Martial Arts

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Apr. 26, 2016 7:12 am

Nice Dave, but having tinkered a tad, I gotta mention that dry, well grained 5/8 hemlock, pine, etc always brought a smile. ;)

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Tue. Apr. 26, 2016 8:36 am

Now Fred...... :nono: When you hit a board being held by your other hand , what your suggesting becomes a different animal. Requires much more accuracy and speed than a board supported on both ends. Try it using a hammer even ,,,, oh and start with balsa :D

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Apr. 26, 2016 10:02 am

not sellin it short---just sayin. :)

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Tue. Apr. 26, 2016 11:49 am

waldo lemieux wrote:Now Fred...... :nono: When you hit a board being held by your other hand , what your suggesting becomes a different animal. Requires much more accuracy and speed than a board supported on both ends. Try it using a hammer even ,,,, oh and start with balsa :D
Not sure if you can see it but my palm is down at the strike the tip of my thumb is just under my hand striking with the outside bottom half of the thumb. I can do 3 boards I wanted to do 2 for the test but only 1 was available. It is all speed, power and commitment really. I can say from experience if you strike a 1x 12x10 pine board with your hand and are not committed to going through it. You will invent many new words. :shock: The reason I was told for using that size board = the force to break 1 human rib. I am doing all this for the exercise physically and mentally. That is really it. This is all the fun stuff that you get to do for all the other torture your body seems to endure at times. My next will be cinder block caps. I have to admit some nervousness there.

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Tue. Apr. 26, 2016 5:23 pm

Congrats on the not smoking part! It keeps getting easier every day...until you see someone light up while watching TV, that one gets me still 10 years later.

Sure is a terrible smell isn't it? I always laugh when I see someone smoking and they'll tell me their significant other doesn't know. :lol: :lol: Sure they don't.

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Tue. Apr. 26, 2016 10:06 pm

cabinover wrote:Congrats on the not smoking part! It keeps getting easier every day...until you see someone light up while watching TV, that one gets me still 10 years later.

Sure is a terrible smell isn't it? I always laugh when I see someone smoking and they'll tell me their significant other doesn't know. :lol: :lol: Sure they don't.
I could start back up right now. But I do not miss it. Sounds weird but it is how it is. I have friends that smoke but I cant stand to smell them.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Wed. Apr. 27, 2016 5:47 am

This is an interesting turn in Your thread,Dave.... You've gotten me to wondering how mistreatment of the body and mind,namely addiction,is viewed by all of the Martial Arts Disciplines. :gee:

I would see them having absolutely no room for it...... :chop:

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Wed. Apr. 27, 2016 9:52 am

Hambden Bob wrote:This is an interesting turn in Your thread,Dave.... You've gotten me to wondering how mistreatment of the body and mind,namely addiction,is viewed by all of the Martial Arts Disciplines. :gee:

I would see them having absolutely no room for it...... :chop:
There are a few who train and still smoke. The one guy is really awesome, I could just imagine how he would be if he did not smoke. quitting is something I really wish I did years ago.

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Wed. Jan. 25, 2017 11:12 pm

Wow almost three years. I haven been on here much lately but an update on our progress. I am still smoke free. I am down to 180# from 217# almost three years ago. Still doing the Tang Soo do and some Hapkido and boxing. A lot of fun. My wife is prepping for her black belt in April for tang so do. I just tested for my blue belt this past weekend so I will be going for my black belt in the fall, or I may hold off if my daughter is not ready. I really want to test the same day as her . I was hoping the 3 of us together would test but it does not seem to be working that way because of my daughters age of 9 and her attention span. Although I have to say the past few months I have seen a lot of improvement in my daughter and her attention. She has realized that she is not a snowflake and does not get a trophy unless she earns it. :) No BERN for her. I also would not want to eat one of her kicks . For a small kid she has some power. I still highly recommend a good martial arts school as a family hobby. We have gained so much from the experience. Its funny we do a grueling hard push workout every few days and I hear the new people in the back panting and struggling and I remember when I could barely get 50 jumping jacks now I could do 10 times that and still keep an out loud count. While I have sympathy for the new arrivals I know if they work and stick with it they will progress as well. Ohyeah I could still start smoking again tomorrow. But I know better and am proud of the accomplishment.

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Thu. Jan. 26, 2017 3:23 am

Dave,

congratz on all that. Its a great accomplishment for you and the family, and the smoking thing... thats huge. Ive never smoked but Im pretty sure that if I started I wouldnt have what it takes to quit. :up:

waldo

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Sun. Apr. 30, 2017 10:39 pm

Here is my daughter at a tournament today. I am really proud of her. 2nd place in hand forms. Her weapons form was terrific as well. Really strong competition.

https://www.facebook.com/ddonnora/posts/10208979156335976?co ... 8914225177

https://www.facebook.com/ddonnora/posts/10208979156335976?co ... 8914225177

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Mon. May. 01, 2017 9:12 am

Outstanding indeed Dave. Proud for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Mon. May. 01, 2017 4:27 pm

Hmmm, I can't see the content of that Dave? Magic Fred can.......at any rate, congrats to the daughter. The discipline from this art form will follow her for a lifetime.

Kevin

Return to “Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing & Camping”