Gas Burner in a EFM DF520?

MEcoalburner
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Propane boiler

Post by MEcoalburner » Tue. Feb. 16, 2016 6:03 pm

Can anybody tell if they have ever put or can you put a Carlin gas conversion burner or Riello gas burner in DF520 instead of a oil burner. I am looking at buying one but do not have oil, I have propane. Can any of you EFM experts out there tell me if this could be done? Thanks in advance for any help.

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Tue. Feb. 16, 2016 7:45 pm

So what are you currently using for heat? Propane boiler? size and age? fin tube or radiators or radiant floors? how much room do you have? PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND ANSWERS!

waldo

MEcoalburner

Post by MEcoalburner » Tue. Feb. 16, 2016 8:32 pm

I am currently running a Alaska Kodiak with a propane wall hung boiler as back up. Our house was built in the 1950's and is 2000 sq ft with fin baseboard. The wall hung boiler is on its way out and I want to replace it with the 520. I have 4 zones and a 60 gal indirect water heater. Going to get a tankless water heater for the warm half of the year and the 520 for the cold half. I would just like to see if I could put a gas burner in it as a dual fuel source in the 520 in case I went away on business.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Feb. 16, 2016 9:15 pm

If there is any way to salvage that wall-hung boiler, that would be a better setup than the dual fuel option on the DF520. With that said, if the wall-hung is a no go, I can't see any reason why a gas burner could not be mounted on the EFM. I haven't seen it done on a DF520, but plenty of oil boilers have been converted to gas.

You should be able to buy the oil kit minus the burner.

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Tue. Feb. 16, 2016 10:11 pm

If there is something that is more inefficient than an EFM DF 520 on oil, it would probably be a DF 520 on gas. ;)

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Feb. 17, 2016 10:13 am

Not saying anything of efficency one way or another, but as far as able to use propain...Liesure Line has also done that type of gas burner in their dual fuel products, so it might be doable. :!:

But, actually, I'm with the others here as on using another propain tankless w/ the EFM. ;)

Oh wait a minute, you're saying the propain tankless cannot carry the winter load now and that is why the Alaska Stove is used...so w/o coal you'd not have enough heat...is this correct?

MEcoalburner

Post by MEcoalburner » Wed. Feb. 17, 2016 8:41 pm

The wall hung unit is a biggest peice ofcrap, which I can't get parts for and absolutely no tech support, but that's a whole different story. It could never keep up when it's gets below 10 degs. The wall hung is going to the scrap yard and is being replaced with a tankless just for the warmer months. I just want to run the propane burner in case I go out of town since I already have it. I primarily use the Alaska for heat now but want to switch to a stoker boiler. So I may just try it and see. There are a couple of ads on craigslist up here for used and new gas burners.

maxpower_454

Post by maxpower_454 » Thu. Feb. 18, 2016 11:34 am

Yep. No reason you can't do it that I can see. Just buy a propane gun instead of an oil gun. Link below is just an example. Efficiency would be about the same since the DF520 would not be a condensing boiler. The wall hung propanes are so efficient because they are condensing boilers. This is the route I plan on going if I ever need this option. Doubt I ever will. I think these low oil/propane prices are going to be short lived. I would also call efm if I were you and run it by them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/141585488483?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”