortland County southward.

:D :bighug: :cheers:

lzaharis

Post by lzaharis » Thu. Feb. 11, 2016 12:26 am

Shakedown cruise update at 12:25 AM

One bag of Kimmels Rice Coal dumped in Hopper,
Boiler running at 175 degrees.
Winds and snow coming from the East South East.

SO far so good.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”