Coal Boiler Sighting

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Tue. Apr. 12, 2016 9:49 pm

I'm throwing in with 'Newbs.........

We may have very well lost it early in the Off-Season. Damn thing reminds me of Burl Ives as the Snowman in Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer.....

They'll be cartin' me off in a couple of minutes after this is posted........ :dancing:

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Apr. 12, 2016 10:06 pm

:D :D

dbsuz05
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham 23"

Post by dbsuz05 » Wed. Apr. 13, 2016 9:56 pm

Behind that mask is a beautiful face..... Just needs the oil burner out of it!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Apr. 14, 2016 9:58 pm

dbsuz05 wrote:Behind that mask is a beautiful face..... Just needs the oil burner out of it!
And pray that they didn't throw out the grates when they converted it. Many grates got sent to be scrapped by the oil companies that did the conversions. :(

Paul

unhippy
Stoker Coal Boiler: MK2 #1

Post by unhippy » Fri. Apr. 15, 2016 1:40 am

Whatever breed that boiler is, it looks to be trimmed out for steam......that thing the bucket is hanging off appears to be the blowdown valve under a float type low water cut off.....behind the LWCO appears to be a level sight gauge.....and it looks like the gauge up at the top left of the picture is sitting on a pigtail.

Callum

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Apr. 16, 2016 1:06 pm

Agreed.

stovepipemike

Post by stovepipemike » Sun. Apr. 24, 2016 7:19 am

Form follows function and one has to admit that durability is a key ingredient in the picture of this boiler ,since it has probably not seen any sunlight in 60-70 years. Gotta love it !! Mike

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Fri. May. 13, 2016 10:02 am

That probably is asbestos. It's been coated to prevent fibers from escaping. My mother had one like that in her basement that was converted to gas. She married a man who did asbestos abatement. The first thing he did when he saw it was have a sample tested and it was asbestos. He coated it instead of removal. Said it was safer not to disturb it. 10 years later my mother was having a new boiler installed. The installers wouldn't touch the job until the asbestos was removed. She was divorced by then so the abatement guy was gone. She grabs a putty knife and goes to work. The installers come back and remove the old giant. I really hesitated to visit her for a while concerned about contamination.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. May. 13, 2016 11:18 am

The asbestos scare was way overblown. The problem is with some who worked with the stuff daily in factories and installing it - very high levels of years of exposure.

What they didn't tell people was that for about 75 years all the roads in this country and the land near it, were covered with asbestos fibers from everytime someone stepped on a brake, or clutch peddle. Then it gets tossed around by the wind, and/or, air turbulence of vehicles traveling down the road. If asbestos was the problem they tried to say it was, there would be a lot of the same problems showing up in people who drive for a living but never worked with asbestos. And they'd be worried about all that contaminated dirt alongside roads.

The abatement industry and law suits made, and still are making, fortunes for those riding that wave of panic. ;)

Paul

robinkg

Post by robinkg » Wed. Oct. 26, 2016 7:25 pm

I have a Detroit Jewel 1920s oven that has asbestos lining on back of stove. There is a little rust on edge and I am afraid it is exposed. Can I cover it up? Its on back of stove.

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Thu. Oct. 27, 2016 4:10 am

My list is rather scary.. Benzene toluene acetone asbestos leaded race gas at 3 times the legal limit methanol nitro methane aluminum dust I smoke not afraid of a few glasses of wine or a margarita work in exhaust fouled engine test cells with sound levels above 120 db. We all seem to die in the motorsports biz of heart attacks or COPD sometimes cancer but make history along the way. I have been published in several books and magazines and engineered world records 13 so far most still stand some from 1995. A little asbestos boiler covering is not a big deal. If worried spray it with a little water and can't get airborne. Same with mold everyone is terrified of a little water and spores can't get in the air. Common sense goes a long way. I wonder where you can buy more asbestos boiler covering without some sort of permit and certification if you can at all.

robinkg

Post by robinkg » Thu. Oct. 27, 2016 5:04 am

Thank you for the response. So just spray the rusted part of the back covering of the stove that is deteriorating and with a little bit of holes or space with water and the asbestos cannot get airborne? After I clean it can I spray with some sealant that is heat tolerant? Thanks so much and hope you live long life.

Robin

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Oct. 27, 2016 7:13 am

Just paint the asbestos with some hi-temp paint and seal it up.

robinkg

Post by robinkg » Thu. Oct. 27, 2016 7:29 am

SUPER THANKS!!!!!!!!

Robin

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”