My First Radiator

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Tue. Apr. 26, 2016 7:53 pm

blrman07 wrote:Ok you inspired me to restore the heating system back to what it was which was hot water radiators. Why they were pulled out in favor of baseboard finned pieces of cheap I don't know.
Why? It was fashionable. Dumb, but fashionable. :(
blrman07 wrote:These two on the first floor and one on the second floor will heat our little 985 Sq foot home very nicely.
We have four on the first floor, only one for equivalent square footage on the second floor. A lot of heat goes up through the first floor ceilings and some up the stairs, so it balances out quite well. You will like the changeover, I think. :)

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Wed. Apr. 27, 2016 6:21 am

StokerDon wrote:Nice job Larry. That rad under the window really does look like it belongs there. So, you are going to run a gravity system, are you going to power it with the bucket-A-day or do you have something else in mind?

-Don
I will mostly be using the BAD. I have it plumbed into the oil boiler so the BAD heats the boiler and the water thermosyphens to the rad in the second floor bath and the kitchen. The one in the kitchen does so so but the bathroom radiator heats like a champ. Usually what I do when it's cold I disconnect the burner on the oil boiler and leave power going to the pump and thermostats. That way the pump sends the water through the radiators and the baseboards. The baseboards are really anemic compared to the radiators.

You think our ancestors knew what they were doing and later we screwed things up with the "stylish" baseboard finned jobs? Having felt the heat from baseboards and radiators, my money is on radiators everytime. :)

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Wed. Apr. 27, 2016 12:14 pm

blrman07 wrote:Usually what I do when it's cold I disconnect the burner on the oil boiler and leave power going to the pump and thermostats. That way the pump sends the water through the radiators and the baseboards. The baseboards are really anemic compared to the radiators ... Having felt the heat from baseboards and radiators, my money is on radiators everytime. :)
My boiler is oil only. I found I was able to turn down the boiler high-limit to 150 degrees and still get plenty of heat out of the radiators. Installers had set it at 208. Turning it down also saved me 30+ percent oil usage when only heating domestic hot water (cold-start boiler and external hot water storage tank). If we have a super cold snap and the coal stove is not running and the house is too cold, it's only a couple minutes to reset the high-limit dial so we don't dare touch the radiators. :o

Olllotj
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KB-8
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat
Other Heating: Utica Propane Hot Water

Post by Olllotj » Sun. May. 01, 2016 3:06 pm

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sun. May. 01, 2016 6:28 pm

Wow, that one is so long it don't even fit in the picture!

My monster is taller and prettier though.
MonsterRad 002.JPG
.JPG | 144.6KB | MonsterRad 002.JPG
MonsterRad 004.JPG
.JPG | 154.4KB | MonsterRad 004.JPG
-Don

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Mon. May. 02, 2016 6:55 am

Good grief man!!! If you had some end sections you could come up with at least 5 big radiators!!!!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. May. 02, 2016 11:52 am

Had one taller and about 2/3 the length of that long eBay one, in the master bed room of my last house. Odd thing is they built that two story with the longer radiators on the second floor than the first. Was always too hot in that bed room so that monster radiator was always kept turned off. Meanwhile, the large living room needed a bigger radiator.

If it wasn't so heavy, I'd have loved to swap that too-large bed room radiator with the too-small one downstairs in the living room, but I couldn't even budge one end of it. :(

Paul

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman

Post by StokerDon » Mon. May. 02, 2016 12:26 pm

blrman07 wrote:
Good grief man!!! If you had some end sections you could come up with at least 5 big radiators!!!!
Ahh, Yes, that is the problem with these "to big" radiators, you could split them into two radiators if you could come up with two more end sections. I will likely separate my monster rad down to 8 or 9 sections. That will work much better in the rooms that I have. The only problem is what to do with the unused sections??? Ya can't scrap'em, their to beautiful!

-Don

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. May. 02, 2016 12:54 pm

SD,
A local friend got a new Axman Anderson boiler a few years ago. He picked up a bunch of radiators the size and decoration similar to the ones in your picture, from a salvage place. And like yours he did a beautiful job of cleaning and repainting them. He has a well insulated split level, but didn't like the baseboard heat because it gave up the heat too quickly causing parts of rooms to stay chilly areas.

He thought about using smaller radiators, he then figured that since he was breaking it up into zones, he could always adjust the temp/volume, if rooms got too hot. But, if they were too small he'd be screwed. With our central NY winters they worked out very well as large as your pictured one, without overheating rooms. They just kept the rooms warm that much longer. ;)

Paul

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Mon. May. 02, 2016 1:16 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:SD,
A local friend got a new Axman Anderson boiler a few years ago. He picked up a bunch of radiators the size and decoration similar to the ones in your picture, from a salvage place. And like yours he did a beautiful job of cleaning and repainting them. He has a well insulated split level, but didn't like the baseboard heat because it gave up the heat too quickly causing parts of rooms to stay chilly areas.

He thought about using smaller radiators, he then figured that since he was breaking it up into zones, he could always adjust the temp/volume, if rooms got too hot. But, if they were too small he'd be screwed. With our central NY winters they worked out very well as large as your pictured one, without overheating rooms. They just kept the rooms warm that much longer. ;)

Paul
I'm glad that worked out for your friend. I don't think putting my monster rad in my house is an option. I don't know if my pictures do it Justus, but it is a large footprint and at least 700 pounds. My house is on the small side. The only place big enough in my house to put it is under the picture window, but it is to tall to fit under it and I don't think the floor is strong enough to hold it. I also have no way of getting something that big and heavy into my house. If I split it down, I can get it through a doorway and into the dining room.

If it wasn't so pretty, I would just hook it up in the garage.

-Don

unhippy
Stoker Coal Boiler: MK2 #1

Post by unhippy » Mon. May. 02, 2016 3:44 pm

StokerDon wrote:

-Don
I'd hook it up in the garage.....why should a garage have to put up with only ugly stuff? :lol:

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Mon. May. 02, 2016 4:04 pm

He's got a good point there. :)

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Mon. May. 02, 2016 7:13 pm

unhippy wrote:
StokerDon wrote:

-Don
I'd hook it up in the garage.....why should a garage have to put up with only ugly stuff? :lol:
Don't you have a boiler to weld together or someth'in???

-Don

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sat. May. 07, 2016 9:12 pm

Well, I guess this makes it 22 total.

I picked up 4 Weil McLain radiators today. They are the Cameo model. Three with 6 tubes and one with 5 tubes. One of the 6 tube units is 22 sections long, 14,960 BTU at 180 degrees. That's a BIG one! The other ones are 14 section = 9,520 BTU and a 13 section = 8,840 BTU. The 5 tube unit is 14 sections long = 8,330 BTU. That is quite a bit of radiation, enough to heat a small house.
DSC07138.JPG
.JPG | 194.9KB | DSC07138.JPG
DSC07139.JPG
.JPG | 203KB | DSC07139.JPG
DSC07140.JPG
.JPG | 193.5KB | DSC07140.JPG
I removed all the unions and nipples. Then I pressure tested the big one.
DSC07142.JPG
.JPG | 264KB | DSC07142.JPG
DSC07141.JPG
.JPG | 169.4KB | DSC07141.JPG
It reads, "Cameo, Weil McLain Co".
DSC07143.JPG
.JPG | 162.8KB | DSC07143.JPG
"ERIE PA"
DSC07144.JPG
.JPG | 105.3KB | DSC07144.JPG
There not ornate, but these are really nice radiators. All they need is to have the crappy latex paint removed!
DSC07145.JPG
.JPG | 140.9KB | DSC07145.JPG
I posted a couple videos of them.

Good thing I've got all Summer to get 8 or 10 of these things refinished!

-Don

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Sun. May. 08, 2016 6:33 am

Jeez don, are you just going to put these around the outside of your place and heat the whole yard?

Great looking radiators! My next step also is removing the current paint on mine and re-finishing them.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”