Harman MK1

RSorjanen
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby,Warm Morning 617A/Warm Morning 523
Baseburners & Antiques: Empress Atlantic
Coal Size/Type: nut, pea

Post by RSorjanen » Mon. Jan. 18, 2016 6:46 pm

Hi All
I have been watching this site for awhile now, have learnt alot. I have finally convinced my wife that a coal stove is the way to go. I know some info on them and how to use one. I am looking at a used Harman MK1 that seems to be in good shape. The person is selling because his wife just couldn't get the hang of keeping it going so they went to propane. The price seems right at $300.00 with piping included. I hope this will be a wise decision.
Any info on this stove would be nice.
thanks in advance
Bob

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Jan. 18, 2016 6:56 pm

Hey Bob, welcome aboard. What are you currently using for heat and how much does it cost?

RSorjanen

Post by RSorjanen » Mon. Jan. 18, 2016 7:11 pm

Lightning wrote:Hey Bob, welcome aboard. What are you currently using for heat and how much does it cost?
currently have oil furnace use to keep pipes from freezing. Have a pellet stove in an addition here but only light it to warm up the room before bed and shut it off before bed. Was using another pellet stove for the main heat source took it out and put a Home comfort stove in to try. The problem I have with that a wood fire won't last the night and coal is being difficult in it. I can't shake the grates as that is broken. Good thing no money lost on it. This is what convinced my wife coal is the way to go.

biggerpatterson
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: New natural gas hot air furnace inst, 2020

Post by biggerpatterson » Mon. Jan. 18, 2016 7:17 pm

Welcome to the forum ! If it's in good shape , $300 is a good buy. I live about 2 miles from a stove shop and he just sold his last Mk I. The price tag on it was $1800. Even if you change your mind about burning black rocks, you'll never lose money on the stove. Does the blower come with it ? I just sold my Baker box stove and it needed a blower because of the heat exchanger built into the stove. I think Harmans are the same basic design.

RSorjanen

Post by RSorjanen » Mon. Jan. 18, 2016 7:21 pm

biggerpatterson wrote:Welcome to the forum ! If it's in good shape , $300 is a good buy. I live about 2 miles from a stove shop and he just sold his last Mk I. The price tag on it was $1800. Even if you change your mind about burning black rocks, you'll never lose money on the stove. Does the blower come with it ? I just sold my Baker box stove and it needed a blower because of the heat exchanger built into the stove. I think Harmans are the same basic design.
It does come with the blower. I love burning black rocks. I find the heat is much more even than wood fires. I have burnt coal a long time ago, about 25-30 years ago. I figured could not lose on the stove.

Salemcoal

Post by Salemcoal » Mon. Jan. 18, 2016 7:23 pm

The Harman marI is a great coal stove. Very economical yet throws out some great heat I burned one for about 4 years and loved it. sounds like a good deal Some deal killers may be signs of over firing badly warped grates no baffle. Good luck

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Mon. Jan. 18, 2016 8:31 pm

Hello, this is my third year with a Mark I. That's a good price for the stove. Check the grates for warping and also check the internal Baffle for signs of overfiring. The baffle is a sheet of metal on the fire box ceiling that forms a void for heat transfer. You can put your fingers inside the baffle if you slide your fingers up the inner front wall. This should be checked for flyash build up periodically, too.

The Mark I is a heat monster. You'll really like how easy it is to operate. Take care, Lisa

RSorjanen

Post by RSorjanen » Mon. Jan. 25, 2016 9:44 am

lowfog01 wrote:Hello, this is my third year with a Mark I. That's a good price for the stove. Check the grates for warping and also check the internal Baffle for signs of overfiring. The baffle is a sheet of metal on the fire box ceiling that forms a void for heat transfer. You can put your fingers inside the baffle if you slide your fingers up the inner front wall. This should be checked for flyash build up periodically, too.

The Mark I is a heat monster. You'll really like how easy it is to operate. Take care, Lisa
Well I purchased the Harman, it appears to be in great shape. I can't believe the thickness of the metal on these things. I hooked it up and it is running nicely. The nice thing still have heat in the mornings. Still figuring out settings where to run it at night, last night got too warm in the bedroom farthest away. Must say it heats fantastic.
Bob

RSorjanen

Post by RSorjanen » Wed. Feb. 10, 2016 5:25 pm

update on the Harman it heats great, house is very warm, wife likes it a lot. Run the stove temp to about 400-450, sometimes have to open a window. I hooked up a manometer and the draft is about .05. Harman says .06 -.08, but I hear people on here running the draft a lot lower.
Great heat source!
Bob

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Wed. Feb. 10, 2016 5:46 pm

Glad to hear it is working well for you and you are staying warm.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Wed. Feb. 10, 2016 7:08 pm

RSorjanen wrote:update on the Harman it heats great, house is very warm, wife likes it a lot. Run the stove temp to about 400-450, sometimes have to open a window. I hooked up a manometer and the draft is about .05. Harman says .06 -.08, but I hear people on here running the draft a lot lower.
I'm glad it is working well for you. $300 is a great price. I used a MK1 for about 5 years but had to push it hard because it was too small for my house. Draft .05 should be fine -- the difference I noticed was, at too low a draft, the stove became sluggish and didn't respond quickly when I wanted more heat.

You can put the blower on a rheostat if you want to. I used a simple dimmer switch. When stove temperature was lower I would run the fan a half speed or even lower, for a lot less noise.

RSorjanen

Post by RSorjanen » Wed. Feb. 10, 2016 9:47 pm

"You can put the blower on a rheostat if you want to. I used a simple dimmer switch. When stove temperature was lower I would run the fan a half speed or even lower, for a lot less noise."

rberq thanks for that info will try it one of these times maybe for next year.

Bob

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”