Camless Engines

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Thu. Apr. 28, 2016 8:27 am

Does anyone think this is a possible wave of the future, sure is about time to do some redesigning.
http://www.gizmag.com/qoros-qamfree-camless-engine/43045/

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Thu. Apr. 28, 2016 8:51 am

Yes,I saw a prototype 10+ years ago but I think the technology wasn't there yet but we will see this in the near future. My injectors in my diesel are fired with high pressure oil and a electric coil( without fail in 364,000 miles) so why couldn't it be done to open a valve? Just give it time :) .

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Apr. 28, 2016 8:57 am

Interesting. Thanks for posting that, Sam.

I see no reason why electronic controlled valves can't replace cam controlled valve train systems. Just like electronic fuel injection replaced mechanical fuel injection and carburetors. ;)

Paul

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Thu. Apr. 28, 2016 9:33 am

F1 engines have used this tech before and may be using it now.

Race on Sunday, sell on Monday :D

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Apr. 28, 2016 1:19 pm

It has been around for the last 20 years.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Thu. Apr. 28, 2016 5:12 pm

The old (1950's era) Mercedes F1 technology called the Desmodromic Valve accomplished zero valve float with no need for electronics, pnuematics, or hydraulics. Current F1 (Formula One) cars use pneumatic valves to my knowledge.

Current Ducatti motorcycles have resurrected the Desmodromic Valve.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Apr. 28, 2016 6:27 pm

Don't confuse what happens at high RPMs with race engines with what happens in a production vehicle engine at normal operating speeds. It's not an apples to oranges thing. Your every day vehicle engine tops out where some mild race engines are just waking up.

Mechanical camshafts are a compromise of low, mid, and high rpm range performance. For best performance you only get to pick one of the three. For anyone who has been able to compare stock, "street race" and "full race" cams , they will know that mechanical camshafts work best within a fairly narrow rpm range. The rest of the operating range is, so-so.

Like with carbs verse electronic fuel injection, the plus with electronically actuated valves is they can be computer controlled fine-tuned to opening time, duration, and overlap at all rpm's, load conditions, and altitude, to get the best performance , economy, and pollution control than a mechanical camshaft ever could.

Paul

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. Apr. 29, 2016 12:00 am

I just took my engine apart .. it has values.

Now what do I do with all these extra parts I found?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Apr. 29, 2016 9:29 am

davidmcbeth3 wrote:I just took my engine apart .. it has values.

Now what do I do with all these extra parts I found?
Lawn art!

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Apr. 29, 2016 5:22 pm

Wow, very interesting to have this topic come up. Very interesting because I thought I had blown the engine in my lawn mower. Turns out that the rocker arm bolt loosened up allowing the rods on one cylinder to come out of place and bent them all to hell. I replaced the rods and it runs great. I almost bought the used cub cadet down the road for $2000. The new rods were only $13.04 :lol:

Here's the thread I started over on tractorbynet if anyone wants to see pictures.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-lawn-garden/356978-john-deere-l120-briggs-stratton.html

Anyways. I got looking at all these moving parts and thought about all the energy they require to be thrust to and fro with respect to inertia and momentum and thought geez, seems like there would be a better way to do that. Same goes for pistons and rods. It must use a lot of the engines gross power to move all the parts back and forth. Why didn't the rotary engine succeed the traditional piston engines? :?

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Fri. Apr. 29, 2016 5:35 pm

I forgot to mention what Sunny Boy said, there is infinite adjustment with that kind of system( just like fuel injection ) the computer can make It whatever it needs it too be for any situation, and yes Lee less moving parts can be a good thing as long as there the right ones :D .

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Fri. Apr. 29, 2016 6:49 pm

Lightning wrote:Wow, very interesting to have this topic come up. Very interesting because I thought I had blown the engine in my lawn mower. Turns out that the rocker arm bolt loosened up allowing the rods on one cylinder to come out of place and bent them all to hell. I replaced the rods and it runs great. I almost bought the used cub cadet down the road for $2000. The new rods were only $13.04 :lol:

Here's the thread I started over on tractorbynet if anyone wants to see pictures.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-lawn-garden/356978-john-deere-l120-briggs-stratton.html

Anyways. I got looking at all these moving parts and thought about all the energy they require to be thrust to and fro with respect to inertia and momentum and thought geez, seems like there would be a better way to do that. Same goes for pistons and rods. It must use a lot of the engines gross power to move all the parts back and forth. Why didn't the rotary engine succeed the traditional piston engines? :?
When you put that bolt/stud back in the head throw a drop of blue Loc-tite on it. Then you won't have the problem again.

As for the rotary engine, I think it's due to emissions more than likely.

jpete
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Post by jpete » Fri. Apr. 29, 2016 6:55 pm

Yup. Rotary engines had high emissions, low torque and used a fair amount of gas. Not ideal in today's world.

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”